Best tours in Port Canaveral and Charlestown SC

pris993

Looking for suggestions for these two ports since we have not been there prior from those who have been there. What did you enjoy seeing the most in these two ports?

Hi Pris993,

I don't know about the ship-sponsored tours, but I can answer questions about Port Canaveral. I live right next to the port.

The Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area is a great port of call, but any of our recommendations would have to be based on what YOU like to do, what time you arrive and depart, and what sort of expectations your group may have for independent versus organized fun ;-)

Regards,

Johncn

I believe that if you are only going to be in the Canaveral area once in your life you really must give serious consideration to visiting the space center. Standing near some this hardware is really awe inspiring if for no other reason than the size.

I'm particularly fond of the tour that goes into Cape Canaveral AFB and visits the 'old stuff' as I call it: the stuff still surviving from Mecury and Gemini. Heck I remember watching those launches as a kid....not to mention Apollo. Yea the shuttle is cool but the old stuff - that took GUTS to sit on those time bombs.

Check out the KSC web sites and dig around cuz beyond what's in the basic admission there are other tours too.

Then decide if the ship's tour is good for you - I'm sure they have one .... or renting a car and DIY is better (easy to do)

And look into getting free admission via your congressman....

Take the carriage ride in Charleston. Do not go through Princess!! After your ride you'll know the "lay of the land" and can go back on your own. Charleston is lovely and all sights within walking distance.

Definitely the Space Center...it's been made more visitor-friendly and it IS quite impressive to see the massive equipment!

The new shuttle launch simulator is a cool experience, too...although an immersive technology more than a "ride". ;-) I've not done the half-day ATX "Astronaut Training" simulation, but that may be fun sometime. The Astronaut Hall of Fame is separate, and also engaging for space buffs.

But, while I agree that the Kennedy Space Center is impressive, and my favorite part is also the old launch site area, not everyone is interested in spending the day being herded around on a bus, and/or in giant immersive theatres. Families with very little children, for instance, or those kids who are not interested in space OR history may not think KSC is the way to go.

It is also as expensive as a theme park these days, even though our taxes pay for it just like the Smithsonian. To really see the whole enchilada you need admission, tours and experiences that will end up costing $75 - $100 or more dollars...each. Unlike any other national treasure.

Free tickets through some members of Congress are available, but there is apparently an allotment that varies by...member? Year? Not sure, but you can only apply 2 - 6 months in advance (depends on the Member), and your luck may vary. Some members of Congress are already out of tickets for this year. Some simply don't offer them.

You must be clear that you are NOT looking for launch tickets. Those are close to impossible to get. The "tour" requests for Kennedy Space Center Complex will probably be handled by a lowly intern doing constituency relations, and he or she may not know about this kind of unusual request. Still, some have gotten great complimentary passes which have Maximum Access badges, tours and so on. That is like a $400 freebie for a family of four (the maximum request), so good luck!

Here are some links about free tickets:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1206663

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25451499

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37610755

Here is a description of the tours and activities at KSC:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/pdf/146690main_kscvc.pdf

There are requirements for type of ID needed, and foreign visitor regulations:

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tickets-terms-and-conditions.aspx

Hope this helps, but don't forget there is also lots of other stuff to do in the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area if this isn't your cup of tea. Unless your ship is in for a fairly long visit that day, the Orlando theme park thing may not be your best bet. It's madness for short visits! Also, it depends on your group and interests.

Regards,

Johncn

• 3 years later...
Take the carriage ride in Charleston. Do not go through Princess!! After your ride you'll know the "lay of the land" and can go back on your own. Charleston is lovely and all sights within walking distance.

Where do we get the carriage ride? Any idea of the costs? Is there a HOHO bus in Charleston?

Where do we get the carriage ride? Any idea of the costs? Is there a HOHO bus in Charleston?

There are several competing carriage businesses near the market - can't help you with the prices. I do not recall ever seeing a ho/ho bus tour in Charleston - the downtown area is not that big and the streets are narrow in several spots.