We know the ships have a doctor, what about a dentist?

KyleClark

I've never been on a ship that had a dentist on board, but it's possible that ships doing lengthy itineraries such as world cruises may have a dentist. I had a dental problem on a South American cruise a few years ago, but I had to wait until I got home to have it treated.

I suggest you bring a dental repair kit; I NEVER travel without one. You can buy them at most drug stores. After having had an on-lay come off during my first cruise, I fixed it temporarily and when I got back, my dentist admired my work saying I had missed my calling :D. You can temporarily re-attach a crown or plug a lost filling, too. I have never read or seen any evidence of there being a dentist on board ships; I imagine they expect the crew to take care of routine dental work during leaves and probably have a list of dentists in every port for emergencies.

Edited by carol louise

No Dentist but the ship's Doctor will give you pain meds. etc. They will also extract a tooth for you if necessary but that's about it.

I think I rather tie a string to the tooth and cabin door and hope for the best...lol Seriously I always take an emergency repair kit just incase.

• 3 years later...

When I worked at a shipping agency some decades ago, we used to have a dentist in town which would attend crewmembers in an emergency. Maybe agencies now could do the same for passengers...

I can't speak for NCL specifically but my mother had a tooth destroyed by a hard roll on a Celebrity cruise, and the ship made accommodations for her to see a dentist in St. Thomas. It seemed that the ship knew of dentists in the various ports that they could refer guests to in an emergency, and personnel on board could of course provide pain meds.

A friend of mine is a dentist. He said he looked into a program with some cruise line, don't know which, that would provide a dentist with a free and deluxe cruise experience, if they would serve as the ship's dentist on an as needed basis during the cruise. However, he said they only provided an on board dentist for cruises 10 days or longer. He declined.

I can't speak for NCL specifically but my mother had a tooth destroyed by a hard roll on a Celebrity cruise, and the ship made accommodations for her to see a dentist in St. Thomas. It seemed that the ship knew of dentists in the various ports that they could refer guests to in an emergency, and personnel on board could of course provide pain meds.

This is what I've heard as well...no personal experience.

I've never heard of the repair kits. Where would one look at the drug store? Never seen one with the toothpaste, etc. Sounds like a good idea to add to our emergency cruise medicine cabinet. We learned our lesson in New Zealand when we had to spend good shore time looking for a drug store.

A friend of mine is a dentist. He said he looked into a program with some cruise line, don't know which, that would provide a dentist with a free and deluxe cruise experience, if they would serve as the ship's dentist on an as needed basis during the cruise. However, he said they only provided an on board dentist for cruises 10 days or longer. He declined.

My dentist, making small talk during my root canal :eek:, said that he has a friend who's done this. Don't know which cruise line, tho.

This is what I've heard as well...no personal experience.

I've never heard of the repair kits. Where would one look at the drug store? Never seen one with the toothpaste, etc. Sounds like a good idea to add to our emergency cruise medicine cabinet. We learned our lesson in New Zealand when we had to spend good shore time looking for a drug store.

If you're having trouble finding this, they do sell them on Amazon. Then again, I think they sell EVERYTHING on Amazon! :D