Do You Fake-Bake Before You Go?

Sugar*Magnolia

Nope, as I said above, my DH is hispanic and has had melanoma. Even though he can "tan" easily, he wears lots of sunscreen and sits in the shade. His oncologist and his dermatologists both told him that. I spent years putting sunscreen on myself and our boys with him saying he didn't need it. Well, obviously he did because it doesn't matter what your complexion is when it comes to sun damage. He now stays fair year around, even though he could easily be "tanned" after a few hours in the sun too. What I'm not sure of is why some supposedly intelligent people think tans are safe. And I love how some people can justify anything. BTW, this is not about any one particular poster, but also about previous threads on this same topic.

BTW, there's no such thing as a "safe" tanning bed. And, until you've had skin cancer or someone close to you has, it's easy to say you're doing it "safely".

It is unfortunate that stating the facts is considered lecturing by some people on these boards.

I must have missed the post referring to safe tanning....:confused: I didnt see anyone post that tanning was safe.

One poster did say she went to more expensive tanning beds because they aren't as bad for you. That is a complete fallacy. Every tanning bed is bad for you, regardless of how much you pay for the bed. It would be like saying, I buy more expensive cigarettes because you don't get lung cancer as easily.

I tan usually 3x's a week for roughly 3-4 weeks prior. I still use sunscreen when cruising, but the base tan I get from the beds really does help keep ME from burning. I don't typically tan on a regular basis otherwise.

My MIL works for the FDA so believe me, I know all about the risks. :rolleyes:

One poster did say she went to more expensive tanning beds because they aren't as bad for you. That is a complete fallacy. Every tanning bed is bad for you, regardless of how much you pay for the bed. It would be like saying, I buy more expensive cigarettes because you don't get lung cancer as easily.

Ohhhhh...hmmmm, did she say that? Thats def not true, lol. I used to pay extra too for the 'better' stand up booth, but the better booth absolutly does not mean less 'rays'....or healthier tanning. thats just a fallacy if folks beleive that! lol

I told him that I tan 2x/wk or so for a month before a cruise. I said if I don't, I BURN, even slathering on sunscreen. He knows that I am neurotic about sunscreen for the whole family all summer (we are often at the pool) & yearly checks.

He said--"I can't condone it BUT getting burnt while on vacation is NO better, and it's not much fun to ruin a vacation..."

Just repeating what I heard...

I told him that I tan 2x/wk or so for a month before a cruise. I said if I don't, I BURN, even slathering on sunscreen. He knows that I am neurotic about sunscreen for the whole family all summer (we are often at the pool) & yearly checks.

He said--"I can't condone it BUT getting burnt while on vacation is NO better, and it's not much fun to ruin a vacation..."

Just repeating what I heard...

That is EXACTLY what mine says!

I am very fair and if I do give my self just a tiny bit of base, it makes all the difference in the world. I still slather myself with sunblock but I can now swim, walk on the beach etc without worrying so much about burning. Yes, a tan is still skin damage but it is way less damage than a burn.

I am in exactly the same boat. I am so fair that even with high SPF I would be a lobster the first day and my vacation would be ruined.

I don't over do it. I start out at like 3minutes...actually takes me longer to get ready to get in the bed. It takes me a month to work up to 20 minutes... and a hint of color. I still look pale compared to most people...but I can put on sunscreen and enjoy the beach.

I only tan when prepping for a beach vacation. I know it is not good for me..but what would be worse is to be covered with blisters and not be able to go outside for days. :eek: Trust me...I've been there when I was younger.

It is unfortunate that stating the facts is considered lecturing by some people on these boards.

Thats fine if she was asking advice on safety on tanning, but she was asking whether we use fake tans etc, so advice wasnt really needed, I would say you would have to be really dim if you didnt know the risks of tanning these days, but its a persons choice, I would say most of the people I see have colour in their skin, so one way or another they sit in the sun or use a salon. I can tell if its fake tan.

Thats fine if she was asking advice on safety on tanning, but she was asking whether we use fake tans etc, so advice wasnt really needed, I would say you would have to be really dim if you didnt know the risks of tanning these days, but its a persons choice, I would say most of the people I see have colour in their skin, so one way or another they sit in the sun or use a salon. I can tell if its fake tan.

No one was giving advice. People were stating both opinions and facts which is something that we all have the right to do around here.

No one was giving advice. People were stating both opinions and facts which is something that we all have the right to do around here.

The OP wasnt asking for facts and opinions on the dangers of tanning though.:confused: And I am sure that they know them.

If someone asks a question asking whether they use sunbeds or fake tan, you get answers from people with their life story on how they have skin cancer or someone they know has. That wasnt what was asked. I agree with what they are saying but those answers are for a different question surely?

The OP wasnt asking for facts and opinions on the dangers of tanning though.:confused: And I am sure that they know them.

If someone asks a question asking whether they use sunbeds or fake tan, you get answers from people with their life story on how they have skin cancer or someone they know has. That wasnt what was asked. I agree with what they are saying but those answers are for a different question surely?

Then I guess that every post to this thread should have been a one word either "Yes" or "no" .....including yours.

I start at 6 min. in a low level bed 2x/wk...7 min. after 2wks...8 min. is the MOST I have ever tanned.

I BURN QUICKLY without sunscreen...get a bit of color doing this for 4-6 wks. But with 50+SPF EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY I am out in the Caribbean/Mexican sun, I have not burned, but usually come home with a nice tan.

Those yearly visits to the dermo are a MUST.

I am one of the lucky few Olive complexion Italians, so I rarely burn, but

I still put on the sunscreen for protection. One afternoon in the sun and I usually look like I've spent a week in Maui....Jealous?:D

Im kinda the same way as far as skin goes. Im not a "sun god" but a couple hours a week a few weeks before a cruise will get me nice and dark. Where I live, it stays warm up through Mid Nov. Even at 60 deg and sunny, Its still warm enougth for me to get some sun. Im usually tanned from Apr through Dec unless Im on a cruise in Dec. I do allot of boating where I live on weekends. From Dec till end of March, its to cold out to get any sun. I dont do tanning salons. Once on ship. I only stay around the pool a few hours at a time. not all day.

On the Panama canal trip I was very dark after just 1 day of taking pics.

Wow - who has to go thru all of that? I just put it on in place of my regular lotion every morning for a week or two prior to my vacation - I'm talking about the "gradual tan" kind. I'm careful to wash my hands afterwards, and I exfoliate my entire body in the shower every other day or so. No splotchy, blotchy, laying-on-a-towel. Dries just like regular body lotion. No problems going in the pool or ocean and it wears off gradually over the course of a few weeks after I get back from vacation, just like a normal tan would. Looks perfectly natural - like "me" with a bit of a golden glow instead of pale blotchy skin that shows every ugly age mark.

may i ask what brand you use?

thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Do you pre-tan, fake-bake?

Do you go to the Tanning Salon for a base of color so you dont burn? Or just so you look good!!?? :D How long do you pretan? Weeks? Months?

I admit, for years I used to go to the tanning salon. I follow the look good, feel good rule. Our tanning salon abruptly closed, so I stopped going a couple yrs ago. This past June we cruised [9nt explorer]; Uh Oh, CD.NJ burned, even with sun block. :eek: I have the ugly new freckles all over my shoulders now.

Back to the tanning salon this week for our 12/19 cruise!

I would go into a salon that does airbrush tans about two days before you leave. It costs about $35.00 or so and it is a very natural looking tan. It stays on about nine or ten days. Then as you get sun on the cruise it will replace the airbrush. That way you don't have to use a tanning bed. :rolleyes:

I would go into a salon that does airbrush tans about two days before you leave. It costs about $35.00 or so and it is a very natural looking tan. It stays on about nine or ten days. Then as you get sun on the cruise it will replace the airbrush. That way you don't have to use a tanning bed. :rolleyes:

This is the route I was planning on trying this time (airbrush). My concern - since I've never gotten a spray tan before - does it "wear off" in water? Just thinking sitting by the pool first couple of days, will I get streaky? and before formal night?

Just wondering - thanks for any help :p

I spoke to my dermatologist today and he said he would never trust a fellow MD who said fake bakes were OK as opposed to burning in the sun. He just wrote a paper for his professional journal against tanning beds/booths.

Fake tans are not harmful. Burning in the sun is. Just what is your demalologist issue with that?

Fake tans are not harmful. Burning in the sun is. Just what is your demalologist issue with that?

Fake BAKE refers to "it's safe in a tanning bed" (Which it's not... established fact!:))

I have a "flyer" here for spray tanning.... Anymore reports on it. I am considering it.. I haven't had many problems with "tan in a bottle" so I think I might be a good candiate!

(And I am a BIG fan of sunblock and still had a melenoma this year. Payback for those years of lifeguarding when we thought "baby oil" was "suntan lotion" :) )

Fake BAKE refers to "it's safe in a tanning bed" (Which it's not... established fact!:))

I have a "flyer" here for spray tanning.... Anymore reports on it. I am considering it.. I haven't had many problems with "tan in a bottle" so I think I might be a good candiate!

(And I am a BIG fan of sunblock and still had a melenoma this year. Payback for those years of lifeguarding when we thought "baby oil" was "suntan lotion" :) )

I didn't realize your "fake bake" was referring to a tanning bed. I was thinking spray tan. Sorry, I completely agree with your dematologist on that one.

Archived