Do You Fake-Bake Before You Go?

Sugar*Magnolia

you know there are so many pros and cons to this issue.! For me I desperately need the light therapy as I work nights and live in Eastern Oregon. I am trying to "tan" for 15" once a week just to stay sane!

Ther is a big difference between light therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder or people living noturnal lives and ultraviolet lighting in a tanning bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanning IS bad for you, everyone knows that! And yes, repeated, excessive exposure causes damage to your skin eventually leading to melanoma. But a little 2 week tan session before a cruise to prevent blisters and peeling is probably not going to instantaneously cause a melanoma, just like smoking one pack of cigarattes is probably not going to give you lung cancer... which is why I am tanning now for my cruise in 9 days :cool: So to the OP, yes I tan before a cruise to the tropics because 2 weeks of a little sun isnt going to kill me :o

Tanning IS bad for you, everyone knows that! And yes, repeated, excessive exposure causes damage to your skin eventually leading to melanoma. But a little 2 week tan session before a cruise to prevent blisters and peeling is probably not going to instantaneously cause a melanoma, just like smoking one pack of cigarattes is probably not going to give you lung cancer... which is why I am tanning now for my cruise in 9 days :cool: So to the OP, yes I tan before a cruise to the tropics because 2 weeks of a little sun isnt going to kill me :o

Maybe not but every single time just increases your risk more and more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I know the arguments, I do a little bit of tanning bed just to take off the Casper shade. If everyone was as afraid of the sun as they say they are, I'd be able to find a lounge chair in the sun by the pool.

I agree. Living in the great white north, I fake bake during the winter months. Not seeing much sun during the months of November, December, January, February and March is depressing. I don't care if people think I look better with a tan--I FEEL BETTER when I get some sun. People need vitamin D and I get that from the ultraviolet lights from tanning beds. Also I have never had a vacation ruined from a first tan sun burn.

Now, let the scolding and flaming continue!

I didn't realize your "fake bake" was referring to a tanning bed. I was thinking spray tan. Sorry, I completely agree with your dematologist on that one.

I think there is a bit of confusion since some people refer to tanning in a tanning bed as fake baking. However, there is an actual product called Fake Bake to which others may be referring. When I hear fake bake, this is what I think.

http://www.beautybridge.com/fabasepr.html?cmp=msn

• 2 weeks later...

I sail to the Caribbean in two weeks and am tempted to get a spray tan because I am so pale and SCREAM tourist!! :D

I would never get a 'proper' tan in a booth or bed though, partly because of the prolongerd damage and partly because I want to look completely different when I come back off of the cruise!! I don't want people to have already seem me tanned! :)

Archived