Objection to Tuxedos and Gowns?

sail7seas

and didn't think that I was suggesting a negative. I would think that if you are in formal wear you would prefer to be dining with others formally dressed and not being seated with someone dressed casually. I would expect that there would be a real dining room or even using the Pinnacle that night at no extra charge for the formally dressed. If they did, I might bite the bullet and buy a new tux.

;) NOOOOO, Not interested.

We expect to dine in the Main Dining Room. We will dine in alternative venues on our choice. It is also relevant to mention there are far too many folks who dress formal to be able to accomodate them in Pinnacle. Pinnacle on "S" and "R" ships are not very big. Even on Vista and Signature, Pinnacle could not seat everyone who has dressed according to HAL's 'formal code'.

I'm so glad I asked. It has been something I was wondering about.

DH and I went shopping yesterday for a new tuxedo for him. We have never sailed HAL when he did not have a tuxedo and we aren't ready yet for him to stop. Happy to hear there are many of us who will still be dressing to code (and even in tuxedo.) Thank you. :)

Although my dh will not be wearing a tux on our next cruise, both my friend and I will be in long gowns. Our dh's will wear dark suits. We want to dress up. It's fun and it gives us another place to wear the gowns that we wore when our sons were married this past year.

I certainly hope no one has the rudeness to object to anyone who wishes to dress up on a formal night! As for later in the evening, if one wishes to change into something a little less formal and walk the promenade deck, so be it. It certainly won't bother us.

Although my dh will not be wearing a tux on our next cruise, both my friend and I will be in long gowns. Our dh's will wear dark suits. We want to dress up. It's fun and it gives us another place to wear the gowns that we wore when our sons were married this past year.

If I didn't already own a tux, and a white dinner jacket for that matter, then I'd wear one of my dark suits. Personally, and we're big formal night fans, I see no problem with that and it keeps the spirit of the evening. Might add that I didn't buy my tux for cruising but to attend formal US Army functions with my ex who was an Army officer and had to wear her dress blues to functions. Good thing my weight hasn't changed and that the basic black tuxedo is pretty much the same today as twenty years ago. :)

DH and I "dress up" every night for dinner when we cruise, unless of course we decide to dine in our cabin. This is just another part of the wonderful HAL vacation experience we honestly enjoy. It's fun "dressing-up" for dinner. If I want to see jeans and polo shirts in an upscale dining room we can just hop on over to our local Morton's or Ruth's Chris. On a cruise, I vote for formal night every night!

My job requires me to occasionally wear cocktail dresses or gowns, and DH's avocation requires that he own a tux. Since we already have these things in our wardrobes, it's a treat to have another chance to wear them. It doesn't make us "feel important," it makes us feel appropriately dressed. Sort of like dressing for church. Plus, we both look so good (to each other, anyway)!

I don't pay much attention to what others are wearing, unless it's particularly spectacular.

My job requires me to occasionally wear cocktail dresses or gowns, and DH's avocation requires that he own a tux. Since we already have these things in our wardrobes, it's a treat to have another chance to wear them. It doesn't make us "feel important," it makes us feel appropriately dressed. Sort of like dressing for church. Plus, we both look so good (to each other, anyway)!

I don't pay much attention to what others are wearing, unless it's particularly spectacular.

That's probably a bad comparison. My parents' church is extremely casual. The pastor still wears a suit, but his wife shows up in jeans, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. At least 50% of the congregation wears jeans and T's and another 25% wear shorts in the summer. There are a few traditionalists who actually dress up (wearing trousers/polo or a sundress is "dressing up" there), but they are in the minority. I know God doesn't care how you look on the outside nor should anyone else, but I'm uncomfortable with not dressing up for church. When I visit I always wear a skirt or dressy pants so I'm one of the "over-dressed" ones. It just seems weird to me to go to church dressed for working in the yard.

I grew out of playing dress-up 50 years ago. I personally find some people do go overboard on formal night to the point of being pretentious and silly (but at least they're observing the rules), but I'm also a bit offended if someone shows up to the MDR in casual clothes.

I don't like it, but I either dress up (for me that means a long gown or skirt, but not a ballgown or red-carpet look) or I eat in the Lido (remember that is an option for us, we don't have to go find a lower-class cruise line!).

What bugs me is when people in their formal wear come into the Lido for dessert because the service is so danged slow in the MDR. :D

Anyone seen the recent Carnival TV ad. A man in shorts, rolled up shirt & flip-flops dancing like he is rather inebriated? No tuxes or dressing up required there.

Personally I feel class will tell, especially on a cruise ship.

A coworker just got off the Carnival cruise from Hawaii. She said for the two formal nights approximately 80 percent dressed up in gowns and tuxes.

I had an experience with this on our last cruise. Apparently I was too dressed for another passenger's taste on a 'smart casual' night. I was wearing black slacks, black & while print shell with a black linen swing jacket. FAR from formal, but I still met with her vocal disdain. :rolleyes:

There's room for nearly everyone's choice of dress. From the MDR, where you really ought to dress at least smart casual every night, to less formal (if you desire) Lido, to eating in your stateroom in a robe if you wish. There are far more important subjects to focus on. As Sandra posted earlier, "I don't pay much attention to what others are wearing, unless it's particularly spectacular." Who has time to fuss about whether the person seated next to them is overdressed on "smart casual" night, or under dressed in a jacket on formal nights?

I enjoy seeing those who are formally dressed and wished that the ship set aside one dining room and time for those who are formal and can all enjoy each other's company.

My understanding is that they have already done this. It is called the MDR. The Lido is always open to all for dining in whatever level of dress you want. The MDR is the dining room that is set aside for formal nights on specific days - evening meal time frame.

I guess it is all in how you want to look at it. I enjoy seeing my DH dressed up spiffy and handsome, and like that they set aside opportunities for us to make the effort to "beautify ourselves". We have few events in our lives now that give us that excuse, and we enjoy seeing each other looking "mighty fine, thank you".

Enjoy! :)

We are renting a tux this year for close to the same reason: don't want to have to pay for packing suit, etc and seems easier to have tux waiting for us. And I am packing lightweight dresses for formal nights.

If anyone looks sideways at my hubbie in a tux, they'd better watch out. I'll smack them with my evening bag!!!!

LOL...:D Oh No, don't hit them with your eve. bag, it will leave an impression...Use the kick method instead...It hurts, but doesn't leave a scar! That's what our Police Dept teaches ladies, when fending off a mugger..Hey, isn't it the same thing :rolleyes:

I grew out of playing dress-up 50 years ago. I personally find some people do go overboard on formal night to the point of being pretentious and silly (but at least they're observing the rules), but I'm also a bit offended if someone shows up to the MDR in casual clothes.

Please describe those who you believe go overboard, to the point of being pretentious & silly! You seem to be straddling the fence..

DH & I are doing a "Renewal of Vows" on our Noordam cruise..Do not know if it will be on a Formal or smart casual night...I'm wearing an ankle length aqua chiffon dress with a jacket which has pearls on the shoulders..It's quite fancy, as I wore it to our Son's wedding..Will you consider my mode of dress to be pretentious & silly if I appear in the MDR dressed like that on a casual night..?

I don't like it, but I either dress up (for me that means a long gown or skirt, but not a ballgown or red-carpet look) or I eat in the Lido (remember that is an option for us, we don't have to go find a lower-class cruise line!).

What bugs me is when people in their formal wear come into the Lido for dessert because the service is so danged slow in the MDR. :D

Why do people who are dressed formally & come into the Lido for dessert, offend you? We don't do it, but sometimes wish that we could have dessert later...The Lido is perfect for a late dessert & coffee..

Cheers....:)Betty

Serendipity,

See the little grinny face after my post? That was a clue that my statement was a joke--for those who couldn't see that from just the wording. I don't know how to make it clearer for people who don't get the grinny face. :confused:

Serendipity,

See the little grinny face after my post? That was a clue that my statement was a joke--for those who couldn't see that from just the wording. I don't know how to make it clearer for people who don't get the grinny face. :confused:

I got the tongue in cheek comment. You don't have to make it clearer.;)

But, to each their own...I never notice what others are wearing...especially if we're at see and trying to navigate our way to our table. I would probably only notice if someone was wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt or shorts!

You would sure notice here then, sounds like the "uniform of the Day" summer and winter. :D

That is not the requested dining apparel on board ships, though, so people should pick their vacations and respect the customs.

The Lido has the same food, some service, window tables and is a great place to dine. On our cruise aboard HAL, we ate in the MDR 4 times and the rest of the time in LIDO, even though I had purposely taken the only dark blazer that fits, 2 dress shirts and 2 ties. I also took 4 new polo shirts and some new shorts. :cool:

I love dressing up! I have a few lovely dresses that I only get to wear a few times a year, the cruise allows me to squeeze in a few more times. :D While hubby doesn't own or wear a Tux he does wear a dress shirt, suit coat and tie on formal nights. If I do say so myself, he dresses up quite nicely. :)

Kim

The above post may give the wrong impression. While shorts are always OK, the "Fine Dining" restaurants usually have diners who are more dressed up. Even a suit and tie is often seen in the winter, though we have a little-known and never enforced law AGAINST wearing ties.

DW and I like graduation time, when High School seniors are attending dinner all dressed up with most of the boys in tuxes and the girls in beautiful gowns. These kids are mostly from families who earn well below the poverty level, many of the girls gowns have been lovingly handmade by the mother or an aunt, and the boys have been saving for 6 months.

I have NEVER heard anyone say the kids were "overdressed" even though all the other diners were in shorts and many in flip-flops.

LOL...:D Oh No, don't hit them with your eve. bag, it will leave an impression...Use the kick method instead...It hurts, but doesn't leave a scar! That's what our Police Dept teaches ladies, when fending off a mugger..Hey, isn't it the same thing :rolleyes:

Why do people who are dressed formally & come into the Lido for dessert, offend you? We don't do it, but sometimes wish that we could have dessert later...The Lido is perfect for a late dessert & coffee..

Cheers....:)Betty

Obviously because you ruin the ambiance of the lido dressed that formally. Seriously if slacks and a golf shirt ruin your ambiance in the MDR(as silly as that sounds), then obviously a tux in the lido is ruining the casual feel of the lido. We don't want hypocrites on board do we?;)

The difference is HAL has no dress code suggestion that people dressed formal on formal night NOT go to Lido if they wish. They do say people who are not dressed according to the code set by HAL should NOT go to the MDR.

It's HAL's ship; they get the final say.

The difference is HAL has no dress code suggestion that people dressed formal on formal night NOT go to Lido if they wish. They do say people who are not dressed according to the code set by HAL should NOT go to the MDR.

It's HAL's ship; they get the final say.

It's a suggestion not a rule as witnessed hundreds of time in the MDR. Funny though the people not dressed by your standards are the most intelligent,funny and overall great people. ;)

Archived