Cadiz/Seville tour questions

Bruin Steve

We are on the Oceania Marina next August 10, docking in Cadiz on Saturday, August 20 from 1:00 pm until 10:00 pm...

Trying to figure out what best to do with this port...

I have been to Seville (my wife hasn't)-but I was there 35 years ago!

Among the ship's shorex options are a 4-hour tour of Cadiz for $119 per person and an 8-hour tour of Seville for $229 pp--which seems a bit pricey...

I have contacted one priivate tour operator so far ("Top Day Tours"/"Spain Day Tours") and viewed the websites of a couple of others...

The folks at Top Day Tours, say they will do a full day tour, picking us up at the ship at 1:15 and returning us to the ship by 9:00 pm for 79 Euros per person...They need a minimum of 10 people...but, it appears that they want to pretty much control the group and would take up to 22 people...We are more accustommed to forming our own, smaller group--though I would imagine that 22 people and 79 euros pretty much beats $229 and a large shorex bus...

Questions:

1) Has anyone else ever used this company?

2) Anyone else you'd recommend?

3) Any arguments for skipping Seville and staying in Cadiz? (Yes, I know August 20 will be HOT and it's a 90 minute ride each way)

Thanks...

Is there a reason you are not considering taking the train to Seville? We haven't done this but are thinking about it for our visit next month. It seems to me last time we were in Cadiz (a few years back), we could see the trains and station from where our ship docked.

If you are planning to stay in Cadiz you can either walk (old town is very small and walkable) or take HOHO bus (probably around 10 euros or so). For Sevilla you can take train (around 2 hrs o/w); station is no more than 10-15 min walk. For private tours try contacting this company http://www.lifestylesevilla.com/ I think they provided 22 seater bus for Seville tour from Cadiz (55-60 euro pp ballpark). Considering 3-4 hr round trip realistic max time in Seville will be only 2-3 hrs

Is there a reason you are not considering taking the train to Seville? We haven't done this but are thinking about it for our visit next month. It seems to me last time we were in Cadiz (a few years back), we could see the trains and station from where our ship docked.

Well...I have a few reasons for not just taking the train...

For one, it's a matter of style...We all tour differently. Some people tend to stick to the comfort and reliability of shore excursions. Others, and for a variety of reasons, prefer to "do it themselves". Others like to hire private tours or organize small group private tours.

For some people, the choice can be a matter of budget...while, for others, cost is not a concern...

With us, we've toured various ports in Europe by different methods...it usually depends on a number of factors with us.

First know that I am by no means a touring novice. I have not only taken a good number of European cruises, but I have also taken a fair number of long "land vacations" in Europe.

So, for each port I visit, I base my plans on:

1) Have I visited before and how well do I know the city and/or region?

2) How much time do we have in port?

3) Are there specific things I desire to see THIS trip?

4) How well does the port adapt itself to touring?

Generally, I do NOT like being dependent on combinations of local public transportation. The logistics general require too much of my limited time and there are too many variables such as construction and maintenance, labor strikes, schedule changes, etc. You also find yourself affected by touring logistics and how they fit into the train or bus schedules.

I also prefer the simple logistics of being met right at the pier and the flexibility of controlling the schedule--something you get only with a private tour.

The other superior quality of a private tour is that you see more--and more efficiently--with a guide who knows the town well.

I will usually "do" a port myself only where I am familiar with the city and the sites are quite accessable...also where the shorexes and "standard" tours visit places we've already seen and we want to visit something unusual.

On this cruise, for example, we plan on touring (if one could call it that), Barcelona on our own...We've been there several times, usually multiple-day stays...So, rather than a tour of any kind, we'll just wander on our own, visit favorite haunts, etc.

For Seville, I have been before (my wife hasn't) but it's been some years...Our hours in port (1:00 pm to 10:00 pm) are unusual...A basic tour of the city is in order...and we don't want to waste time trying to figure out a combination of transportation to get there and back and not miss the boat and still have the time to get to the various major sites...I would like a qualified tour guide or company to coordinate, schedule and work out the logistics...

Now, as another example...on our recently concluded Baltic tour, we had a stop in Rotterdam...I wished to visit Amsterdam (another town I had been to but my wife hadn't)...We also had unusual hours with a port distant from the city...While others from our Cruise Critic Roll Call chose to use the trains and visit on their own, we instead hired an excellent local guide and had a group of 12...I knew exactly what I wanted to see--and also knew there was no way I could coordinate the logistics on my own...Our guide managed to work out a near-perfect tour that worked like clockwork, getting us back and forth to Amsterdam directly from the ship, doing a Canal Boat ride, the Van Gogh Museum, lunch, the Rijksmuseum, Jewish Museum and Portuguese Synagogue, a city walking tour, a tour of a double canal house and gardens, the Red Light District and Anne Frank House...We had multiple guides, great narration and superior transportation...

Afterward, when comparing notes with our "Do it yourself" friends, they all related a more frustrating and less complete experience and wished they had come with us...

I guess that's the LONG explanation...and I didn't mean to "lecture"...I just want people to understand that "taking the train" is not necessarily the best option for every person or every port...

On our 2009 Celebrity Solstice transatlantice, we took the ship's tour of Seville from Cadiz. I do not remember it being as expensive as you quoted. We usually try to hire our own guides as we are usually a group of 4 or 6 and we are not thrilled about the long lunch stops and the multiple rest stops on the ship's shore excursions. However, the long distance from Cadiz to Seville troubled me. In my research, I could not find any tour that was comprehensive or much cheaper than the ship. The ship's tour turned out to be quite complete. We went to the Royal Palace, the Jewish Quarter, a walk through Seville, lunch in a lovely hotel and a trip to the Cathedral. It also turned out to be the best thing to do on that particular day as there was a flamenco festival and the city was a complete madhouse but very beautiful. Our guide had to call the ship and inform them that we would be late due to the horrible traffic in the city. We loved Seville and I think it would be worthwhile for your wife to experience it no matter what trip you opt for.

I hope someone will address OP's original question about Spain Day Tours. I also have been looking at them for our Cadiz port stop next May.

Does anyone have any feedback about CadizAndBeyond for the Seville trip?

The two companies are close in cost. I'm just trying to decide between them. Any guidance would be appreciated!

I had not intended to appear critical in any way. Just wondered if I was missing something. We also are more concerned when the destination ia a long way from the ship! As we have not been to Jerez, I think this time we may just go there and leave Seville for another trip.

I hope someone will address OP's original question about Spain Day Tours. I also have been looking at them for our Cadiz port stop next May.

Does anyone have any feedback about CadizAndBeyond for the Seville trip?

The two companies are close in cost. I'm just trying to decide between them. Any guidance would be appreciated!

I can't give you any feedback on the tours as we haven't yet used the company, but I will give you my research on the two companies that I checked with. First, we will have an overnight in Cadiz so don't have to worry about getting back quickly or missing the ship.

For Spain Day Tours (Or Top Day Tours), they require 50 euro per person deposit with the remainder due the day of the tour. The deposit is not refundable if the ship fails to make the port. Cadiz and Beyond requires all payment upfront, with no refund for cancellation if the ship does not make the port. Cadiz and Beyond needs a group of 10 or more to guarantee the tour. Spain Day Tours requires 14 people; however, they will do a private tour--the price is just more. When comparing tour companies, be sure to compare whether admission fees are included and how long the tour is. We are actually extending our tour to 10 hours since we have plenty of time--this is at no extra cost. We have the transportation, plus a 3 hr. tour,admission fees extra (Cathedral 7.5 euro, Alcazar 7 euro, 4 euro for upper floor). We will then have the remainder of the day free time. We haven't actually booked the tour since our trip isn't until next November 2011!

I can't give you any feedback on the tours as we haven't yet used the company, but I will give you my research on the two companies that I checked with. First, we will have an overnight in Cadiz so don't have to worry about getting back quickly or missing the ship.

For Spain Day Tours (Or Top Day Tours), they require 50 euro per person deposit with the remainder due the day of the tour. The deposit is not refundable if the ship fails to make the port. Cadiz and Beyond requires all payment upfront, with no refund for cancellation if the ship does not make the port. Cadiz and Beyond needs a group of 10 or more to guarantee the tour. Spain Day Tours requires 14 people; however, they will do a private tour--the price is just more. When comparing tour companies, be sure to compare whether admission fees are included and how long the tour is. We are actually extending our tour to 10 hours since we have plenty of time--this is at no extra cost. We have the transportation, plus a 3 hr. tour,admission fees extra (Cathedral 7.5 euro, Alcazar 7 euro, 4 euro for upper floor). We will then have the remainder of the day free time. We haven't actually booked the tour since our trip isn't until next November 2011!

Thanks for the info! This is very useful.

We are booked with Cadiz and Beyond for Nov 5th. I will let you know how it goes. As a previous poster indicated, they require payment upfront which I don't really like but I was able to confirm that we would receive our money back if the ship did not dock in Cadiz.

Great! I would really hearing about your day in Seville.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We are booked with Cadiz and Beyond for Nov 5th. I will let you know how it goes. As a previous poster indicated, they require payment upfront which I don't really like but I was able to confirm that we would receive our money back if the ship did not dock in Cadiz.

Would you recommend the Cadiz and Beyond tour to Seville?

for the OP, we have used this company and they were great :)

we were very pleased. I like to keep my groups to no more than 8 but that's me

In any case, there is a very small deposit. If something happens that you don't dock, they refund to you. Very good tours and I would gladly use them again. (just so you know and to put you at ease, I have done a number of private tours)

enjoy your cruise.:):)

We took the "Seville on your own" shorex with O, using the bus as transportation there and then did our own thing. We were able to see everything we wanted to including the "old Jewish quarter" which is extraordinarily cool and had lunch there. I think it was about $119-$129 for the tour. We knew all of the things we wanted to see and then roamed the city. Enjoyed the ride there and back as we got to see some of the Spanish countryside and we had a guide on board who told us about historical and modern Spain and Andulucia. Just thought I'd throw this option out here.

We took the "Seville on your own" shorex with O, using the bus as transportation there and then did our own thing. We were able to see everything we wanted to including the "old Jewish quarter" which is extraordinarily cool and had lunch there. I think it was about $119-$129 for the tour. We knew all of the things we wanted to see and then roamed the city. Enjoyed the ride there and back as we got to see some of the Spanish countryside and we had a guide on board who told us about historical and modern Spain and Andulucia. Just thought I'd throw this option out here.

For this money, the OP can easily do the private tour with Spain Day/Top Day Tours. :)

Archived