Live Holy Land Journey 10/10-10/22

3418ahl

I haven't been using the ship's internet so I haven't seen this thread earlier. We are also on board and having a wonderful time. The hospitality, crew and entertainmenmt have all exceeded my expecttations.

I'm wriiting this from a hotel in Israel and looking forward to see Masada and the Old City tomorrow.

Joyce, a simple and quick solution to your Iced Tea delima, is brew a very strong cup of Hot Tea at your table and then order a glass with only ice. Pour the hot tea in the glass and you will have some very fresh brewed Iced tea. Just a thought. Thanks for all your posting, it is Friday noon and I can't wait to get this show on the road. Keep up the good work as our trusty reporter. You will be generously rewarded when Dr. H and I get on board. See ya,

OSD

Okay everyone, we are all dragging after our second day of Israel. Did the western wall, the tunnel tour, which was wonderful, the old Jewish quarter, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, etc. A FULL day.

I have somewhat changed my tune about recommending Guided Tours Israel. It turns out that they don't even know their guides. They just have a list of licensed guides and assign them via internet to clients. The people in another van had some problems, but there are a lot of people using them and I don't know that there is anything better out there.

Tonights dinner:

red wine: Footprint, chardonnay, S. Africa

white wine: Footprint, shiraz, S. Africa

Horseradish crusted salmon

Tagliatellie with clams, mussels and shrimp in Ligurian pesto

Chilean Sea bass

Duck leg confit

Grilled, deboned cornish hen

Beef stroganoff (the woman beside us raved about this)

Pan fried vegetable croquette

Tomorrow starts another difficult two day tour with Ramses tours to the pyramids in Cairo. We are staying at the Cairo Marriott, which is an eighteenth century restored palace and looks lovely. I will not be posting until our next at sea day.

Signing off, hope to see you all soon on Azamara.

I love what you have written so far. I am sailing on the exact same cruise this Nov 3rd and cannot wait. I too have chosen Ramses tours in Egypt and I hope you enjoy their tour and look forward to reading your review. However, I do have a couple of questions for you on the ship:

1- Have you used any of the spa services on board? such as the Thalassotherapy Pool ?

2- How was it on board on the sea days? Was it smooth sailing or did you hit some rough seas?

3- Finally, I am trying to pack as light as I can, have you used the laundry facilities? and were they available or just too busy to use?

Thanks again and I cannot wait to read more of your postings.

Hello All,

First, to try to answer some questions.

Captain Jason is on board and will be next May.

The laundry room is overloaded at times and not busy at all at other times.

No time for the spa on this cruise. We have not used the thallasotherapy pool since the short time we would use it is not worth the charge to us.

As far as I know, if you don't want the wine offered, you must purchase your own. There is a half-price option offered each night also.

We are expecting some rough sea for the first time this evening.

Now, if you are taking this cruise, I suggest you start your physical training this moment! Four tough consecutive days in Israel and Egypt, with 10 hour tours is grueling. I also suggest you take lots of $1 bills. It costs $1 for about 4 people to use the rest room. Everything seems to cost "one dollah"! Everyone on our tour also wished we had brought washcloths from the ship. The temp in Israel was in the nineties and in Egypt the first day it was over 100 degrees. The second day was somewhat better. Also take lots of tissues, since many of the bathrooms don't have any. Try to stick to bathrooms in restaurants or museums.

Our tour of Egypt with Ramses was absolutely wonderfully done. They are on facebook, and personally oversee all their guides and get feedback from clients all the time. We saw all the pyramids, the solar boat museum, and many other things. The Marriott in Cairo was beautiful. We went to a restaurant called Abutarek for the local meal of Koshary. If you look on the internet, you will find this to be about the best restaurant for this wonderful meal composed of macaroni, lentils, fried onions and other things, topped with tomato sauce. The second day we ate at an open air restaurant under a palm tree roof. It was another wonderful multi-course meal. The restaurant is called Pharous and is is near the Saqqara pyramid.

Tonights dinner is:

Red wine Santa Cristina, Sangiovese, Italy

White: Reisling, Macul reserva, Chile

Osso Bucco Ravioli

Sukiyaki chicken sliver stir fry

pan fried grouper

seared swordfish on gnocchi

sliced NY steak on parsnip mash

braised beef shortribs

golden rice cakes with sweet potatoes

By the way, anyone who is reading this and joining the next cruise, I NEED SOME EXTRA ALKA SELTZER!! I am eating FAR too much. Tomorrow is a special brunch, and they are planning another special evening buffet in the port in Sorrento.

For our "quiet" and very much needed sea day, we only attended two enrichment lectures, went to a cocktail party, attended a specialty coffee tastingfor LeVoyage, and took a tour of the gallery. I need a nap.

Signing off, fat and content!

I am so much enjoying your reports though I should not read them on an empty tummy!

Is that Jason Ikiades or something like that - if it is he was 2nd in command to Captain Carl on my last 2 Azamara Quest trips, I will be so so pleased he has got his own command, he is such a delightful person. Now any chance (we really are cheeky asking you to find things out) you can find out who is likely to be Captain when we are going from San Diego to Miami at the end of January?

Ann

Hello All,

The laundry room is overloaded at times and not busy at all at other times.

No time for the spa on this cruise. We have not used the thallasotherapy pool since the short time we would use it is not worth the charge to us.

As far as I know, if you don't want the wine offered, you must purchase your own. There is a half-price option offered each night also.

We are expecting some rough sea for the first time this evening.

Now, if you are taking this cruise, I suggest you start your physical training this moment! Four tough consecutive days in Israel and Egypt, with 10 hour tours is grueling. I also suggest you take lots of $1 bills. It costs $1 for about 4 people to use the rest room. Everything seems to cost "one dollah"! Everyone on our tour also wished we had brought washcloths from the ship. The temp in Israel was in the nineties and in Egypt the first day it was over 100 degrees. The second day was somewhat better. Also take lots of tissues, since many of the bathrooms don't have any. Try to stick to bathrooms in restaurants or museums.

Our tour of Egypt with Ramses was absolutely wonderfully done. They are on facebook, and personally oversee all their guides and get feedback from clients all the time. We saw all the pyramids, the solar boat museum, and many other things. The Marriott in Cairo was beautiful. We went to a restaurant called Abutarek for the local meal of Koshary. If you look on the internet, you will find this to be about the best restaurant for this wonderful meal composed of macaroni, lentils, fried onions and other things, topped with tomato sauce. The second day we ate at an open air restaurant under a palm tree roof. It was another wonderful multi-course meal. The restaurant is called Pharous and is is near the Saqqara pyramid.

Tonights dinner is:

Red wine Santa Cristina, Sangiovese, Italy

White: Reisling, Macul reserva, Chile

Osso Bucco Ravioli

Sukiyaki chicken sliver stir fry

pan fried grouper

seared swordfish on gnocchi

sliced NY steak on parsnip mash

braised beef shortribs

golden rice cakes with sweet potatoes

By the way, anyone who is reading this and joining the next cruise, I NEED SOME EXTRA ALKA SELTZER!! I am eating FAR too much. Tomorrow is a special brunch, and they are planning another special evening buffet in the port in Sorrento.

For our "quiet" and very much needed sea day, we only attended two enrichment lectures, went to a cocktail party, attended a specialty coffee tastingfor LeVoyage, and took a tour of the gallery. I need a nap.

Signing off, fat and content!

OSD to the rescue. Like Dr. H said, you hang in there girl. I have the ALKA SELTZER already packed for you. I will let you have it when I see you and Wayne on Friday. Thanks again. I love your reports. I have done zero training for the tours. I am just going to have to waller around and bring up the rear on the tours. LOL Talk to you later.

OSD

This will be short, since I am not feeling too up to par! About 2 am we encountered heavy winds and very rough seas crossing the Med. The guest lecturer got sick at the lecture this morning, some of the crew was ill, the show has been cancelled for this evening, since some of the entertainers got ill, and when I called to cancel our reservation for Aqualina, the gentleman answering the phone kindly replied, " I understand perfectly madam, I am cancelling my own dinner"! It has now calmed down quite a bit, but the weather makes it impossible to tender in Sorrento tomorrow, so we will dock in Naples.

Now, I have a favor to ask: Somewhere on the Azamara holy land 10/10 roll call, Dr H posted the name of a pizza place in Naples. If someone could leaf through and find it by tomorrow morning (it is now about 8 pm here), I would GREATLY appreciate it. Time on here is precious, although the connection is speedy nearly all the time. Rough seas again, going to lie down. My best to all.

Hi 3418ahl,

First, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It has been wonderful reading your postings and I can not wait for my sailing on Nov 3rd.

I am not sure what posting was placed by Dr H but I did have a website saved in my favorites regarding the so called 10 best Pizzeria's in Naples:

http://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/the-ten-best-pizzerias-in-naples-italy-possibly-the-best-pizza-in-the-world

Now, knowing that it may be hard for you to load the above page link , here is the quick list:

1. Da Michele on Via Sersale, 13 – Tel +390815539204.

2. Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente on Via Tribunali, 120/121Tel. +39081210903

3. Brandi on Salita S.Anna di Palazzo, 1- 2 (angolo via Chiaia)Tel +39081416928

4. Di Matteo (Via dei Tribunali, 94 – tel +39081455262)

5. Pizzeria Trianon da Ciro on Via P. Colletta, 46 Tel: +39.081.5539426

6. Sorbillo on via Tribunali, 32 tel. +39081.446643

7. Da Ettore (Via S. Lucia, 56 – tel +39081 7640498

8. Lombardi onvia Foria, 12 tel +39081456220

9. Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba (Via Port’Alba, 18 – tel +390814421061

10. La Notizia on Via Caravaggio, 53-55 – tel +390817142155

So sorry to hear about the rough seas. I hope you are feeling better.

Hello All,

quote]

Is Captain Jason joining May 6 in Athens? Will Captain Carl be on board from Singapore to Dubai, and Dubai (April 24) to Athens (May 6)?

Thanks.

Hi 3418

I have been and gone through the 22/10 and I think this is the detail you are after

I am having one hell of good time on this board! I can't say it's better than a vacation, but it sure is fun!

Okay, some points and clarifications since my last bit of waxing poetic. Da Michele is a hole in the wall restaurant, known apparently to every Napolitano, and then some. It is in Naples, and unless you are willing to put up with what Naples is (and it ain't a romantic postcard), remember it for your next trip. I've never actually been to Positano, although I've gone past in numerous times. If you've seen the pictures, that's it, only in 3D. Warning about the bus, yes the best side, for me at least, would be on the right. Just keep in mind that the cliffs are vertical, frequently there are no barriers between you/the bus/and the cliff, on coming traffic is unbelievably fast, and every Italian bus driver thinks he is a racing car driver-no exceptions. And lastly, as in all of Naples, traffic lights, road signs, crosswalks are merely suggestions. If you can handle this, by all means, sit on the right.

Hello All,

quote]

Is Captain Jason joining May 6 in Athens? Will Captain Carl be on board from Singapore to Dubai, and Dubai (April 24) to Athens (May 6)?

Thanks.

Captain Carl is usually on the Quest so if he on the Journey he is doing a swap. He had a No 2 called Jason on Quest but I am wondering if he has now moved to Journey as the Master

Captain Carl is usually on the Quest so if he on the Journey he is doing a swap. He had a No 2 called Jason on Quest but I am wondering if he has now moved to Journey as the Master

Oops. Sorry. I thought this was Quest when "Athens" and "May" were mentioned. I keep forgetting that both ships are in the Med.

Thanks for the name of the Pizza place, much appreciated. Went to a CC meeting this morning, and the crew rated last night's bad weather an 8 out of 10, so it was pretty bad. The elevators in the bow were shut down, and someone said the waves were over the aft top level of the ship, athough I think they may have seen "spray", which came over deck 9. We only have a berth in Naples until 5 am tomorrow, so we are hoping to go to Sorrento in the morning. The winds are still over 30 knots, and there are no hydrofoils running out of Naples, so we make take a train to Sorrento today, and hope to do Capri tomorrow, since we have already done Naples. Tonight is another special buffet(Italian) on deck in port, and we hope to eat there, since the last one was super.

We are due to dock at about 12:15 (about 1 1/2 hr after we were originally due to anchor in Sorrento), so perhaps I will have time to post this evening.

Whoops, to answer someone's question, the two captains on the Journey are Captain Jason (I don't know the last name, but he is from UK), and Captain Yohanne (don't know if I spelled that right). Captain Yohanne is new to the company and is supposed to be really funny and everyone seems to love him. He will be on board during January.

Signing off for now,

Joyce

We ended up taking a train from Naples to Sorrento today, at a cost of 3.50 Euro each way pp. We wandered around Sorrento. It was the first overcast and "sprinkly" day we have had in the 10 days of cruising.

There was a lovely Italian buffet this evening with fried shrimp and calamari, leg of pork and Italian specialties.

We are on the next leg of the cruise from Rome to Athens also, but having given you a "taste" of the Azamara Journey, unless some of you specifically request, I will not be posting nightly on that leg.

We really have appreciated your blog - but understand you need a holiday - but the occasional blog might be lovely :)

I think it is the same Jason, he is rugby mad from Southampton if I remember right but has a greek surname

I do hope he is still on Journey in Jan/Feb

Ann

Joyce: Thank you so very much for your blog on your cruise. It has been very helpful. Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Jade13: I saw your posts on the Century cruise debacle. What a mess, and handled very poorly by Celebrity! I'm glad we weren't on that cruise, but had we been on the cruise hopefully we would have taken the bus to Barcelona and then traveled by train in Spain, which I did when I was in Spain for a couple months as a student many years ago (plus several trips since then), and then would have taken our originally booked flight back to US at end of trip. I felt that taking a Holy Land cruise with Azamara was the better choice, and now I am really convinced after reading about the Century cruise. That being said we are still Celebrity fans and will be on a Celebrity cruise in a week and two days from now.

Ann: I think you were on a Celebrity Century cruise with us. Maybe Arctic Circle in July 2008 or Norwegian Fjords in 2007?

Kathy

Yes thats right Kathy - we alternate between Celebrity and Azamara now have become very fond of Azamara. I think we all met up on the helicopter deck when as I recall the captain kept talking to us through a megaphone from the bridge

Jade13: I saw your posts on the Century cruise debacle. What a mess, and handled very poorly by Celebrity! I'm glad we weren't on that cruise, but had we been on the cruise hopefully we would have taken the bus to Barcelona and then traveled by train in Spain, which I did when I was in Spain for a couple months as a student many years ago (plus several trips since then), and then would have taken our originally booked flight back to US at end of trip. I felt that taking a Holy Land cruise with Azamara was the better choice, and now I am really convinced after reading about the Century cruise. That being said we are still Celebrity fans and will be on a Celebrity cruise in a week and two days from now.

Kathy

Wow, which Celebrity cruise. How did you match them up?

Btw, had we been on Century, we too would have stayed in Europe (probably Italy), and taken our originally scheduled flight if changing the flight would be too costly.

3418ahl, thanks sooooo much for your postings. Traveling on the Journey November 3, and we've found your info very helpful. It's certainly helped to stir the excitement about our cruise! Have a great rest of your trip, and will check back to see if by chance you've added more in a few days.

McKin: I'll look for any posts that members of your rollcall make during or after your cruise too. We are on the Holy Land cruise with the Azamara Quest at the end of October next year.

Wow, which Celebrity cruise. How did you match them up?

Jade13: The thread I meant is the Celebrity Century 10/13 cruise canceled in Nice. I just remember your screen name as I have been reading that thread and noticed that you posted on both this thread and that one. Hopefully everyone will come out okay regarding compensation from Celebrity. If we had been on that cruise, my dh might have tried to talk me into going to Paris for part of the time and then fly back to Barcelona for the rest of the time in Spain. Hopefully we would have had enough information about strikes, fuel shortages, & riots in France to avoid staying in France, as it sounds like Celebrity was not communicating that information. Going to Italy and then back to Barcelona would have been fine. Or just going to Spain would have been fine. We talked about it, and both of us said we would not have gone home and incurred the additional flight costs and would have taken the originally scheduled flight home instead.

Ann: It was the Arctic Circle cruise where we were invited to that deck to watch the glacier. That was nice. Remember Arno & Joanne were on the bridge with the captain?

Kathy

We left Naples at 5:00 am this morning and docked in Sorrento at 7:00 am to a LOVELY day. Azamara provided a shuttle from the pier to the village (which we arrived at after the shuttle driver took us to the bus depot, because he didn't know where we were going!). The shuttle was a bit disorganized. Sorrento is beautiful. Don't miss going up from the main town a ways and seeing the wonderful gorge with the mill ruins down below covered with ivy. There is also much better shopping above the main part of town, since it is less touristy.

Tonight we set sail for Rome, where we have a semi-private tour of the vatican museums, bascillica and Sistine Chapel booked.

Archived