First of many questions!

Ruislipspur

Hi

We are going on our first cruise in April 2010, for our honeymoon and have a whole host of things to ask

Firstly, how long is the check-in process usually and is it advisable to get their very early and what is the latest check-in time?

Thanks in advance

Ruislipspur,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I have a suggestion, knowing the excitement of a first cruise, I had hundreds of questions too. I suggest you spend time reading the boards that relate to all your questions. There is a ton of information in the first time cruisers board, in posts already posted. It also answers questions you haven't even thought of yet :)

You can also find loads of info on all your ports of call, under that board.

We are cruising in Feb too, but on HAL, and I've become a Cruise Critic Junkie lol.

Congrats on your put coming wedding. :)

Yep.. I'm on the Dream Feb. 19th 2010. We will get in town the night before. We always get to the port around 11ish. New ship for me so I want to look around while we're still in port. There is a cut off time that you need to be on the ship before it sails. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you had to be on 90 minutes before sail. Please do not cut it close. Besides, the earlier you get on the better IMO.. have lunch.. explore. :D

Boarding will depend on what time the ship hits the port, is cleared for debarkation, and the guests from the previous cruise have already debarked. If all things go "normally", boarding usually starts 11-ish. There are things that can cause delays, like weather, mechanical issues, etc. However, those are not the "norm".

The earlier, the better! After all, boarding day counts as day 1 of the cruise, so you may as well use that ship!

If you aren't checked in 90 mins. prior to sailaway, you may not be allowed to board. If you get there around 11am, you should be good to go!

I'll offer a different opinion...

Our designated check-in time was 2:45. Since we were driving in from a few hours away we arrived at 12:30 after having a light lunch at a nearby restaurant (didn't want to wait in line hungry). There was a pretty good crowd at that time but no line to board once check-in was complete. I happened to go back ashore around 3:00 to get a forgotten item from the car and the terminal was just about empty.

If you arrive closer to the end of the checkin period you may end up waiting in fewer, shorter lines.

I understand about it being the first day of your cruise and all that. Maybe it would make more of a difference on a shorter cruise but if you're going to be on for a week or two the extra couple of hours onboard is small benefit compared to waiting in line for an hour.

We always arrive at the port around 10:30 or 11. Even if we have to wait, it feels like we've started our vacation already, and we're busy checking out the rest of the passengers, and watching all the activity of loading / unloading.

Whenever you arrive, you must be on board no later than 90 minutes before the ship is to set sail..and earlier than that is better.

The actual check-in time -- from the time a crew member asks for your boarding documents to the time you step foot on the ship -- is very brief. They check your documents, and assuming all is in order, you'll be asked how you intend to pay for your cruise (hand them your credit card!), they'll record it, hand it back to you, take your picture, prepare your sign-and-sail card (like an on-board credit card), hand that to you, run your carry-on bag(s) through security, and you're aboard. So what..maybe a half-hour tops?

Have a great cruise!

That first afternoon is a wonderful time to explore the ship, check the dining room to see if you want to change your dining arrangements (you can do that once), have your first meal on board, visit the library if you need a book and unpack before dinner. Some ships will have a movie showing in their theater that afternoon.

When you arrive at the pier, the porter will take your large luggage and it will be delivered to your cabin later. If you get to the pier at 11ish, your luggage will normally be in your cabin before dinner. Recently, we have found you are normally on board quite quickly if you arrive at that time. Think of it much like going through security at the airport. You will stand in line to check in at the desk (similar to checking in and getting your boarding pass at the airport). The line will be longer but there will be more windows serving customers. If you have done all your paperwork online, that takes a minute or two once you are at the front of the line. You will go through security with your carry-on items. Then you will get your photo made to start the photographers collection of shots of you that will be available for you to purchase later and also a shot for ship security. Then you are onto the ship. This whole process will likely take 30 minutes or so. Later that first afternoon, you will go to muster. (Think of it as a fire drill.)

There is something of a "wind down" time while you adjust from normal life to a life of being pampered on the ship. This first afternoon gets the ball rolling. You will want to be on deck for sail away with a lovely fruity drink in hand.

Our favorite days are the days at sea rather than the days in ports and we always look at the first afternoon as a half day at sea that we don't want to miss!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived