Fort Lauderdale return flight

jenmouse

We are sailing on Allure of the Seas next year. The return flight from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit is at 11:15 AM, 3:15 PM, or 5:40 PM. I am disabled and would like to avoid sitting in the airport any more than necessary. Will we be able to make the 11:15? And by make, I mean be to the airport in plenty of time, not be racing to catch the plane. I hate the idea of sitting there until 3:15 if I don't have to.

We have only sailed out of Orlando and Miami, so I am lost when it comes to Fort Lauderdale. Plus, the airline we are frequent fliers with, which also happens to be the least expensive, only has a few nonstop flights a day (connections are not a good idea for me), and we have 11 people. I don't think I am going to play the waiting game for very long, even if it means paying a bit more. I want to get the flights locked in fairly early.

Thank you for any help!!

You'll need to be at the airport at 9:11 for your 2 hour cushion, and you'll need every minute of it. The lines are long for checking luggage and for clearing security.

What time is your ship scheduled to dock? If it's 8:00 AM, then you might cut it close because if you're held up by customs, they won't let folks off the ship. Do you plan on walking your bags off the ship? That's faster than trying to find them at customs. If your ship docks at 6:00 AM, then I feel better about it.

Grab a cab, there should be a great line of them at disembarkation. You're only about 10 minutes from the airport from there.

7:00 AM. Hmmm. Can we walk our bags off with us? We have always put them out the night before (didn't know we could do otherwise). I just hate the idea of us having to sit in the airport for 5 or 6 hours, and then a 3 hour flight home. But it really isn't worth it to rent a car and explore; we don't want the late flight home since a few of the people have to work the next morning.

We have cruised out of FLL 6 times. 5 times we were at the airport and checked in and at the gate way before 10:00. Last time we were a little later getting off the ship than usual and when we got to the airport the lines to check in were very long. Plus, the lines to get through security were even longer. Have never seen anything like it at any other airport. By the time we got into the gate area it was noon. We had a 1:00 flight, but I still was starting to wonder if we would even make it. Personally I think 11:00 is really pushing it if it is a busy day at the airport.

Maybe stay on the ship as long as you can, then take your time getting to the airport.

Jennifer -

Allure, like Oasis, will dock earlier than printed material states. On our cruise, she docked around 1 am. In recent reviews I have been reading, she docked at 4 and 5 am. The sheer volume of luggage that must be handled dictates she needs to dock early. Having said all this, when you embark and disembark at the new RCI terminal in Fort Lauderdale, you will be amazed at the speed and efficiency of the system. It was incredible.

They called for self-disembarkation (walk-off with your own luggage, no help given) at approximately 6:15 am. If you choose to do this, you can get yourselves through Customs and Immigration, out to the curb and into a cab or shuttle bus, and off to the airport. You can do it - question is, do you want to? True, you should be there 2 hours prior, but there may be some congestion already building at the airport.

We did not do express walk off since we had a 4 pm flight. We were at the airport by 10:15 am and it was great.

Just came off the Epic from Miami this past Saturday and flew back from Fort Lauderdale. We had a 11:10 a.m. flight and the lines were long but moved extremely quickly. Arrived at the aiport at 9:30 a.m. I think you would be fine taking that 11:15 a.m. flight. Something else to consider, you can only check in your luggage four hours prior to your flight.

Something else to consider, you can only check in your luggage four hours prior to your flight.

I guess that may vary by airline. I know Southwest (unless things have changed) won't check your luggage earlier than 2 hours before flight time. We see alot of folks sitting in the terminal watching the clock...

I guess that may vary by airline. I know Southwest (unless things have changed) won't check your luggage earlier than 2 hours before flight time. We see alot of folks sitting in the terminal watching the clock...

Four hours is the standard as it is from the Department of Homeland Security rules.

BTW, I flew Southwest on Saturday. There were numerous announcements made at the check-in counter that baggage check was for flights within four hours. Numerous people were grumbling because they had to get out of line and wait until the four-hour mark.

BTW, I flew Southwest on Saturday. There were numerous announcements made at the check-in counter that baggage check was for flights within four hours. Numerous people were grumbling because they had to get out of line and wait until the four-hour mark.

Intereesting... I guess SWA uses their 2 hour rule to control the amount of people checking in to help people with shorter times less crowd to deal with.

I have seen extremely long lines at SWA on a Saturday/Sunday.. we have used Bags-to-Go at the port to avoid those lines...

We have cruised out of FLL 6 times. 5 times we were at the airport and checked in and at the gate way before 10:00. Last time we were a little later getting off the ship than usual and when we got to the airport the lines to check in were very long. Plus, the lines to get through security were even longer. Have never seen anything like it at any other airport. By the time we got into the gate area it was noon. We had a 1:00 flight, but I still was starting to wonder if we would even make it. Personally I think 11:00 is really pushing it if it is a busy day at the airport.

Maybe stay on the ship as long as you can, then take your time getting to the airport.

I agree with Bill. Take the later flight and kick back on the ship as long as you can. You are just getting done with a week of relaxation. I would not like to jump right into the stress of getting home. :D If it is a Sat. or Sun. you can be sure that the airport will be very busy.

Dave

One benefit of taking a later flight is the ability to use Luggage Express/Bags program. For $20 per person, they'll take your bags the night before disembarkation and check them through to your destination for you. No lugging, no schlepping, just a howdy at customs.

Also a later flight allows you to take a cab to Las Olas for brunch. Saunter off the ship at 9, deal with customs, get a cab and go someplace nice. Even better go to Aruba on the beach at Commercial. Enjoy a cocktail, nibble and watch the ocean until around 12:30/1:00 when you head back to the airport for your flight.

Archived