Freedom review 9/5/10 - more info than you can stand!

Tony1865

If you've made it this far, this may have been quite the slog for you. Congratulations!

In closing, here are some random thoughts.

• You've seen plenty of Disney vs. RCCL comparisons. I wish I could come down definitively on one side or the other. But, if price is the primary consideration, then RCCL is the route to go. If you're a dyed-in-the-wool Disney fan, especially if you're sailing with little kiddos, then Disney is worth the premium.
  • We are a family of modest means, thoroughly middle class. A cruise for us is not a thrice-yearly event, or even an annual event. We both work, we both ration vacation time, and are reasonably frugal. We drive older cars, have a 32-year-old 2700 square foot house in an established neighborhood, and have little debt, and want to keep it that way. So, for those of you who are able to cruise frequently in premium staterooms, don't EVER take for granted your blessings.
  • I made it a point to be kind to everyone I met on board. Know what? That kindness was returned in like measure. I always figure that everyone I come in contact with is dealing with some internal struggle. If there is anything I can do to brighten their day, I am honor bound to do just that.
  • The FOS is a wonder. The only place I saw any true wear and tear was on the interior doors of one of the elevators. Looked like someone had pounded on the stainless steel with a mallet - there were dents all in it. Otherwise, everything was impeccably clean and well-kept.
  • I know there are plenty of complaints about the food. But, respectfully, dude. You won't starve. It was uniformly very good, one or two minor missteps perhaps, and once or twice close to excellent.
  • I'd do it all again.

We are fortunate folks, we who have the opportunity to cruise. For just a few days, we are able to leave behind the worry and bustle of the world, to turn our faces into the wind, smell the salt air, and see the endless watery horizon beckon.

We stroll at leisure. We can be as inactive or as sedentary as we please. We are doted upon and spoiled. And in the midst of activity - or the lack of it - it doesn't hurt to pause once and again and count our blessings.

Thank you for joining me on our journey. I trust that in some small way you've been enlightened, entertained, and encouraged. We are all voyagers in life. Our paths diverge from time to time, but we are all part of one epic universal journey. I'm glad we could be together, if only for a little while.

God bless you all.

Sunset and evening star,

And one clear call for me!

And may there be no moaning of the bar,

When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,

Too full for sound and foam,

When that which drew from out the boundless deep

Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,

And after that the dark!

And may there be no sadness of farewell,

When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place

The flood may bear me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face to face

When I have crossed the bar.

:)Thank you so much for your amazing review!!!! You are an awesome person with a beautiful heart and HILARIOUS! You and your wife have a great relationship as it shows in your writing and pictures! Ready for you to go on another so we can read another great review!!! Take Care! :D

Debi

Before this sinks away into oblivion, I've got one more thought (unless there are some questions and such that need replies):

There is magic all around you. You are blessed. Your presence on these boards show that you want to embrace life and enjoy it to the fullest. If you've never cruised ... one day, perhaps. If you are a veteran ... remember your first time. Above all, share your joy.

Thanks again!

Tony - out.

Here are our thoughts, voyagers' thoughts,

Here not the land, firm land, alone appears, may then by them be said,

The sky o'erarches here, we feel the undulating deck beneath our feet,

We feel the long pulsation, ebb and flow of endless motion,

The tones of unseen mystery, the vague and vast suggestions of the briny world, the liquid-flowing syllables,

The perfume, the faint creaking of the cordage, the melancholy rhythm,

The boundless vista and the horizon far and dim are all here,

And this is ocean's poem.

-- Walt Whitman

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I have copied and pasted every last word and picture of it and sent it to my Mom like chapters in a book as you wrote them. She (along with 18 other newbies) will be cruising with us on Freedom in May and I know your review went a long way in getting her nervousness turned into excitement. Thank you and God Bless your family as well.

Melissa

P.S. She said if she wasn't already married to my Dad, she'd want to marry you!

• 1 month later...

Tony,

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to reading this review, but I have to tell you, I wanted to stand up and clap when I was finished reading.

I refrained, since due to an ice storm, there's only one other person in my office today, so they would be able to report exactly who it was that was going insane. We have excellent mental health coverage, but I'd rather use it voluntarily.

You have a gift, sir. Somebody should be paying you to cruise and write about it.

My DH and I are first time cruisers taking the FOS later this year on the same itinerary. Your rundown actually made me even more excited (and impatient) for our trip. I didn't think that was possible.

Thank you for your wit, your eloquence, and taking the time to share your experience with us.

Tony,

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to reading this review, but I have to tell you, I wanted to stand up and clap when I was finished reading.

I refrained, since due to an ice storm, there's only one other person in my office today, so they would be able to report exactly who it was that was going insane. We have excellent mental health coverage, but I'd rather use it voluntarily.

You have a gift, sir. Somebody should be paying you to cruise and write about it.

My DH and I are first time cruisers taking the FOS later this year on the same itinerary. Your rundown actually made me even more excited (and impatient) for our trip. I didn't think that was possible.

Thank you for your wit, your eloquence, and taking the time to share your experience with us.

Thanks, and if you have any inside connections with RCCL, I'm open to working for them at no charge ... just an annual cruise would be all I'd ask for.

This is such a great review. Thanks for posting! We are looking at this cruise (although the eastern version). I appreciate your humorous words and amazing pictures. I pray that RCCL offers you that 1 cruise a year to write about their fine ships. Thank you also for your view on life...sometimes we all need to step back and remember where we came from, and how we should think and behave around others.

God Bless!:D

loving your review

at the moment, i'm booked in an O/V on deck 9 but, i love the idea of the Promenade and am tempted to change.

thanks again- great read:)

But the balcony views coming into port are so worth it.

You mentioned you were on Deck 7. What was your cabin. A balcony or inside?

thanks..Linda

Linda, if this is for me, it was an inside promenade cabin. Were price no object, of course we'd spring for a balcony. But the promenade cabin was no small deal. We liked it.

Loved your review. I hope we get to sit at your table someday on a cruise. Good people who obviously enjoy themselves and those around them can't be beat.

We booked the FOS for 10/23/11 at a travel fair this last weekend between snowstorms. Can't wait to be someplace warm again. Your photos, especially of Grand Cayman, sure did the trick till then. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

Iguanas were EVERYWHERE. I took some photos of them, but when they started asking for tips, I put my camera away.

LMAO. LOL. Just found your review today and I find it very entertaining and I find myself grinning like a fool. I'm happy no one has caught me with that goofy grin on my face, but then again, I have a few more pages to read. Thanks for a very entertaining review, makes my september cruise seem a little closer.

Cindy

Amazing review - we are considering the same ship and itinerary...now I am more anxious than ever to get it booked! I've bookmarked the stingray website, that will be helpful when planning our excursions. DH & I just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary last year with a cruise on Monarch...we also have 2 grown children - and 4 grandchildren that we hope to take on a Disney cruise some day! But in the meantime we are looking forward to another "just the 2 of us" cruise. :D

Love your down-to-earth writing style and all the photos, you guys really seem like a fun-loving, great couple...Thanks again!

What a great review to read on a day we're expecting upwards of 18" of snow. Just read the entire thing, start to finish this morning. Perfect for a snow day! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

I'm so glad we ended up choosing this ship, there were two other serious contenders for our precious vacation time this fall.

Thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...
Well, our daughter went and got herself engaged, and they're considering the Freedom for their honeymoon, an eastern itenerary. Maybe I'm a salesman after all.

Congratulations on your daughters engagement. We are having my daughters bachelorette party on the Freedom the week of Aug. 28 2011. I've recommended your review to my rollcall. You're famous now!

Wished your itinerary matched mine so I could ask some questions. But I've never had a cruise I didn't enjoy at least someway. Can't wait to see the freedom with her new "Oasis" pkg. after dry dock. Can't tell which I'm more excited about, the cupcake shop or the large screen on deck. Joy

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted you to know that folks are still reading and thoroughly enjoying your witty, fun, and touching review! As an excited first time cruiser (in dec. DH and I celebrate 25 yrs!), I have read many reviews of the FOS to prepare... Yours is the best by far!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and photos, and to remind us all that no matter what little grievances we have, we are all truly blessed to even have such an opportunity!

Archived