St, Thomas excursion w/ship or private co.

On Oasis 11/6 and wondering what to do in St. Thomas in regards to booking. Would like to do a combo of sightseeing, beach and shopping. All the searching here leads me to private taxies or private tours.

Was wondering if anyone has done a tour through the ship. We are looking at a 4 hour 45 min that includes all 3 I mentioned for $39pp. They also have a St. John trip 6 1/2 hours for around the same price. Biggest worry is something happening, traffic, taxi or ferry breaks down, and not getting back on time. When booking with the ship I'm pretty sure they don't leave without you.

Doing the ATV excursion with a private company in St Maarten, starts at 9am so time is not an issue here. Also $30 cheaper.

Hey Joe, just noticed you are from Medford, we are neighbors, we are from E. Patchogue. Small world. If this is your first time in St. Thomas, I would stick with the sightseeing, beach and shopping. We usually always book through the ship. Don't have to worry about getting back on time, you usually meet someone from the ship that you have already seen. It works for us. madmarti:D

check out Papa Bear Tours, aka Air Force One. just google it you will find it. He does all kinds of great tours. We toured with him last year. He has many tours to pick from depending on what you want to see. These tours will not take the chance of getting you back late. They are very reliable.

We did the 6 1/2 hour St. John Walking Tour. It was truly disappointing. The walking tour was nothing more than...

"there's a church."

"there's the library."

There is very little to see in "downtown" St. John, only two small shopping areas. Those on our tour were sitting around the dock area hoping we could return to the ship early.

I would not recommend this tour.

If it is your first time on St Thomas, I would recommend a ship tour of your choice so that you can get a feel of the island, and what you would feel comfortable with, should you ever be there again. I hope this helps.

Look under the Ports of Call board on the front page, under Caribbean, then St. Thomas. There are three big tour companies: Papa Bears, Sunny Liston, and ... somebody else. They all offer around $30 tours for shopping, sightseeing, and beach. They're expert at getting you back to the ship in time.

We used Sunny Listen in February of this year and loved the great music he plays on his open air buses. If you'd like something quieter, go with Papa Bears.

If it is your first time on St Thomas, I would recommend a ship tour of your choice so that you can get a feel of the island, and what you would feel comfortable with, should you ever be there again. I hope this helps.

I agree for a first timer to the island I would book a ships tour, you can always book privately the next time around. Booking privately is not always cheaper.

Thanks all, and hi madmarti. I'm actually a stones throw from E. Pat and Bellport way down in the corner of Medford.

Will look into the private companies. I was there, but over 10 years ago and this time we have about 10 in our group. I will not worry much about getting back, they will but reading what you all have to say is reassuring.

There are three big tour companies: Papa Bears, Sunny Liston, and ... somebody else.

The "somebody else" referred to above would be Godfrey. We went with him about five years ago and he was okay...but a little bland. In February we're going with Air Force One...aka Papa Bear.

Archived