I have hidden treasure on the Carnival Dream. Read more to find it!

ncboys

It would be cool to have some sort of treasure hunt. The problem with it being a geocache is that the ship is moving so you wouldn't be able to use GPS coordinates.

Ahhh you make a good point.. dammit.. it would be awesome if we could do something like geocaching with the carnival ships.. instead of coordinates you could give descriptions of the locations.. but in order to pull it off you would have to have permission or the staff would keep removing the hidden goodies..

I actually think maybe a picture of each person holding the book to have found it from a digital camera (they have the print machines on the ship) would also be a great idea. I am excited. There is one sailing that could possibly snatch this before me. PLEASE if you are on the next sailing, put it back, as I will be looking for it first thing when I set sail Oct 23rd (next week).

Very cool idea!

I read this book and it is very interesting.

Original idea to hide it and capture fellow passengers throughout the year. Certainly hope it works out.

I hope it's still there when we are on in November. Would it be possible for the person who finds it next week to leave a note for it not to be removed. That way if the room steward or another crew member finds it, they'll know to put it back (hopefully??)

It's hidden pretty deep in the light tray. I'm sure it gets cleaned daily, but i doubt they clean the inside of it. You've got to stick your hand in there pretty far to find it. Hopefully it will get overlooked by the cleaning staff. :)

At worse look in the Library since The Dream has so few books, if someone cant find it where you put it :D

Mississauga,

I am actually considering the possibility of moving it to another location (if the original poster has no problem with that.) I just would hate for a good thing to get going and then it get just thrown away of put in the LOST AND FOUND after a steward found it while cleaning.

Anyone have some ideas where it could be easily retreivable, yet hidden enough to not be found by a passerby or a steward? Library is a great idea but then again the chances are still there for someone not in our "secret group" (Ha!) finding it and then just placing it back ina different spot unknowingly...or not at all for that matter!

I do like the idea of where its at now but I am sure that spot is cleaned regularly, although not everyday. Is the Library the best idea? Maybe a note inside explaining the intent of the book and all so if someone picks it up they understand what it is for?

People did something like this a few years back. They were put on the shelf in the libraries. It started with one and then took on a bit of a life of it's own because of all the posts here. I read and wrote in the one on Victory. Unfortunately some people wrote nasty things in them and Carnival eventually got rid of them. It was fun while it lasted.

this sounds like fun. I love this idea!

I don't think the book should be moved....

Maybe after speaking with the steward, he might be willing to leave it.

A small note stuck on the outside referencing what you are doing, and a web address sending someone to CC if they found it. And of course, instructions to enjoy the book while onthe cruise but to please return it to it's hiding spot.

I think the library is a bad idea as someone may borrow and "forget" to return.

Reminds me of the Cruise Critic Log Books we signed, kept in the library.

And then of course, someone would steal it.

You're right!!! We had a log in the library of the CONQUEST, and it stayed there for almost seven months in 2008... Many signed it and returned it. But then -- POOF!!! it was stolen...

People did something like this a few years back. They were put on the shelf in the libraries. It started with one and then took on a bit of a life of it's own because of all the posts here. I read and wrote in the one on Victory. Unfortunately some people wrote nasty things in them and Carnival eventually got rid of them. It was fun while it lasted.

The one I wrote in had only fun and sweet things about CARNIVAL... it was just a mean spirited person who took it!! I have photos of the log pages and what folks wrote... and between the cruise I took the photos and the next one, it disappeared!!

This is a GREAT idea and I pray it works for a long time!!

I always left notes, like notes in a bottle, in weird places on the ship or in my cabin... just to see if anyone finds them. I've gotten some emails from folks!!! Now that's fun too!!!

ncboys: I've read that book a couple of times. Yes, there are some interesting stories in there and some neat history of the cruise line industry. I think, however, that I have to agree with the others in saying that as much as they clean on cruise ships, I don't think your cool plan has a chance. But, it'll be fun to check back here and find out!

I found it on Amazon and if no one says I found it I'm thinking about getting another copy and giving it a another try when on the Dream on Halloween.I also have a copy of Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes That I got for the cruise and started reading just to see what it was like and couldn't put it down cool book to me and I might just hide it somewhere I don't think it will be taken cleaning crews.

IFlyWithDi,

I will be getting this book first thing Saturday, assuming it is still there. Problem is that if I move it to a safer location, such as the library there will be noway of telling you since I will be getting off as you get on. WAIT! Unless I leave a note in its original location for you, ahhh....now we got some brain cells working! Check in the original location when you board Oct 31st. I promise, if I find it this Sat, i will leave a note for you there as to its exact and precise location along with a decoder ring. : )

I wonder if you could get permission to leave a cache on a ship?? that would be awesome.. anyone know?

That would fall under locationless caches an they was done away with a few years ago.

I did log a virtual cache in mexico last month though.

IFlyWithDi,

I will be getting this book first thing Saturday, assuming it is still there. Problem is that if I move it to a safer location, such as the library there will be noway of telling you since I will be getting off as you get on. WAIT! Unless I leave a note in its original location for you, ahhh....now we got some brain cells working! Check in the original location when you board Oct 31st. I promise, if I find it this Sat, i will leave a note for you there as to its exact and precise location along with a decoder ring. : )

I am totally befuddled as to why you would want to remove the book and place it elsewhere. The person who started this found the best hiding place they could and it should remain where they intended. If this was your idea from the onset I'd say move it, but it wasn't, so you should participate and play by the rules set out. There aren't too many places to hide anything on a ship that doesn't get cleaned and the op seems to think this one is relatively secure, so please read the book, return it and enjoy your cruise. But you're probably already gone and won't read this or even care and the book is probably off in some place that isn't nearly as secure. Oh well...

Such a bad little attitude...like a child!

If you noticed, I mentioned before I would only move it if it the original poster didn't mind. Where it is (I think) is a place that is cleaned regulate, yet not everyday. If a book is found in a light fixture/room sign it will be removed, if found in library, it won't be.

You really need to chill out. It's ok.

IFlyWithDi,

Cool thanks Ill be at cabin 2437 shortly after Boarding. If anyone on my cruise looks for it and its not there you can call Cabin #6265 and I'll tell you if I found it and if i did I'll let you have it when i finish with it. I ordered a copy today off amazon but not sure if it will make it here before my cruise. And if anyone is wants to get a copy it was only $5.71 shipping and all from amazon but when you search for it a copy for $20 and some change comes up but where it tells about that book there is a link for new or used books click one of them and you can get it cheaper than $20

Wow! You guys have been busy posting on this topic! I didnt think that it would get this much attention when I first posted it last week! :)

I just had a realization.... If the light bulb burns out(next to the book), and they replace it(the bulb), then the hiding place is exposed, thereby ending our game. So, with that in mind, I encourage the next person who finds it to find a better spot. Please think VERY carefully about where that you will be relocating it. It needs to be publicly accessible, but a in a place that will never be cleaned. Heh! That rules out a lot of places since the boat is spotless!!!

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE be sure to log back on to this board and let everyone know where the new hiding place is.

Worst case scenario...... go ahead and move it to the library. I guess thats not quite as fun, but it might ensure the books survival for a while to come. I'll let that be your call. In the end, the library might just be the safest place.

Also, will the next person who finds it, please put a BIG label on the cover with a little info; such as "this book is part of a treasure hunt. Please do not remove this book from it's present location(or put it back after you've finished reading it)" ..... doesnt have to be word for word....just something like that. Hopefully, this will keep it around if it gets accidentally discovered by someone who isint aware of the game(i.e. steward, passer by, etc.)

I noticed some people asking if it had been found yet. I posted this message last week. Therefore, the first people who might have found the book would be on the ship right now, and wouldnt be able to tell us if it has been found yet. When they get back this Saturday, hopefully someone will post that they found it.

Lastly, if this idea does take off and if this book makes lots of new friends, I hope that everyone will sign it, highlight it, write comments in the margins, etc. I'm hoping to find a well used book when i'm on the Dream again next year. Heh!

Thanks for all the interest. This should be a fun game.

Thank you ncboys...hopefully PickleBongo will not be so "befuddled" at the reason I even considered relocating it. Make sense now Bongo? I didn't even think about the light bulb surely needing to be replaced!

I hope it is there Saturday. I will repost on here where I leave it and put a label on the front explaining it's intent.

Archived