Looking for info on free, cheap or inexpensive things to do in ports

Mommabear5

I am leaning towards taking the cruise from NY to the Bahamas & Grand Turk or the eastern caribbean on the Miracle.

This trip is going to cost me a pretty penny and the idea of that and then spending even more at the ports is not thrilling me.

We did a cruise back in 03 and it was just Hubby and I, this time we are taken the kids, 2-21 year olds, 19,18,16, & 13.

We have always done disney where everything is paid before we go and the kids bring their own spending money around $100 each for anything they may want to get themselves, t-shirts,mugs,key chains,ect.

I was reading about flow rider in Marigetta Ville and also wondering what the day there runs? If anyone has more information on that I would love to hear it.

Now with the other ports, either the 2 Bahama ports or St Thomas and SanJuan, which itiniary would you recommend for my family?

We like to do things together, I will more then likely not be allowing them to go off on their own anywhere. I am too nervous that they wouldn't make it back to the ship on time without me there to remind them they have to leave.lol

The days at sea are the same, 4 days. This concerns me as far as them being bored so any fun suggestions as to what your family does on those days would be very much appreciated.

My 19 & 18 are asking if they can drink at any of the ports??? I know they can't on the ship but what about the Bahamas , San Juan or St Thomas & Grand Turks?

I am not talking getting them wasted, I am referring to a drink!!!meaning one, only because it's vacation in the islands...

I am also trying to figure out cabin slections. I naturally would want to not spend a small fortune being there are so many of us as it is so what is the space differnce as far as inerior to ocean view??? Should I get at least one balcony. There will be 4 of us in each cabin. I am also wondering how the feel is on this ship. While we don't want to be sleeping by 8pm I also don't want to be surrounded by frat party like atmosphere either.

I know I am asking abot but I have so many questions. Thanks for any help provided.

:p

I agree with just walking around the ports. It's not necessary to do big excursions. We took the $3 water taxi to the Atlantis in Nassau and walked around the free parts. My kids loved it.

If you know what ports you are going to, google for walking tours. You'd be surprised what's out there for free. Or just a bus ride to the local free beach.

As far as cabins, you could book adjoining ocean views so you have two rooms and two bathrooms to spread out in. You can also book you and hubby in a balcony and the kids across the hall in an inside. You would have to book an adult in each cabin, but it's not a big deal to move around once you're on board.

I am leaning towards taking the cruise from NY to the Bahamas & Grand Turk or the eastern caribbean on the Miracle.

This trip is going to cost me a pretty penny and the idea of that and then spending even more at the ports is not thrilling me.

We did a cruise back in 03 and it was just Hubby and I, this time we are taken the kids, 2-21 year olds, 19,18,16, & 13.

We have always done disney where everything is paid before we go and the kids bring their own spending money around $100 each for anything they may want to get themselves, t-shirts,mugs,key chains,ect.

I was reading about flow rider in Marigetta Ville and also wondering what the day there runs? If anyone has more information on that I would love to hear it.

Now with the other ports, either the 2 Bahama ports or St Thomas and SanJuan, which itiniary would you recommend for my family?

We like to do things together, I will more then likely not be allowing them to go off on their own anywhere. I am too nervous that they wouldn't make it back to the ship on time without me there to remind them they have to leave.lol

The days at sea are the same, 4 days. This concerns me as far as them being bored so any fun suggestions as to what your family does on those days would be very much appreciated.

My 19 & 18 are asking if they can drink at any of the ports??? I know they can't on the ship but what about the Bahamas , San Juan or St Thomas & Grand Turks?

I am not talking getting them wasted, I am referring to a drink!!!meaning one, only because it's vacation in the islands...

I am also trying to figure out cabin slections. I naturally would want to not spend a small fortune being there are so many of us as it is so what is the space differnce as far as inerior to ocean view??? Should I get at least one balcony. There will be 4 of us in each cabin. I am also wondering how the feel is on this ship. While we don't want to be sleeping by 8pm I also don't want to be surrounded by frat party like atmosphere either.

I know I am asking abot but I have so many questions. Thanks for any help provided.

:p

I'll offer some suggestions, though I cannot answer each and every question because I simply don't know.

If it were me and the dollars were nearly the same, I would go Eastern over Bahamas. I haven't been to the Bahamas, but quite honestly haven't met people who love the Bahamas. You hear people here on CC raving about Half Moon Cay (for example); you just don't see that for the Bahamas. Check that out yourself... look at the ports of call boards to see what others who've been there, done that feel about the variety of ports that you could visit between the 2 itinieraries.

As far as cabin selection, a lot of people get adjoining cabins or cabins across the hall from one another. We have done it with our daughters. They get a cabin and we get an adjoining one.

I can't say whether you should get a balcony or not. I love having one, but our guest list is significantly smaller than yours and they are more money--that would be up to you as to whether you feel you could afford it. If there are 4 ppl per cabin and only do one balcony, four ppl wouldn't be getting a balcony. Is this a big deal?

Personally, I don't think I could use an inside cabin but we do like Ocean Views about as well as balconies. The rooms are virtually the same size--OV to Inside. (You can go on Carnival's site and the deck plans will tell you the size of the rooms.)

Also, another thing to think about is since you will have 4 ppl in each room, there are rooms specifically for 4 ppl. They are configured differently, but they aren't necessarily bigger.

As far as excursions go, it depends on what your family likes to do. I read on here all the time that people often get a cab and go to town and just explore. You don't have to do the big fancy dolphin encounters and such like to have an incredible time.

I hope a little of this helps somewhat. I know how fun it is to plan for a cruise as well as try to figure it all out.

As far as cabins, you could book adjoining ocean views so you have two rooms and two bathrooms to spread out in. You can also book you and hubby in a balcony and the kids across the hall in an inside. You would have to book an adult in each cabin, but it's not a big deal to move around once you're on board.

On our recent trip aboard Carnival Dream, our 23-y/o daughter was the adult for our daughters' cabin. Since there are 2-21 y/o children going along, one of the cabins could be under their name... just something to think about.

Here's a link to legal drinking ages around the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age Looks like 18 except in US and US Virgin Islands. Puerto Rico is 18 also.

I'd check out the ports of call section to see about low cost things. Also google each port. There's usually an "official" site with links to activities in each port.

St Thomas was one of our cheaper ports.

We used a private vendor. (godfreytours which you can see many reviews of different places on the port of calls boards)

For our 25.00 pp we got to shop for 3 hours. (for us that meant window shopping) then we went on a 2 hour island tour and got to see it all. then we went to the beach where we spent 2 hours in the sun.

--

Have you considered Bayonne or Baltimore cruise port? More options for a little cheaper price.

If getting two cabins-- one balcony and one inside cabin across the hall from it. You want to be mindful of what is above and below you

Last spring on Liberty I "negotiated" van tours for my group

$15 in Cozumel

$10 in Grand Cayman (larger/shared bus)

and $15 in Jamaica

they were all good, Coz was the best....we went all over the island

to the Mayan town , to the "wild" side to Rasta's Bar and were dropped off at Paradise Beach

GC...nice island tour, rum cake place and "Hell" and the Dolphin place

Jamaica was fun, Fern Gully, craft places on the way there....a funny little town with a bar with a dirt floor and some "crafts" and free rum punch,

we be jammin and dancing and reggae music ...parrots in cages...good times

you can also >> walk around....look for "coupons" and coupon magazines

In Nassau $10 per person for a nice horse carriage ride, you can take a cab to Atlantis for $4, or water taxi $3 and walk around and see the "free" part of the aquarium

for my upcoming Destiny trip I found $29 parasail in Key West and a 5 1/2 hr all inclusive at a new beach club, all food and drinks, pool etc for $37 a person

I never take ship tours (maybe I would in Europe or south america or asia LOL)...but not in the islands

check the port boards

The Frommer's guidebooks have very nice walking tours. We've done them in both San Juan and Nassau and really enjoyed both ports. We love walking and learning something about the history of the city. If you check out the book from the library, it's a free excursion!

In Grand Turk - you can just walk off the ship to the beach with loungers and margaritaville and enjoy their pool (free) - there is a charge for the flow rider however. Also you don't have to purchase anything on shore since you can always head back to the ship for food/drinks if you want to.

St. Thomas - cheap tours offered by Sunny Liston (shopping, tour and drop off at a beach) for about $30 pp.

Nassau can be cheap - there is a beach within walking distance I believe (junkanoo/lighthouse beach) or just a walk thru town and some 'haggling' at the straw market for cheap knockoffs might be fun! :D You can also take the 'jitney' (local bus) for a few bucks each to Cable beach and hang out there for a while.

Freeport - also pretty cheap - just a ride to Lucaya - some nice shopping then the beach (near the westin)....you may have to pay for loungers if you want those!

San Juan - I believe there is a free 'trolley' thru town - great forts to visit (there will be an entrance fee) or a walk around Old San Juan - otherwise I would recommend Countryside tours - when we visited w/our 3 kids we had Tony as our private driver (in his new fancy Lincoln SUV) - visited the fort, toured San Juan, saw the old prison, visited the Bacardi rum factory (yes free samples!)...all for $30 pp...

As suggested I would visit the port of call boards for the specific ports to get more detailed and recent information.

As for cabins - definitely you need at least 2 (if not more?) - if you can afford a balcony cabin would be great as the balcony is almost an 'extra room' - so when some are getting ready others can just enjoy the view - or have a snack outside or read.... Try for adjoining cabins if possible (we were on the miracle with the 3 kids and had 2 adjoining balcony cabins - it was great - we had the divider opened making for one longer balcony and kept the 'balcony' doors open when we were there so we could 'visit' thru the back door whenever we needed to!).

Archived