South Beach help please?

w8ing2cruz

We're renting a vehicle after our cruise in Miami. We fly out of FLL at 4 PM that day. We'd like to find a nice easy place to park and have lunch and do a little exploring in South Beach before heading to FLL. Since our flight leaves at 4 I'm thinking we should be there by 2 and I'm giving us an hour to get from SB to FLL so that doesn't leave us too much time. Any suggestions?

There are a number of parking garages around South Beach:

6th St between Washington & Colllins Ave: access to 'south of 5th', Ocean Drive, Collins Ave, Washington Ave.

13th St between Washington Ave & Ocean Drive: access to Ocean Drive, Collins Ave, Washington Ave.

Jefferson Ave & Lincoln Road: access to Lincoln Road and Espanola Way

Just read some good reviews on Van Dykes - it was founded by Dick Van Dyke ;). Sounds like this might work. Researching a little further - what about someplace like Deco Blue at the Marriott? It looks like it is right on the water. Any ideas about this or something similar that's right on the water? I'm thinking that parking might be a little easier with a restaurant within a resort/hotel too? Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

Just read some good reviews on Van Dykes - it was founded by Dick Van Dyke ;). Sounds like this might work. Researching a little further - what about someplace like Deco Blue at the Marriott? It looks like it is right on the water. Any ideas about this or something similar that's right on the water? I'm thinking that parking might be a little easier with a restaurant within a resort/hotel too? Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

The hotels themselves are set so far back from the beach that you will not be able to see any water unless you are on the third or fourth floor. I'd skip Deco Blue and had to Van Dyke Cafe. Right on Lincoln Road Mall and you'll have great people watching and they have excellent food.

Parking is extremely expensive at hotels because it is valet only. Parking at the Marriott, they have zero parking of their own, will run you about $40 for a couple of hours.

Park at a garage near Lincoln Road Mall and walk over to Van Dyke Cafe.

Don't even think about parking on a side street because it is by permit only. They will have your car towed before you can get out of it. Metered parking just went up so if you park at a meter, make sure you use enough money. If the meter runs out, a meter maid will ticket you before you can reload the machine. Because they ticket rentals all the time, your credit card WILL get charged for the ticket and you'll get a heftier fine for the paperwork.

Skip the rental altogether. Turn it in at MIA, check your bags and take the Airport Flyer from MIA directly to Miami Beach, there's a stop at Collins and Lincoln Rd.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

It's $2.35 each way. .

Ruth

That is a great idea because they can drag their luggage with them to Van Dyke. Lots of people do this. If they don't want to take the bus back, they can grab a cab.

Actually, I'm all turned around on the travel.

From port to MIA to pick up car. Then to Miami Beach, then to FLL.

I still say, if you can, check your bags with Luggage Express/BAGS, just so much less to fool with.

You can still do the Airport Flyer. Just take it back to MIA, pick up your car and go!

Archived