Fitness Center & Aqua Spa Treatments

Kruz Guys

For those who have used the fitness center and/or had an aqua spa treatment on the Summit , what was your impression of (1) the facilities, (2) the staff, (3) the treatments, (4) the appointment process, (5) other???? Are there both female and male therapists available?

Any recommendations or reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks

The fitness center is very good - just as all of the centers on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships. Lots of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, a few climbers, exercise machines plus hand weights, mats, balls, etc. There are televisions on the cardio machines. It tends to be busy in the morning, and much quieter later in the day or on port days.

I had my hair and nails done on Summit recently, and a massage a couple of years ago. The service was fine --- regular Steiner (or Steiner style) spa service. Perfectly acceptable, a bit high priced. They started to sell me additional products but it only took one good, "no thanks" and they didn't press it. Don't recall seeing male massage therapists, but then it could be that I didn't notice.

I had a male massage therapist on my last Celebrity cruise (Constellation 2007. (He wasn't very good.) But I think I read somewhere (probably on these boards) that Celebrity wasn't using male massage therapists anymore. The best massages I've ever had have been by a male massage therapist, but he was highly trained. The best massage I've ever had on a cruise ship was by a female massage therapist on the Millie in 2005. It was a hot stone massage, but she also included a lot of deep tissue massage -- heavenly!

For those who have used the fitness center and/or had an aqua spa treatment on the Summit , what was your impression of (1) the facilities, (2) the staff, (3) the treatments, (4) the appointment process, (5) other???? Are there both female and male therapists available?

My wife and I both had spa treatments on the Solstice on 10/3. We booked on embarkation day b/c they offered 15 more mins for Sunday. I had the Lime/Salt treatment followed by a full body massage. It was all very awesome. I only saw female therapists there. But, they have you wear this little mesh underwear thingy. Never had that before in all my (legit) massages. At the end of the L/S treatment she had me shower while she was still in the room. The glass is semi-opaque, so I left my mesh underwear thing on. It was difficult to keep it up, but I left it on b/c I thought she wanted me to. She could see my dilemma I guess, so she told me that I could take it off. Ok...if she can stand an opaque nude middle age man, ok. When I came out of the shower, I came out in a towel of course, and she told me to drop the towel just before she held up the sheet over her head. I think that I timed it correctly (w/o her seeing frontal nudity), but I'm not sure. Anyway, the awesome massage ensued with me lying on my front. When it came time for her to massage my lower back she kept going down further and further until my entire bottom was exposed (I could feel the cool AC air). I was a bit surprised by that also, but if she isn't bothered by a hirsute bottom, I guess I shouldn't have been. When she had me flip she covered me properly throughout the rest of the session...thankfully.

The massage was a bit expensive ($195 plus 15% tip) for 75 mins (would have been only 60 mins total thereafter). Most of the staff as far as I could tell were Filipinas.

They tried to push various Elemis products, but we declined. They let us relax in the silent lounge (I forget the correct name) afterward. Very nice and very relaxing indeed.

Was it worth it? Hmmmmm, yeah, I guess, but it was a little expensive. My masseusse charges $120 for 90 mins massage (plus tip).

My only complaint is that some people abuse the 30 minute time limit on treadmills etc. I call them on it and then they get mad at me, but c'est le guerre or something like that. I always do 30 minutes at a time and then come back. If nobody is waiting at all, I might keep going but I always watch for new users to come in and I reliinquish the machine.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

My wife and I both had spa treatments on the Solstice on 10/3. We booked on embarkation day b/c they offered 15 more mins for Sunday. I had the Lime/Salt treatment followed by a full body massage. It was all very awesome. I only saw female therapists there. But, they have you wear this little mesh underwear thingy. Never had that before in all my (legit) massages. At the end of the L/S treatment she had me shower while she was still in the room. The glass is semi-opaque, so I left my mesh underwear thing on. It was difficult to keep it up, but I left it on b/c I thought she wanted me to. She could see my dilemma I guess, so she told me that I could take it off. Ok...if she can stand an opaque nude middle age man, ok. When I came out of the shower, I came out in a towel of course, and she told me to drop the towel just before she held up the sheet over her head. I think that I timed it correctly (w/o her seeing frontal nudity), but I'm not sure. Anyway, the awesome massage ensued with me lying on my front. When it came time for her to massage my lower back she kept going down further and further until my entire bottom was exposed (I could feel the cool AC air). I was a bit surprised by that also, but if she isn't bothered by a hirsute bottom, I guess I shouldn't have been. When she had me flip she covered me properly throughout the rest of the session...thankfully.

The massage was a bit expensive ($195 plus 15% tip) for 75 mins (would have been only 60 mins total thereafter). Most of the staff as far as I could tell were Filipinas.

They tried to push various Elemis products, but we declined. They let us relax in the silent lounge (I forget the correct name) afterward. Very nice and very relaxing indeed.

Was it worth it? Hmmmmm, yeah, I guess, but it was a little expensive. My masseusse charges $120 for 90 mins massage (plus tip).

Thanks for your review but I think we all could have done without the graphic details.

Thanks for your review but I think we all could have done without the graphic details.

I agree. I felt strangely uncomfortable reading the very personal details in this post and the psychologist in me was left wondering about the reasons behind it.

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. :)

Well truthfully although quite detailed, it was helpful info for me! Several aspects described would not have been acceptable to me. If the procedures described in this post are standard, I know my husband would not want me to book this for him (nor would I want to)!

My only complaint is that some people abuse the 30 minute time limit on treadmills etc. I call them on it and then they get mad at me, but c'est le guerre or something like that. I always do 30 minutes at a time and then come back. If nobody is waiting at all, I might keep going but I always watch for new users to come in and I reliinquish the machine.

Happy Sails to You

Thank you, thank you!!!

Happy Sails to You

As long as you're not using that break between your 30 minutes to see if your deck chair is still there! Obviously kidding, your consideration is very thoughtful :)

Sara

My only complaint is that some people abuse the 30 minute time limit on treadmills etc. I call them on it and then they get mad at me, but c'est le guerre or something like that.
If that is a persistent problem they could solve it very easily by using sign-up sheets for the various machines blocked off in half-hour intervals, the way they do at some gyms on land.

Then when you show up for your 10:30 spot on machine #9, the attendant politely tells the 10:00 guy on machine #9 that his time is up, and you are not involved in a confrontation at all.

WE've had massages in the past and they were very nice, although on the expensive side.

My wife has had her nails done a couple times on Caribbean cruisers and both times the materials they used disintegrated in salt water - something that has never happened with the nail polish she's had applied at home and come on board with.

The gyms always seem well equipped. They get busy at popular times on sea days and very busy if the weather outside isn't nice.

The only thing that is very bothersome is that both my wife and I have received a very hard sell on extremely expensive products after a massage or other treatment. Not a great way to end a relaxing treatment, especially when you perceive it is taking advantage of "your" time.

I agree. I felt strangely uncomfortable reading the very personal details in this post and the psychologist in me was left wondering about the reasons behind it.

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. :)

Odd to read but might have been the details someone was looking for if they never had a massage bfore.

Odd to read but might have been the details someone was looking for if they never had a massage bfore.

I agree. Some of the information was probably useful to someone who has never experienced a massage. However, there are ways of presenting such information which would not necessitate going into such specific details. The way this was described by the poster was odd in many ways and made me wonder about the reasons behind it and, as I mentioned in my previous post, the psychologist in me arrived at certain "conclusions". Or perhaps I am simply reading way too much into it. Or not. :)

Well truthfully although quite detailed, it was helpful info for me! Several aspects described would not have been acceptable to me. If the procedures described in this post are standard, I know my husband would not want me to book this for him (nor would I want to)!

...Thus the reason for the detail. I have no further comment other than it was probably the best quality massage I ever received. Overpriced, but excellent! And they didn't PUSH the products on me, but it was obvious that it was part of the "pitch". I said no thanks and that was that. :)

Archived