Cruise pricing...really need help.

conniejb

What is the best way to get the best price on a cruise for the summer. I want to book for June or July and these months are so expensive. We have the Norwegian Spirit and the Carnival Triumph.

It's so expensive because that's the peak travel and cruise "season". You might meet with a travel agent (there's no cost to do so) and see what she can come up with. If you're flexible, there might be some bargains to be had. There are bargains too if you can wait until the "last minute" -- 60 days or so before you want to cruise, to look for bargains.

One aspect no one has mentioned is that cruise lines no longer allow discounting-- the price you see on their web sites is the price you pay at all travel agencies, as well. Because of this, travel agencies have learned to "value-add" their cruise pricing. That means that some might offer you a bottle of wine; some might offer you on-board credit; some might offer you other perks, like free insurance or included tips. That's worth looking into!

I have not found this to be true. We booked a cruise for the week of Thanksgiving a few weeks ago from one of the large agencies and paid over $100pp Less then what NCL had on their website. I'd been told in the past that the best deals are from agencies and not direct from the lines.

One aspect no one has mentioned is that cruise lines no longer allow discounting-- the price you see on their web sites is the price you pay at all travel agencies, as well. Because of this, travel agencies have learned to "value-add" their cruise pricing. That means that some might offer you a bottle of wine; some might offer you on-board credit; some might offer you other perks, like free insurance or included tips. That's worth looking into!

I have not found this to be true. We booked a cruise for the week of Thanksgiving a few weeks ago from one of the large agencies and paid over $100pp Less then what NCL had on their website. I'd been told in the past that the best deals are from agencies and not direct from the lines.

You can't say that NCL's price was higher just by looking at the Web site. There may have been promotion codes available that the agency used but you were unaware of and did not input on the NCL Web site when you checked the pricing. NCL rules did change a couple of months ago and prohibit direct fare discounting by agencies. They can offer certain incentives such as onboard credits, and they can offer group amenities or discounts if they hold blocked group space, as they often do.

The best way to get a great deal is last minute. If you have to have a certain cabin, this obviously won't work. I have always booked well in advance but wanted to add a cruise this year. The only way to afford this was to wait until last minute. We cruised in our first inside cabin and couldn't have had a better time and it only cost $549 pp for 11 days. I'll only book last minute from now on. Should also mention that we even went so far as to book a guarentee and ended up in an inside on the 11th floor! No complaints there.:D

When did you book? NCL changed their policy in August and said TA's could no longer sale less than what's on their website. I believe Carnival did the same around August (I booked my cruise before the Aug. date)

This is all correct. :)

When I booked my July Epic cruise several months earlier we were able to get a significant discount off the NCL price by going through a travel agent. NCL's pricing policy changed in August to eliminate this competitive discounting by the TAs, which puts them more in line with how RCI and some others have done things for some time now. Under the new "no discounting" approach many TA's will still provide better deals than the line by providing perks like onboard credits, free travel insurance, gifts, etc. When I sailed on RCI a few years ago our OBCs were enough to pay for all our onboard tips plus a shore excursion for each of us. It really depends on the TA, so shop around. Some swear by local travel agents, while we have had great success each time with the TA department of a large membership-based retailer.

This is all correct. :)

When I booked my July Epic cruise several months earlier we were able to get a significant discount off the NCL price by going through a travel agent. NCL's pricing policy changed in August to eliminate this competitive discounting by the TAs, which puts them more in line with how RCI and some others have done things for some time now. Under the new "no discounting" approach many TA's will still provide better deals than the line by providing perks like onboard credits, free travel insurance, gifts, etc. When I sailed on RCI a few years ago our OBCs were enough to pay for all our onboard tips plus a shore excursion for each of us. It really depends on the TA, so shop around. Some swear by local travel agents, while we have had great success each time with the TA department of a large membership-based retailer.

Six Red letters in the name?

What do you want?

The best price - go to the nearest state park.

The best cruise - may require saving a few years, maybe not.

The best cruise line - see above.

The most fun in the time slot you have available - you asked a good question here, see other sites on CC. This will take some time, but it's fun. Enjoy whatever yo choose.

What do you want?

The best price - go to the nearest state park.

The best cruise - may require saving a few years, maybe not.

The best cruise line - see above.

The most fun in the time slot you have available - you asked a good question here, see other sites on CC. This will take some time, but it's fun. Enjoy whatever yo choose.

Are you being rude or what?

State park??? Really??? That is your advice???

Archived