consolidator question

Clairescurtains

It seems I killed off the other thread where I asked this question so perhaps a new thread might get a response.:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatam viewpost.gif

There are few here on CC that READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE THEY BOOK (or we wouldn't get all these questions about CheapoAir, Vayama, Cruise Air, Choice Air, Princess EZ Air, etc., etc. etc. There are also very few that READ and UNDERSTAND the fare classes they are booking tickets in.

I have been reading lots here and still have a few [or a lot] questions. We are planning a B2B grand Med and TA on the Magic next year and will need to fly from BHM to BCN next Oct.14 or so. We do plan on going a day early and would go two days for a really good deal on airfare.

My question is do you consider the roaming gnome or that yellow suitcase one to be consolidators?

Is just throwing the return ticket away the best idea? We can get to NYC or Atlanta very easily so maybe Are Lingus?:confused: Of course we want to go as inexpensively as possible.:o It is too early to book this but I am researching all options.

We bought a consolidator ticket two years ago and sweated bullets until we boarded the plane home. It was touch and go since we flew Alitalia and they were in the throes of bankruptcy, probably still are.

Is just throwing the return ticket away the best idea?
If you search this forum using the words "one way" in titles only, you'll get a lot of advice about this. In fact, to make it easy, =128&childforums=1&titleonly=1&showposts=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending&replyless=0&replylimit=0&searchthreadid=0&saveprefs=1&quicksearch=0&searchtype=0&nocache=0&ajax=0&userid=0&"]click here and then run the search.

My question is do you consider the roaming gnome or that yellow suitcase one to be consolidators?

I appreciate your link to the search function. I have actually used it before and I have read much of that information and still don't know the answer to the above question.

Anyone?

I appreciate your link to the search function. I have actually used it before and I have read much of that information and still don't know the answer to the above question.
The link was to help you with the question of yours which I quoted. If you already know the answers to that question, then I am sorry that I've taken your time by responding to it.

Yours is a classic case of when a legitimate consolidator could be a good idea. As you know already, fares for next October are not available yet. But checking prices for this October through a couple of the consolidators mentioned on the USACA website, for +-$600 including all taxes and fees you can fly with United/Continental/SAS from BHM to BCN. The ticket earns frequent flyer miles (albeit for this fare a reduced percentage of miles), you can use a credit card, can make one stop en route for a small surcharge, and you can make changes or cancel, though you lose $300.

American Airlines and British Air is another possibility, but they cost a good $150 more.

Of course you could always consider Aer Lingus as is often recommended for one-way trips. Just JFK-Dublin-BCN costs over $600 in October, then you have to add BHM-JFK or BHM to LaGuardia (not cheap!) and take a taxi or bus. Recheck your luggage, pay baggage fees for the domestic flight, have two tickets so more problems in case of delays. Seems infinitely easier to deal with a legitimate consolidator after doing your homework.

Thanks for the information and all the help. Now just waiting for the time to roll around.

We could do Southwest from BHM to LGA then Aer Lingus from JFK to BCN for under $1000 total including the cab from LGA to JFK, that may be the answer but I will look into the other choices as well.

Yesterday for a break, I checked one-way fares from NYC to BCN in September of next year. Found a rate of $355 on Air Berlin. Check them out as well.

Fantastic rate. I certainly will check that possibility. At that rate we could take Delta into JFK and avoid the cab ride. Maybe we could even use miles, by that time, for the Delta part

I have been using fictitious dates and checked the ITA site and they show Air Pakistan and LOT to have pretty good fares but I think I would be more trusting of Air Berlin. Not sure why except the commercials regarding German Engineering.:o

• 4 weeks later...

I am reading all about one-way flights on the boards. There are many cauionairy tails about consolidators; I was worried about using one of them, but then remembered I use "Flight Centre" for my flights all the time.

Now thinking about it, Flight Centre must be a consolidator. I checked their website, and they don't specifically say they are, but they must be right? I am not usually so thick, but I am not a pro at all this travel stuff!:o

Fantastic rate. I certainly will check that possibility. At that rate we could take Delta into JFK and avoid the cab ride. Maybe we could even use miles, by that time, for the Delta part

I have been using fictitious dates and checked the ITA site and they show Air Pakistan and LOT to have pretty good fares but I think I would be more trusting of Air Berlin. Not sure why except the commercials regarding German Engineering.:o

The LOT flights out of JFK give you an opportunity to see Warsaw if you have a desire (and the time). Just another place to click off the list. Sent two employees LOT in the Spring to Europe. They said it was the best flight they had ever had (99% of their flights have been on American carriers, domestic USA). BUT they did fly Continental to SA last year for a trade show. So if LOT was better than Continental, it must be a fairly decent airline.

The LOT flights out of JFK give you an opportunity to see Warsaw if you have a desire (and the time). Just another place to click off the list. Sent two employees LOT in the Spring to Europe. They said it was the best flight they had ever had (99% of their flights have been on American carriers, domestic USA). BUT they did fly Continental to SA last year for a trade show. So if LOT was better than Continental, it must be a fairly decent airline.

Any one else want to give a positive referral for LOT?

We still have a week or so before we can book, plus a little wait for the end of the Visa billing period.;)

So much negative being said here about the consolidators we are not going to consider that option.

Still thinking on Aer Lingus or Air Berlin for one ways and also Delta [best routing and not too bad a price] but that involves booking a one way and throwing away the return flight.:rolleyes:

Archived