Changes in St. Thomas after a cruise passenger was killed

jmraggs

I’ve been to Coki Beach a number of times and always had a wonderful time. I feel that most Americans over-react when ever a beach vendor approaches them. Considering how common that is in the Caribbean I find it odd that cruise ship tourists demand pristine beaches devoid of locals or any sign of a real culture existing on the island. The biggest problem with Coki Beach is, was and allways will be the mass of tourists that virually destroyed everything in their migatory path . Please take your money and visit the cruise line owned islands. You will be happier and won’t need to divert your eyes least you catch a glimpse of the real Caribbean.

Members with one angry post are always suspect!!!

We also lived on the Island for 15 years part time. There is very high crime all over the Island and always has been to some extent. Now with drugs so prevalent it is worse. The people of the VI (West Indians) are for the most part lovely, honest folks who lead normal law abiding lives. St Thomas serves as an entry from "down island" for drugs and folks from the other Caribbean Islands who want to have a more prosperous life in the USVI. Some of them wish to prosper illegally (imagine that!). One thing that seldom comes up on these boards is that fully one third of employed people in the VI are employed by the local government-yes that is correct, unless it has changed drastically in the past 2 years.No one wishes to shake the tree. It is also necessary to understand that almost everyone is related to everyone else in some way-the policeman to the thief to the lawyer. As part time residents we never went to Coki, bad area, bad vibes etc. worse as time went on. I have seen people threatened by a man with a machete in broad day light on a beach (not Coki). There is a lot of crime on the Island, watch where you go especially after dark.

B.

We were there is 1980 and have our anniversary cruise scheduled for 2011 and definetly plan on visiting Coki beach. Stuff happens every day, somewhere, and that obviously was a once in time accidental shooting. Yes it is sad that a child lost their precious life, but if we stopped going places because people get shot, we couldn't go anywhere anymore. We live in Orange County and if people stopped going to Los Angeles because of all the shootings, it would close down, but it doesn't keep people from going there. We just all need to be aware of our surroundings at all times. We travel alot overseas and just try to be careful, while traveling in Rome, alone on my scooter, a restauranteur noticed some youngsters eying my electric scooter and called the undercover police to watch me the rest of the day, most locals want our business and want us to remain safe and will do what it takes to keep us that way.

Crime can happen anywhere and at anytime. Most of us probably live in or near a city that had a shooting last night and will have another shooting tonight. The only reason this is making news is because of the cruise industry. If you stop visiting St. Thomas then you might as well never visit Chicago, LA, or New York again either because along with every other city in America, there have been shootings there too.

Happy cruising to all... Use good judgement... Travel in groups... and definitely ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL CARIBBEAN:D

Definitely agree with this post! Crime is everywhere & I've read the same thing about other ports "be careful, don't venture too far off the beaten path, etc." Some areas may be worse than others so just don't go to those areas, but don't disown an entire island.

Someone gets shot in the crossfire of gangs. And the authorityies put our trash cans, and clean up the bathrooms? How does this make this area of the island any more safe?

Yes, there are shootings everywhere, everyday. But generally it is in certain areas of big cities. I don't want to go to any bad neighborhood anywhere!

Part of that may be due to cruise passengers complaining about the facilities and has nothing to do with safety. Carnival has stopped going to Dominica due to comments from Cruise Passengers! Those comment cards are read!!!

I've had a love affair with St. John since 1971. It was our first experience in the tropics and also where my husband taught me the joys of snorkeling. That was years before coral bleaching and other problems made it more difficult to find excellent snorkeling locations.

I've been to Coki Beach in St Thomas twice and loved it. I wouldn't stop going there because of one incident. Unfortunatley, a tourist was killed but I don't think the cruiselines should pull out because of this. I believe they should put pressure on the authorities to make the area safer for visitors or lose the tourist dollars.

I'm from NYC and everything happens here, good and bad. You just have to deal with it and move on. I will go back to Coki Beach if ever I'm ever in St Thomas again but I will keep a watchful eye out as always.

Someone gets shot in the crossfire of gangs. And the authorityies put our trash cans, and clean up the bathrooms? How does this make this area of the island any more safe?

Yes, there are shootings everywhere, everyday. But generally it is in certain areas of big cities. I don't want to go to any bad neighborhood anywhere!

Shootings don't only take place in so-called "bad" neighborhoods in big cities. They happen anywhere, at anytime even in "good" neighborhoods.

Crime can happen anywhere and at anytime. Most of us probably live in or near a city that had a shooting last night and will have another shooting tonight. The only reason this is making news is because of the cruise industry. If you stop visiting St. Thomas then you might as well never visit Chicago, LA, or New York again either because along with every other city in America, there have been shootings there too.

Happy cruising to all... Use good judgement... Travel in groups... and definitely ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL CARIBBEAN:D

I don't visit those places either. I think I'll just stay on the ship, do the cable ride to the top of the hill and walk around Havenhight Mall this year.

Well, to add something good about people at Coki..

I was there almost two years ago running a self-tour with 3 other people (I'd been there before) and we got caught in a quick Caribbean rainstorm just as we arrived.

There was a small, rough souvenier shack right next to the Coral World parking lot that we ducked into. The folks running it were rough-looking, but just as cheerful and pleasant as you could hope for.

We stood there chatting until the weather cleared out. At no time did they pressure us to buy anything either. But we did, my skull and crossbones "Beatings will continue until moral improves" mug is still on my desk now.

We were planning on going to Coki Beach this November (been there 3 times), but after reading all the posts, we changed our minds and are going elsewhere. So sorry to the locals that rely on our tourist dollars.

On a cruise in June of this year just prior to the shooting, we shared a cab with two young ladies on our way to Red Hook to catch Ferry to St John. They were going to Coki Beach on the recommendation of their aunt who remembered it as a beautiful beach. On seeing the girls later on the ship, they commented on what a dump it was. We were glad we went to St John, but due to time, weather, didn't get to see the beaches there. Next time we'll no doubt take a more direct route (excursion) to see St John since the cabs, water taxi etc took too long and were quite costly. No desire to hit Coki beach.

I have been to St. Thomas numerous times since maybe 1976 and used to totally enjoy the island.We felt totally safe and relaxed there. The beaches were amazing and the shopping kept the wife happy. Every guy knows when the wife is happy the whole world is a wonderful place.Well I could see the changes over the years and those changes were all down hill fast.

I was never a big fan of Coki beach I prefered Megan's Bay but now both of them at least the land portion is dirty run down and depressing.As far as the safety of the area I always lived by my rule of never be afraid of your surroundings but always be aware of your surroundings.Even when on vacation be aware of whats going on around you because bad guys never take a vacation and there are bad guys every where.

I agree with other posts that if certain islands do not reinvest some of the vast sums that cruise lines bring to their island to make them safer and more beautiful then the cruise lines should steer clear of them.Also the cruise lines should notify those islands that they are by passing them because their customers prefered not to stop there.

If we as visitors continue to go to these islands and put up with filthy changing rooms, unsanitary beaches, general lack of upkeep,lack of emergency medical services and police protection then we deserve what we get because we are fools.

Vacation hot spots come and go .There are places that used to be the in spot to be that have gone down hill and have been by passed.Some have learned their lesson when the tourist bucks stopped coming in and have done what it takes to get the tourists back and some have not.

If we don't demand better then it will get worst.

What's your thoughts for a ship's excursion to Coral World to swim with the Sea Lions? Would you continue with the plans or cancel? I'm aware that things happen in all parts of the world but if this area by Coki Beach/Coral World makes people feel uncomfortable and unsafe we are wondering if we should cancel.

What's your thoughts for a ship's excursion to Coral World to swim with the Sea Lions? Would you continue with the plans or cancel? I'm aware that things happen in all parts of the world but if this area by Coki Beach/Coral World makes people feel uncomfortable and unsafe we are wondering if we should cancel.

I would go on the ship's excursion! They won't bother you! You use a separate entrance etc.

SF, St Thomas is a true tropical island. It's beautiful with hills and lush tropical plants. I have fond memories having honeymooned there. We love to visit the other beaches and feel very safe but we know things are not what they should be. I just hope they can prevent it from going the way of Jamaica. I have faith they will get it in order!

My sister and I were at Coki Jan 2010. We had a nice day, and didn't feel unsafe or threatened. I had several friendly pleasant exchanges with the locals running the souvenier stalls.

Having said that, my favorite jewelery store, The Emerald Lady, relocated from St Thomas to Key West because they were robbed and their manager murdered a few years ago. Tourism seems to be a double edged sword to many of the islands. So many places that I used to love, St Thomas and Cozumel for example, have lost a lot of the characteristics that made them unique.

SF, St Thomas is a true tropical island. It's beautiful with hills and lush tropical plants. I have fond memories having honeymooned there. We love to visit the other beaches and feel very safe but we know things are not what they should be. I just hope they can prevent it from going the way of Jamaica. I have faith they will get it in order!

We have been to St. Thomas many times in the past but not since all the negative reviews and the incident this past summer. Yes, the views are beautiful and hopefully the government will continue to improve the clean up and insure the safety of visitors so people can enjoy their time on the island.

We were in Megans Bay a few years ago, and we were totally amazed at how clean and pristine the beach was. The Taxi driver we had was awesome and she waited on us for hours while we played in the sand and the water and layed on the beach. I wouldn't hesitate going back for a minute.

Archived