Changes in St. Thomas after a cruise passenger was killed

jmraggs

We went to Coki in 2001 and even then it was crowded and dirty and we did not think it was very pretty and would not go back. We have been to St Thomas 4 or 5 times since. We have been to Trunk Bay on St John and it was beautiful and worth the time and expense to get there. My best recommendation is to take a day sail. We have done it twice and it was wonderful. We had 2 snorkel stops at bays in St John plus lunch, snacks and an open bar.

As a side note my brother in law and a friend were mugged in the middle of the day just one block off of the main tourist shopping street. They had gone to a grocery store to get some food. The muggers ripped his gold chain right off his neck and they had to physically fight the guys to get away.

a few years ago we went to coki beach with the kids to see the aquarium and to go snorkeling. i volunteered to watch our things while everyone else went in the water. i felt uncomfortable there, and witnessed a man put in handcuffs for selling ganga at the beach. everyone said the snorkeling was great, but I wouldn't go back. an american who was working at the beach also said it was terrible and couldn't wait to get back to the states.

Basically what everyone is saying is that you can't let your guard down on any island. I think we all saw that in Aruba. If you are smart and do your research you can find places that are safe in St. Thomas but always be aware!!! I read the local papers like this one:http://virginislandsdailynews.com/

We went to Coki Beach in Nov. 2007. Immediately we were quite nervous walking onto the beach as all you could smell was pot, and there were some very interesting characters loitering around. At one point, 2 of the women who were selling food & drinks got into a physical fight, right there in front of us. It was very scary! We buddied up with the couple beside us, and took turns watching each others stuff. We made a point to make sure all of our belongings were secure and not just laying out to be grabbed - I tied the handles of our beach bag to the underneath of one of our beach chairs and kept it tucked away below me......took me 20 min to untie it! Despite the negatives, it turned out to be the best stop on our cruise, and we plan to return again in 2 weeks. I figure that if I become that uncomfortable, than I can just grab a cab at Coral World and head to Magen's Bay for the remainder of the day. As someone else pointed out, you could get robbed anywhere! Just always be aware of your surroundings and if you start to feel uncomfortable - leave. I was more afraid of Castries, St Lucia.

In all fairness, since the problem on Coki the Govt supposedly has cleaned it up so to speakl In the article I listed they and the cruise lines are raving about it now. Hopefully the Coki of the past is not the Coki of the Present or Future. The Govt is smart enough to know that Tourism is what makes St. Thomas tick! I guess we should all give it a try and report back on the "new" Coki so to speak and hope the "Old" Coki never returns!!

In all fairness, since the problem on Coki the Govt supposedly has cleaned it up so to speakl In the article I listed they and the cruise lines are raving about it now. Hopefully the Coki of the past is not the Coki of the Present or Future. The Govt is smart enough to know that Tourism is what makes St. Thomas tick! I guess we should all give it a try and report back on the "new" Coki so to speak and hope the "Old" Coki never returns!!

Yeah, in all fairness, it's still very unsafe. Kind of like New Orleans, deceptively dangerous!:eek:

I had planned on going to Coki when we first booked our cruise and started reading all the negative, unsafe things posted on here and other sites. Then the shooting happened. I started doing my research and decided it was not the place for us to visit. There are other sites out there that have not only local people and tourist commenting on what it's like after the clean up. They are not too positive to say the least. Some have commented that things still go on within feet from the police sitting in their cars. But, I don't know first hand because, as I said, we decided NOT to go there.

We went to Sapphire beach instead and I have to say it was one of the prettiest beaches with the BEST snorkeling and we didn't want to leave. I can't imagine snorkeling getting any better than that. We never once felt threatened or scared and it was such a lovely place. I have pics if interested.

here we go again, havent we been through all this....

dont stir the pot.

Why not just start a new post and say Saphhire has good snorkeling or something positive instead of digging all this back up.

This was a month after all the stuff went down and it looks like thousands of people a week still enjoy and have fun at Coki.

tons of people still there. -

I had planned on going to Coki when we first booked our cruise and started reading all the negative, unsafe things posted on here and other sites. Then the shooting happened. I started doing my research and decided it was not the place for us to visit. There are other sites out there that have not only local people and tourist commenting on what it's like after the clean up. They are not too positive to say the least. Some have commented that things still go on within feet from the police sitting in their cars. But, I don't know first hand because, as I said, we decided NOT to go there.

We went to Sapphire beach instead and I have to say it was one of the prettiest beaches with the BEST snorkeling and we didn't want to leave. I can't imagine snorkeling getting any better than that. We never once felt threatened or scared and it was such a lovely place. I have pics if interested.

Post something "Positive" instead of digging up the past:).

Here is the lastest update October 13, 2010

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/tourists-locals-applaud-improvements-at-coki-point-1.1048127

What would you expect the local paper to say? It seems to be getting better but I know and you know it's still bad on ST. Thomas. Just ask anyone trying rent their timeshare. Take a look at what's left of the Pineapple beach area which is not far from Coki!!! Used to be a gem and now......

What would you expect the local paper to say? It seems to be getting better but I know and you know it's still bad on ST. Thomas. Just ask anyone trying rent their timeshare. Take a look at what's left of the Pineapple beach area which is not far from Coki!!! Used to be a gem and now......

There were 5 cruise ships in St. Thomas on Wednesday November 3rd 2010.

Coki Beach was CROWDED! I mean really Crowded with lot of cruise ship passengers.

Governor John de Jongh signs $733,703 contract for construction of new Coki Beach Boardwalk, Pavilions, Restroom Facilities etc, etc, etc.

Here is more update October 17th 2010

http://www.governordejongh.com/blog/2010/10/governor-signs-contract-for-construction-of-new-coki-point.html

Below is the blue print of how the NEW Coki Beach will look!

coki-point-rendering-large.jpg

This is "Positive" news!!:)

St Thomas has a real crime problem and this single killing is just part of the story. Last year we grabbed a very friendly taxi out to Saphire and we had a long chat with the driver (who stopped to pick us his young daughter at school during our trip). He said that most nights you could hear gunfire in some of the areas just outside of Charlotte Amalie. This guy was a true native of St Thomas but told us he now feared for his children and wife and that gangs were playing an increasing role in ruining the island for locals and tourists. The safety issues on the island are very real and "played down" by the local tourist office and cruise lines. Here is a link to a recent story that might better explain the issue:

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2000/09/20/turnbull-meets-navy-safety-issues

The US Navy has curtailed port calls to the island for quite some time due to the danger to US Sailors (makes you wonder about a normal tourist).

Hank

Was there food and drinks available at Sapphire Beach? I seem to be getting comflicting messages re: that. And there are chairs to rent also? Any umbrellas or shade?

Thanks

Was there food and drinks available at Sapphire Beach? I seem to be getting comflicting messages re: that. And there are chairs to rent also? Any umbrellas or shade?

Thanks

Yes, there is food and drinks at Sapphire along with chairs that can be rented. There is natural shade with beautiful grape trees along the beach (with nice Iguana's in them watching over you. Pretty neat)

img1875m.jpg

Can anyone give me some info on the area around Mahogany Run golf course. We will be in St Thomas for the day next week and the hubby is planning on golfing. Where exactly is it located and how far to and from the cruise ship? Also how much will taxi be? Safe to taxi alone?

Archived