Check Your on Board Charges

dag144

We just returned from Millennium's Panama Canal cruise, San Diego to San Juan. We purchased the Premium Drink Package. The cost with the 15% tip was $768 per person. This entitled us to any beverage listed for $12 or below.

In reviewing our bill on the TV, which I did often, I found eight erroneous charges ranging from $2.00 to two charges each of $43.60 for bottles of wine which we did not order.

I did not expect to be a bookkeeper for the 14 days, but I am glad that I was.

I think the problem is a relatively untrained crew. We were told that 300 of the crew was recently transferred to a new Celebrity ship.

Since we had ordered the drink package, getting the charges sorted out was fairly easy. HOWEVER, I do feel sorry for the cruisers who did not buy a package, since Celebrity's bills can be difficult to decipher.

The problem may only be on the Millennium and should get better with time. However, this tip may be helpful.

:mad:

This happens at hotels, resorts etc. too. It's always wise to keep an eye on the bill as a longer trip goes on.

My DH has been hit with errors on enough business trips, so that when we vacation, he holds onto the checks for all purchases he signed for and checks either on tv ( if billing is available there) or at the front desk every 3 or so days to make the totals match up. Saves MUCH time and discussion later if it's NOT way after the fact. Unfortunately it happens enough and your reminder that people should be vigilent is a good idea.

I keep all the receipts from anything that we purchase, and put them in order by date/time when I gather them at the end of each day. Then I check my account via the television set just to see that everything is OK, including receiving any on-board credits due us. I put a check mark on the receipt so I don't count it twice. It does not take very long to do this daily, and is a lot easier than waiting until a paper invoice is slid under your door near the end of the cruise before matching your receipts to the invoice.

Only once have I had a charge that I had no receipt for; it took a few phone calls to guest relations to get the bar bill of $11+ dollars removed (obviously not a great amount). It was probably easier because we were on a ship-sponsored shore excursion when the time was given on the screen.

We just returned from Millennium's Panama Canal cruise, San Diego to San Juan. We purchased the Premium Drink Package. The cost with the 15% tip was $768 per person. This entitled us to any beverage listed for $12 or below.

In reviewing our bill on the TV, which I did often, I found eight erroneous charges ranging from $2.00 to two charges each of $43.60 for bottles of wine which we did not order.

I did not expect to be a bookkeeper for the 14 days, but I am glad that I was.

I think the problem is a relatively untrained crew. We were told that 300 of the crew was recently transferred to a new Celebrity ship.

Since we had ordered the drink package, getting the charges sorted out was fairly easy. HOWEVER, I do feel sorry for the cruisers who did not buy a package, since Celebrity's bills can be difficult to decipher.

The problem may only be on the Millennium and should get better with time. However, this tip may be helpful.

:mad:

A hint- alway take a "baggie" just for your drink & shop on ship receipts. On a sea day sort them & ask for a print out of your current charges. Compare them if there is a wrong charge you have all the back-up etc at your fingure tips.

Carole

Another good idea is to save your final bill. Then when you get home compare it to the final charge on your credit card. On our cruise last year we were overcharged for one robe and the mini bar! A (not so quick )call to Celebrity solved the problem and saved me about $100.00.

This was cruise number 39. I always check my bill. The only other charge that I had to dispute occurred in 2001 on HAL's Zaandam. It was a double charge for some medical service and was quickly reversed.

In my opinion Celebrity needs to do lots better. Eight errors is too many on a 14 day cruise especially given the fact that we purchased the most expensive drink packages.

Since Celebrity's reversals took quite some time and often a second request, I think that all, but the most depraved accountants, would agree this is unacceptable.

:p

Archived