Room steward on the Legend problem

Snow storm

We boarded the Legend on Sept 26 and went to our suite just after 1:30PM and met our room steward. We asked him for an ashtray and he became visibly upset saying that Carnival has a new smoking policy and that smoking in the cabin was now strictly prohibited but was still allowed only the balcony. He then abruptly left and we went to guest relations and told them what he said. Guest relations said smoking was allowed and then called the hotel manager and apologized and said they would speak to the steward. Shortly thereafter the steward returned to our cabin and apologized saying he did not understand the rules. We then asked him how long he has been working on the Legend, his reply was 6 months. I remember reading another post with the same problem so this was not an isolated incident. Apparently other guests did not challenge him so he got away with it.

I think a lot of us have run into stewards who said no smoking was allowed, .. nothing to do with suites... maybe they just dont want to clean up after people?

I cant believe that many are really confused .. I think they must try and get away with it, and know most people will let it pass.

We boarded the Legend on Sept 26 and went to our suite just after 1:30PM and met our room steward. We asked him for an ashtray and he became visibly upset saying that Carnival has a new smoking policy and that smoking in the cabin was now strictly prohibited but was still allowed only the balcony. He then abruptly left and we went to guest relations and told them what he said. Guest relations said smoking was allowed and then called the hotel manager and apologized and said they would speak to the steward. Shortly thereafter the steward returned to our cabin and apologized saying he did not understand the rules. We then asked him how long he has been working on the Legend, his reply was 6 months. I remember reading another post with the same problem so this was not an isolated incident. Apparently other guests did not challenge him so he got away with it.

He apologized Then you went on and questioned his apology

years ago I did someone wrong, when I went to apologize to this person he kept going on and on how I did him wrong. After a while it becomes his problem. All one can do is to say he was wrong, if you do not accept the apology it becomes your problem.

After he apologized you kept questioning him. to what purpose did this serve!

He apologized Then you went on and questioned his apology

years ago I did someone wrong, when I went to apologize to this person he kept going on and on how I did him wrong. After a while it becomes his problem. All one can do is to say he was wrong, if you do not accept the apology it becomes your problem.

After he apologized you kept questioning him. to what purpose did this serve!

Hahaha... You make it sound as if they had him in a dark room, strapped to a chair and were shining a bright light in his eyes.

I'm not a smoker, so I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. If you got the ashtray and you had no other complaints about your steward, what's the big deal? People make mistakes and maybe the steward honestly didn't understand the rules of the policy change. The steward may have worked for the cruise line for 6 months but who is to say how long the steward had worked as a steward. On our last cruise, our waiter told us that he was a steward the week prior and that our cruise was his first week as a waiter. So maybe your steward was new. Cruise line staff are human and they do make mistakes...

Call me crazy (it's ok really) but I think the staff says what the cruise line tells them to. We were on a truly awful cruise this spring (Statendam right after a disaster of a drydock) and we spoke to many staff of all levels regarding the severe problems the ship was having and I got different stories each time. Several of these were out and out lies. It was odd. <shrugging shoulders>

This has happened to us on our last 2 cruises... same story...room steward welcomes us aboard we ask him for an ashtray...same result - we are told new smoking policy...no smoking in cabins... I just went to closest bar or smoking area picked up a couple ashtrays for cabin & balcony... he never said another word to us about it....I'm sure with the amount of cabins the stewards clean daily a little bit extra they dont have to clean helps...plus dont forget when they turn the room over completely at the end of the week...They all know the rules

I'm not a smoker, so I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. If you got the ashtray and you had no other complaints about your steward, what's the big deal? People make mistakes and maybe the steward honestly didn't understand the rules of the policy change. .

I doubt very much it was a mistake - there was no policy change that he didn't understand because there has been no policy change. The problem is that he lied to them (most probably) and they had to waste time and go clear it up with guest services. It looks like it happens quite frequently on the Legend! I'm glad we'll be prepared - DH smokes and he will only be smoking on the balcony but will still need an ashtray as I don't think the people sitting on the balconies in the direction of the wind would appreciate his ashes flying in their faces!

Our room steward on the Glory tried the same thing a couple years ago, no smoking in the cabin, only the balcony. It was my hubby's first cruise, he didn't know any differently. I just let it go because he had no intention of smoking in the cabin anyway since I no longer smoke. I think they see if they can get away with it thinking it makes their life a bit easier.

I can't blame them...they probably hate the stench of the cabins

and all the work it takes to run ionizer, etc and clean up everything

I hope Carnival soon has NO smoking in cabins or at least

charges the smokers

for all the cost of cleanup and sanitation

really who would want to smoke in a cabin anyhow?? I also wonder about all the "family" peeps here...do they smoke in the cabins with their kids??

I think they are allowed to say that to discourage smokers. It is a nasty habit. Smoking in the cabin is the same as smoking in the next passenger's cabin. Those pax may object to a smoke-infested cabin, and the steward has to do extra work to disinfect, scrub the walls, etc.

The steward gets paid no more for the extra work and the smoker pays no more yet causes more work to be done. Smoking in the cabin should be allowed only if a $50 cleaning fee is paid... and the fee should go to the steward.

Here we go...they are room stewards...that is their jobs...I dont even want to imagine the scenarios behind some of the things they have to clean...and smoke residue would probably be on the bottom of the list...they are just trying to make their life a little easier...bottom line is I just dont like being lied to...and you make me pay extra to clean a room because I smoke & I'm gone...

really who would want to smoke in a cabin anyhow?? I also wonder about all the "family" peeps here...do they smoke in the cabins with their kids??

I do just like at my house. No I don't smoke with the kids in the house I make them stand outside.....HAHAHAHAHA:D

charges the smokers

That will happen when they start charging all the drunks for the messes they make. BTW I smoke in my cabin, because I paid for that cabin and Carnival allows smoking in there.

That will happen when they start charging all the drunks for the messes they make. BTW I smoke in my cabin, because I paid for that cabin and Carnival allows smoking in there.

And hopefully soon you won't be "allowed"

that is my point :) and yeah at least they should charge you

Carnival has a stop smoking help deal for their workers, they are encouraging them to stop smoking

why should they do extra work to clean your smoke stained/smelly cabin up?

I knew we would hear other "drunks/messes">>> LOL

denial is NOT just a river in Eygpt

more and more I think the e-cigs might be the best answer to the problem

and it is a problem

Hey you may be on to something here.. I bet if there was a cleaning fee for smokers, your cabin would have a stack of ashtrays & complimentary cigarettes on day 1compliments of your room steward of course....or how about $50 cleaning fee for people who eat lunch or dinner in the lido finish & leave with food & everything else thrown on the table & floor...dont forget $50 for people with the god-awful perfume/cologne ?...$50 if you're one of the obnoxious drunks - $50 if you find it your right to order a 1/2 dozen entrees in the dining room...$50 to the parents that let their kids run up & down the halls all nite long...or am I being ridiculous :eek: ???

And hopefully soon you won't be "allowed"

that is my point :) and yeah at least they should charge you

Carnival has a stop smoking help deal for their workers, they are encouraging them to stop smoking

why should they do extra work to clean your smoke stained/smelly cabin up?

I knew we would hear other "drunks/messes">>> LOL

denial is NOT just a river in Eygpt

more and more I think the e-cigs might be the best answer to the problem

and it is a problem

...not to mention the person who has that cabin the following week who has breathing problems who now has a flare up of his lung problems due to inhaling the residue from the smoke in the cabin you had the "right" to smoke in. He paid for the cabin too, he has the "right" to breath in it.

....and the steward has the right not to have his lungs damaged by the second hand smoke residue he is forced to inhale daily while he cleans your cabin.

I think they are allowed to say that to discourage smokers. It is a nasty habit. Smoking in the cabin is the same as smoking in the next passenger's cabin. Those pax may object to a smoke-infested cabin, and the steward has to do extra work to disinfect, scrub the walls, etc.

The steward gets paid no more for the extra work and the smoker pays no more yet causes more work to be done. Smoking in the cabin should be allowed only if a $50 cleaning fee is paid... and the fee should go to the steward.

Oh Salty - nine out of ten times I agree with you; this must be number ten :)

I am not a smoker (never have) and my Dh does smoke....

We did not even realize that you could smoke in the cabins, until this thread (we have cruised many times). I just told DH and he laughed.....who knew! He only smokes outside on the balcony

We pay for our cabin the same as everyone else, we are very clean cruisers; I have seen some cabins where people leave clothes everywhere, trash and empty bottles. Why would a smoking cabin be any more difficult to clean than some that leave the cabin trashed and full of other disgusting smells (vomit, baby diapers etc.)

Until smoking becomes illegal, I think it is sad how we discriminate against those who do smoke.....yes it is a choice as someone said here but it is a legal choice that someone makes - therefore punishing someone by charging an additional cost would be discriminating; which is illegal

...bottom line is I just dont like being lied to...and you make me pay extra to clean a room because I smoke & I'm gone...

You don't like to be lied to... and other people don't like to breathe the poison you expel from your lungs. I'd take being lied to any day over stench.

Ok, here is my story! I have nothing against smokers, I used to be one for 17 years. I also only gave up smoking for someone else's benefit! However, once I had given it up, I found myself becoming very sensitive to not only cigarette smoke, but perfumes, scents, dusts, powders etc etc. My reactions to these substances varied from sneezing, coughing to severe headaches.

My doctor explained this to me this way. While I was a smoker, the smoke was dulling my senses, and once the smoke was removed from my system, I became hyper sensitive or "allergic" to those substances. His explanation was much more explanatory, but that is the crux of it.

Last October on the Liberty, we had a room which happened to be connecting to another. The doors of course were locked. Anyhow...the folks next door smoked in the cabin at night, sometimes very late into the night. Im not angry at the neighbors, as smoking is legal, and permitted in the cabins, so I had no choice but to put up with it. The opening beneath the connecting door was big enough to see light from their room when our lights were off, and also big enough to let the smoke through into ours.

Unfortuneately for them, their smoking resulted in me spending hours each night coughing. I would finally fall asleep, only to awake an hour or so later coughing again. On the third evening I guess they had enough, and we heard a fist banging on the wall. So I guess they went home, and said like we did " wow, we had a great cruise, the Liberty is a fantastic ship, but by heck the neighbors to our room......etc"!

In other much shorther words...." I will put up with your cigarette fumes, if you will put up with my coughing"

THAT IS THEIR JOB, who cares what they like or not. They can choosemto work elsewhere.

charges the smokers

Better idea here. Charge the non smokers a fee for a non smoking room!

I've read this many times over. Too lazy. They don't want to clean the smell.

Hope you downed his tips so he wouldn't forget again!

Archived