Packing for PAII Antartica

lucky0518

We are preparing for our Antartic trip in about 60 days and just were looking for clarification on the dress code.

The day time attier is clear but we have some doubt as to the evening attire.

How dressy does it get at night?

Are Jeans OK?

We are preparing for our Antartic trip in about 60 days and just were looking for clarification on the dress code.

The day time attier is clear but we have some doubt as to the evening attire.

Are Jeans OK?

If you mean Jeans at night -- IMO jeans are NEVER OK at night.

We were on the PAII in August for an Arctic cruise. We had several dressy nights (Captains Cocktail party etc) I took a black chiffon skirt, black silky pants and several tops to go with these, plus high heel black shoes. My husband had dark pants, and a sports jacket and tie. I would say 90% of passengers " dressed" for dinner. PAII is a great boat - we had a fantastic time.

Ann

We were on the PAII in August for an Arctic cruise. We had several dressy nights (Captains Cocktail party etc) I took a black chiffon skirt, black silky pants and several tops to go with these, plus high heel black shoes. My husband had dark pants, and a sports jacket and tie. I would say 90% of passengers " dressed" for dinner. PAII is a great boat - we had a fantastic time.

Ann

Pretty close to our experience in Antarctica.

There were 2 dressier nights, for which I took a sport jacket, shirt and tie. Chris took a plain black dress. From looking at the pictures, I was a touch dressier than average, as >50% of the guys had no tie. Most had button-down shirts and sports jackets though. Women had pantsuits or less commonly, dresses/skirts, as it's a touch chilly to be running around with bare legs.

The rest of the evenings, I don't remember many jeans. I wore khakis with a polo shirt or a button-down. Sometimes a sweater. Chris wore mainly pants outfits. Too cold for skirts, and you never knew when you'd have to jump up and run outside to see something.

There was a family of 20-somethings who wore jeans every night, even on the dressier nights. IMO they looked out of place, though it didn't bother me or spoil or enjoyment of the cruise... We wore jeans all day, even at breakfast and lunch, but thought it was nice to get into something a bit dressier at night. Some didn't - no problem.

But, after wandering around in penguin guano all day, do you really want to wear your jeans to the dinner table :eek: ?

Ann

Most evenings I wore dress pants (cotton or wool) and a collared shirt. I did not take a jacket since this was, after all, an expedition - but I did take a black sweater vest that I wore on the dressier evenings. Our fellow passengers were probably half European (many from Austria and Germany) and half American/Canadian with a few from from Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. All in all, a very international group.

I would say the Europeans dressed more formally (more jackets for the men and dresses for the ladies). There were some in ties, but I don't recall any men in suits and certainly no tuxes. We Americans were more relaxed in their dress, but I would say no one felt out of place.

The PA II is a wonderful ship and I wish you a wonderful expedition.

Ann

Most evenings I wore dress pants (cotton or wool) and a collared shirt. I did not take a jacket since this was, after all, an expedition - but I did take a black sweater vest that I wore on the dressier evenings. Our fellow passengers were probably half European (many from Austria and Germany) and half American/Canadian with a few from from Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. All in all, a very international group.

I would say the Europeans dressed more formally (more jackets for the men and dresses for the ladies). There were some in ties, but I don't recall any men in suits and certainly no tuxes. We Americans were more relaxed in their dress, but I would say no one felt out of place.

The PA II is a wonderful ship and I wish you a wonderful expedition.

Ann

Hi Ann:

A little off topic. I see you were on the Orion in 2009. We are looking at the same Broome-Darwin (Kimberly Expedition or Highlights) itinerary. How would you compare the PA II experience with that of the Orion?

Thanks.

Ann

Hi Ann:

A little off topic. I see you were on the Orion in 2009. We are looking at the same Broome-Darwin (Kimberly Expedition or Highlights) itinerary. How would you compare the PA II experience with that of the Orion?

Thanks.

Hi Ann:

Thanks.

Hi Michael,

We had a great time on the Orion. There are a lot of similiarities between the PAII and Orion. PAII style of expedition cruising is based on the Orion, ( as the PAII "pinched" quite a few leading staff members !) As to the cruise itself, the boat is a bit smaller than the PAII, and dining times are fixed, but the food is very good. Alcohol is not included. You are in the zodiacs twice a day - there is always something going on. Expedition staff are excellent, crew fillipino, captain english. If you go - please allow a few days either side if you can, Broome is an interesting place, hire a little car at the airport when you arrive - it really is the only way to get around. On board definitely do the two helicopter rides - they are fantastic and the only way to get to see both falls. There is a thread on the Orion here - several people have put a review - including me

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=842572&highlight=orion&page=2

Here is a link to Broome - try to be there for the "Staircase to the Moon" a phenomenon that only happens 3 nights a month !

http://www.broomevisitorcentre.com.au/events_monthly.asp

I have lots of photos - if you want to see them or ask any other specific questions just send me a message : rojaan19 at gmail dot com

Ann

Hi Michael,

We had a great time on the Orion. There are a lot of similiarities between the PAII and Orion. PAII style of expedition cruising is based on the Orion, ( as the PAII "pinched" quite a few leading staff members !) As to the cruise itself, the boat is a bit smaller than the PAII, and dining times are fixed, but the food is very good. Alcohol is not included. You are in the zodiacs twice a day - there is always something going on. Expedition staff are excellent, crew fillipino, captain english. If you go - please allow a few days either side if you can, Broome is an interesting place, hire a little car at the airport when you arrive - it really is the only way to get around. On board definitely do the two helicopter rides - they are fantastic and the only way to get to see both falls. There is a thread on the Orion here - several people have put a review - including me

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=842572&highlight=orion&page=2

Here is a link to Broome - try to be there for the "Staircase to the Moon" a phenomenon that only happens 3 nights a month !

http://www.broomevisitorcentre.com.au/events_monthly.asp

I have lots of photos - if you want to see them or ask any other specific questions just send me a message : rojaan19 at gmail dot com

Ann

I only saw one review when i went to the member section. We have never been to Australia so we were planning to perhaps build a land tour around the crusie. It might prove to be too many days, but we have a lot of time to plan since we are looking at 2012.

Thanks again I will check out the reviews.

I first want to appologize for the delay getting back to the thread. I have been on the road and this is the first chance I have to get back to all who have helped answer my questions.

It is now very clear what we are to expect onboard, and I must say it is along the line of what we expected.

Again thanks to all.

We are truly looking forward to out 01/15/11 sailing.

Again thanks to all for your information.

Hi, Lucky (fellow holiday traveler)

I am planning to bring something like black khakis that look okay with a decent shirt. I will probably have several black cashmere sweaters that can dress up or down as the "base" wardrobe with some colors thown in. And some holiday red. I may bring a sparkly shirt or sweater for dressup but I don't want to pack cocktail attire and have no intention of wearing high heels on this trip.

My husband is bringing a tie because he just bought one at the gift shop of the Museum of Natural History's expedition about the Scott-Amundsen race to the S. pole (fascinating exhibit by the way!!!). The tie is in the style of Hermes with penguins. :)

Archived