Waterproof camera recommendations?

Try ebay, you can find some of last years models for 199 or even less.

The olympus tough line is a good one to look at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Stylus-Tough-6000-10MP-2-7inch-Blue-REFURBISHED-/300473814173?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item45f5a28c9d

I would like to buy a new waterproof camera. I love the canon d10, but I don't want to pay $275. Does anyone have recommendations for a waterproof camera. I don't need one that will go really deep...snorkeling is what I would like to use it for. If you have any warnings I would like to hear those too.

eBay - and before you buy any of the waterproof digital like the d10 look at the reviews on Amazon. Although I've heard some great recommendations and seen some great photos from these I remain skeptical about the possibility of leaks. I use an older Canon digital camera (SD870) along with a separate Canon marine case. Together these cost well over the $275 if bought new.

If you truly want to go deep you need a separate marine case, the waterproof digital like the D10 will not go deep and remain watertight.

If it's for light-duty use, only occasional photos, and you take some basic care when using it, the cheaper digitals should be fine for snorkeling use...depends on if you're trying to get results to publish in National Geographic, or just some cool snaps to remember a vacation and an underwater excursion.

All waterproof cameras have an achilles heel, no matter how expensive or cheap - they all have at least one major door that accesses the camera's internals that is completely dependent on the user to seal. So all of them from the very best, most expensive professional diving case with a DSLR to the el-cheapo digital for snorkeling use, can end up being a lump of useless metal and plastic if the door isn't properly sealed. Take care to check the rubber gasket, keep it occasionally lubricated, clean off any grit, dust, sand, or debris, rinse off salt water after use, and always carefully close the door making sure the rubber gasket lining it seals properly before locking it down, and reliability won't be an issue. 90% of the time someone reports a problem with water intrusion, it ends up being at the door, and most of the time that means user error!

Archived