Do you use the gym on the ships?

Shipbound

I will use it once or twice as I workout 4-5 days a week at home. I do alot of powerlifting/strongman competitions so there isn't usually enough weight/equipment(not being cocky, just stating facts as they don't have a power rack, etc.) to do what I do at home. However, I use it as a deload week to give my body a break.

I will use it once or twice as I workout 4-5 days a week at home. I do alot of powerlifting/strongman competitions so there isn't usually enough weight/equipment(not being cocky, just stating facts as they don't have a power rack, etc.) to do what I do at home. However, I use it as a deload week to give my body a break.

Damn, I'm seriously impressed by a lot of you guys, so much so that I feel I should really make a concerted effort to visit the gym.

Although I go most days I don't run, I do use treadmill but walk fast on high incline but am planning on starting C25K (couch to 5k) so maybe now is time to bite the bullet :D

Fiona

Damn, I'm seriously impressed by a lot of you guys, so much so that I feel I should really make a concerted effort to visit the gym.

Although I go most days I don't run, I do use treadmill but walk fast on high incline but am planning on starting C25K (couch to 5k) so maybe now is time to bite the bullet :D

Fiona

Fiona

And gals and old ladies (I'm 61) too I hope. :p

Fiona

And gals and old ladies (I'm 61) too I hope. :p

Going to the gym is part of my lifestyle so when I'm on a cruise I try to use the gym four or five times, since I'm a morning person I go in the morning to get the day started. What about you?

Gary

I have and I have also just skipped it depending on how much walking is planned at port. I tend to use the walking track and take the stairs (I normally am on 1 and walking up and down to the pool adds up). LOL

Going to the gym is part of my lifestyle so when I'm on a cruise I try to use the gym four or five times, since I'm a morning person I go in the morning to get the day started. What about you?

Gary

treadmill and some weights maybe twice during a 7 day cruise. I try to use the stairs instead of the elevators too. I find 4-5 pm is a good time to visit the gym. I don't like CCL converting the spa hot tub to a spin room though.

One of the first things I do is go to the spa and sign up for all the group cycling classes. I dont think I could ever go a week without working out.

I just hate they they took the hot tubs out of most of the gyms.

Hot tubs in the gyms are only on the Spirt class ships, so far that i know of. I havent been on the newest ships yet, (Dream, etc).

at about 80 lbs overweight and hitting that big 50 , you put me to shame:o I really need to get this body in shape and the only way to do it is to get moving,I plan on doing walking on the ship and try and use the stairs also, and to tell you the truth we eat at the buffet and I usually like to get salads and fruit, believe me I hit the desserts but,if there is fresh fruit ,I actually like that more.

My routine at home is a heck of alot different, im up at 5 a.m. every morning, but dont get motivated to work out, and yes I know that would be the best time!!!!!;) I commend each and every one of you that get up and out and do all that you need to do!!

I need to just get off my keester and do it too:eek:

I've been to the gym to take the tour the first day, but never to work out. I have a Bowflex at home, but don't know how to use all those machines that they have. Do they do an orientation and show you how to use them safely?

Sewut

Hot tubs in the gyms are only on the Spirt class ships, so far that i know of. I havent been on the newest ships yet, (Dream, etc).

They were on all Fantasy, Destiny,Triumph and Conquest class ships, before Carnival decided to create another revenue stream and use that space for seminars/aerobics.

Here is an old thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=872178&highlight=hot+tubs+spa

Last cruise was 2 years ago on the Glory. I got up in the morning for 1/2 hour of Tai Chi on the upper deck, then to the Fitness Center for an hour of cardio on the eliptical and 15-20 minutes on the weight machines. Never took the elevator but walked the stairs everywhere. I gained 10 pounds that week! :eek:

Cheers!

I feel your pain! Last year on the Freedom, I went to the gym 3 out of 6 days, got in a 4th workout in Ocho Rios snorkeling for almost an hour and climbing Dunn's River Falls, took the stairs, used the dry sauna most nights, and still gained around 7 pounds.

I do use the gym when I'm on the ship, but mostly just on the sea days. I typically will put in about an hour, much less than the 1.5-2 hours I put in at my gym back home but it's something. I also like to snorkel and do active shore excursions for more exercise.

Grandmillie, It is good you want to get in better shape but dont push it until you get a physcial from your doctor especially if you have not did any strenous activity for awhile.Your doctor can get your family history, if you smoke, eating habits, blood presure,ect. Loosing weight will improve your health but it must be done safely. Living a healty lifestyle is not only good for everybody but when you think of it if more and more people live a better lifestyle that may lower the healthcare costs overall(less heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure,ect).

Good luck!!!!

Gary.

My DH gets up at 4:45 to Workout:eek:.

Last year on the Freedom he went to the gym a few times or ran up top when it wasn't closed due to winds.

I workout everyday also but didn't on the cruise. I just ate off the Spa menu a few times or light lunches so I didn't feel bad having dessert, plus the never ending glasses of wine.. :D I never felt like I was missing anything. If I wanted it I ate it. I just made choices/trade offs.

We took the stairs, never the elevator. Plus our excursions are more on the active side. We managed to get off the 8 day cruise with no weight gain.

If it is nice I do plan on walking up top over Thanksgiving. Maybe even go to the gym if I can find it :p

Gary

I use the treadmill everyday for an hour and a half, then I walk the stairs several times. I wouldn't know what to do without the gym, except walk up on deck which I might do anyways just to feel the cool breeze. I'm use to walking outdoors and prefer that to the treadmill.

Archived