Azamara Quest v. Seabourn Quest?

cpgrneyes

We sailed on Azamara this year and LOVED the experience. We were lucky enough to get a Sky Suite at the old price, and truly enjoyed the small ship experience. We're booked on another cruise next year, and at the new prices, will be in a standard veranda cabin.

I found almost the same itinerary on the new Seabourn Quest, and these veranda cabins are suites without the shower issues my 6'1" DH will no doubt struggle with on Azamara's cabin. This ship is smaller than A, has a better itinerary (for us), but is more money. When I calc in the fact that we would be traveling through Europe on the land portion for two fewer days with all those associated costs, the fact that cocktails are included, and that both DH and I will save 2 very precious vacation days, the cost differential is well within reason for us.

My question is to any of you who have sailed both lines. We loved the casual, friendly attitude on Azamara, the happy crew, the small size (our ship sailed half full), and while onboard cancelled our Celebrity Equinox trip to book on A.

How does Seabourn compare? The ship will be two months old and that is a plus, but we were fine with Azamara.

I'm going to be posting this on Seabourn as well, but look forward to comments from this board.

Thanks!

While Azamara is a terrific deluxe cruise line Seabourn is luxury. It is in a completely different category and if the prices are not that different I'd say give them a try just so you can compare yourself. Seabourn now is much more casual than it used to be, though not quite as casual as Azamara.

We sailed on Azamara this year and LOVED the experience. We were lucky enough to get a Sky Suite at the old price, and truly enjoyed the small ship experience. We're booked on another cruise next year, and at the new prices, will be in a standard veranda cabin.

I found almost the same itinerary on the new Seabourn Quest, and these veranda cabins are suites without the shower issues my 6'1" DH will no doubt struggle with on Azamara's cabin. This ship is smaller than A, has a better itinerary (for us), but is more money. When I calc in the fact that we would be traveling through Europe on the land portion for two fewer days with all those associated costs, the fact that cocktails are included, and that both DH and I will save 2 very precious vacation days, the cost differential is well within reason for us.

My question is to any of you who have sailed both lines. We loved the casual, friendly attitude on Azamara, the happy crew, the small size (our ship sailed half full), and while onboard cancelled our Celebrity Equinox trip to book on A.

How does Seabourn compare? The ship will be two months old and that is a plus, but we were fine with Azamara.

I'm going to be posting this on Seabourn as well, but look forward to comments from this board.

Thanks!

Why don't you read the Seabourn Board and get a feel for it for yourself. Before you "Invest" your money invest a little time and see which maybe the better fit for you.

No question - Seabourn. The cabin, and bathroom, would be considerably nicer. They are country club casual, so no formal nights on them either.

This really is a no contest decision.

A very interesting QUESTion. I've never been on Azamara but have had considerable experience with Seabourn. In the past, I would have said, absolutely Seabourn. But time has brought changes to Seabourn and I don't think the choice is so clear. A number of former Seabourn staff and officers have moved over to Azamara and have brought their service culture with them. The line has new, creative and upscale menus. Also some very exciting itineraries. It seems to a line on the "upswing" while Seabourn is an established line that is having some difficulties adjusting to new, larger ships as well as catering to a younger generation. If, like the OP, I was very happy with Azamara I don't think I would pay substantially more to try Seabourn now. What's the point? Where is the value? Why pass by something so enjoyable for the unknown?

Thanks for all your input. Truly, when weigh it all, the Seabourn itinerary leaving on a Monday really works a lot better for us. While it would shorten the land portion two days, it would also mean we'd save precious vacation days AND the cots of two land days of hotel/food/car in Europe, making the difference in the cruises a net of several hundred dollars. When I compare the more inclusive, much larger suite on Seabourn, I think I've made mt decision.

I love Azamara and will be back someday, but coming from the US, those 7-day Saturday departures are NOT ideal.

I guess I'll be the true guinea pig, as we're a relatively young couple in our early 50's with older kids. My wife and I have only traveled Seabourn over the past few years to fantastic locations with even better service. My wife simply loves everything about Seabourn. On the other hand, Azamara seems to be heading in the direction that Seabourn sits, with a price that comes in under Seabourns $1000/1500 a day. In the end, it always comes down to the people who run the ship, and the people you meet. Azamara looks like they have the goods, and those that got to enjoy it when the prices were way down enjoyed a great secret. I happen to like all inclusive travel, as nickle a dime stuff for an expensive trip seems counter productive, so let's see how Azamara handles a holiday crowd, and I'll report my findings in January. Looking for to the change, and I'm hoping not to be dissapointed by anything. I'm not a caviar in the hot tub type in any case, so unless that's what you like, Azamara I;m sure will be great for you. For me, I wasn't taking my kids on Seabourn, and they're in their early twenties, so although I know Azamara has an older crowd as well, I hoping a holiday trip through the Panama Canal will be a bit younger, we'll see.

westmount

Archived