Questions regarding galveston port?

DES07

I will be leaving out of galveston 11/21/10 for our first seven night cruise. Very excited... But, I do have a couple of question about the port.

1. What is the earliest you can check in?

2. What time do they normally let you on the ship?

3. What is there to do around the port area since we are coming in the day before, we are staying at the Hilton Galveston island resort any information on this hotel?

4. Any other information would be great.

Sounds like you will be staying over by the beach, not by the port. The historic strand area is near the port. I like the beach and walking along the seawall. Its three miles long I think.

Earliest we have ever boarded is right before 11 am, and Im VIP so one fo the first to board. When you check in, you will get a zone card, and when they call your zone you can board.

Last time it was closer to Noon before we boarded, some tests they were running held up boarding. Usually Im up at the buffet and eating by Noon.

It should take you about 15 minutes or less to get from your hotel to the port. You haven't mentioned parking, if you don't plan on leaving your car at the hotel, you might want to consider EZCruise Park. This is the place we where we leave our car when we are on our cruises. And they will transport you and your luggage to the ship and back to their parking lot after the cruise. If you go online you can save $5.00 off the weekly parking.

Since you are going the day before you might want to visit Galveston's Historical Strand District. It is very near the port terminals and they have some excellent restaurants to eat in.

You can also go to www.galveston.com/webcams to see different scenes from around Galveston Island.

Since we are staying in Galveston the night before I just don't want to go over to early and have longer to wait. But, I also don't want to be stuck in long lines it I can help it.

I usually arrive at the cruise terminal around 10:30 and typically boarding starts around 11:15.... There are several restaurants along the seawall, but also downtown (25th street) has lots too and it's right across the street from the cruise terminal......just down from the cruise terminal is the Tall ship the Elissa which has tours and there are 3 restaurants Pier 25, Willie G's and Olympia that are all excellent places to eat.

One of my favorite places to eat on the seawall is Fishtales. It's at the corner of 25th & Seawall and has a big rotating fish tale on it's roof. It's one of the few places that serve Shrimpkisses which is a butterflied shrimp wrapped around pepperjack cheese, wrapped in bacon and fried........truely yummy

I agree about getting there early. First time I sailed out of Galveston we arrived around 11:45 and it took over 1.5 hours to get on board. Lines, lines, and more lines. Last time, around 2 months ago, I arrived at 10:40 and was on board at 11:30. That included waiting 25 minutes for the ship to start to board. When we started boarding at around 11:30, the lines were huge. If parking your car at the port, I highly recommend Lighthouse parking.

I will be leaving out of galveston 11/21/10 for our first seven night cruise. Very excited... But, I do have a couple of question about the port.

1. What is the earliest you can check in?

2. What time do they normally let you on the ship?

3. What is there to do around the port area since we are coming in the day before, we are staying at the Hilton Galveston island resort any information on this hotel?

4. Any other information would be great.

hilton has free cruise parking and a free shuttle I believe, so that's why I never mentioned parking elsewhere. why would you when you can do it for free.

check with the hotel to be sure.

hilton has free cruise parking and a free shuttle I believe, so that's why I never mentioned parking elsewhere. why would you when you can do it for free.

check with the hotel to be sure.

We are flying in and taking the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then our hotel has a free shuttle that will take us to the pier.

I am by no means an expert on Galveston; I've only been there once. But here are a few things that seem fun to see and do.

1. The Strand District

2. Moody Gardens. I personally would like to see the aquarium.

3. The beach. Who that is normally land locked doesn't enjoy the ocean?

4. Murdoch's: This is a really cool sea side gift shop. Found a lot of cool things to bring home to my land locked relatives.

5. La Confectionary (it's a candy place)

6. The Spot and Mosquito Cafe

7. And there is a ton of historic buildings and sites to look at.

Last year we only spent one night and decided to spend an extra night so we could spend some time visiting this interesting town. :D

My novice opinion

when you check in. they give them out in order.

Just wondering about these...never seen a zone card. I've sailed on The Ecstasy 3 times out of Galveston and never gotten one. We usually get there about 11 or 11:30 and we're on the ship pretty quickly.

look on galveston.com (what to do)(calendar of events) in month of visit,

there are special events :Din Galveston almost every weekend Saturday in Galveston,

besides these listed below that on going

1894 grand opera house (a must see and maybe a performance that night)

ghost tours

old town - on strand street (lots of shops and ice cream, old army surplus store)

galveston historical foundation properties (a must)

Seafood seafood seafood

antique stores

airplane flight museum

restored tall ship schooner Elisa

short 1900 storm and pirate jean Laffite films at port

walk on the beach

dolphin watch and port tour

turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

carved damaged trees from storm

kite flying on beach

free ferry ride to Boliver

maritime museum

seawolf park with wwII submarine and destroyer

many historical homes

bishops palace (wonderful)

moody mansion

oil drilling rig museum

fishing

shelling

large souvenir shop over gulf water

moody gardens (lots to do) (Imax Theater with lots of educational films)

schlitterbahn water park

duck tour (amphibious boat

Archived