Rough Seas

firespk

Dorset Cruiser - We were on the OP the week before you and the First Officer told us that the area between BCN and Nice is very typically rough. It was rough on our sailing too, but nothing we couldn't handle. In fact, it was rough there, plus between Nice and Livorno and again, between Livorno and Civitavecchia.

The week before us was REALLY rough, so much so that the First Officer said 95% of the crew and passengers were sick to some extent or another. I suppose it has something to do with the time of year and size of ship too.

We will be in that area this time next year and I am planning on bringing AND taking extra Gravol before we hit that area. I really really hope that helps me.

FYI - we always book amidships and low. It does help.

Sure. . That's unusual that a 35 ft. boat made you seasick, but being on the Aloha Deck didn't. :confused: Guess there's no figuring out the human body sometimes. ;)

I don't think it is unusual to get seasick on a fishing boat. The swells were big off the shore of Cancun, much more rocking compared to the ship. The other couple we were with were vomiting off the side for 2 hours.

Once the boat headed back to shore, I got better. Thank goodness!

That's unusual that a 35 ft. boat made you seasick, but being on the Aloha Deck didn't. :confused: Guess there's no figuring out the human body sometimes. ;)
It all depends on the type of movement. The ONLY time I have ever felt seasick was on the catamaran from Newport Beach (CA) to Catalina. The boat was moving every which way from Sunday and at least 75% of the passengers were getting sick. I don't think I felt queasy due to the movement but because of everyone upchucking around me. As soon as I went outside, I was fine.

If someone tends to get seasick, I would think fresh air and a visual of the horizon can make a big difference. But what do I know?

The final day of our voyage was the only day at sea, during which we experienced remnants of Hurricane Nicole that produced choppy waters and high winds. DH and I made our way up to Skywalkers for pre-dinner cocktails and hors d'ouerves on our last evening onboard, which was also DH's birthday. Other than the waiters, there was no one else there, and we rather enjoyed the views of the storm from this perch far above sea level. We saw a magnificent rainbow and watched a Carnival ship follow in our wake until it was time to go to dinner.

Above is an excerpt from my review of the Caribbean Princess cruise 9/25-10-2. The storm hit mid-afternoon and continued through the evening hours. The production show was cancelled that night, and DH and I heard that a lot of passengers were sick. We were fine, but I didn't feel safe walking about unless I could grab a railing to steady myself. In an odd sort of way, it was actually kind of fun - like being afraid to go on a rollercoaster and then wanting to go again after you survived it :D

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I am a little nervous about our upcoming cruise. Fort Lauderdale to LA. The part I am nervouse about is Cabo to LA. I remember our first cruise we had 15-20 foot swells and there were alot of sick people not just me. I had quit taking Bonine because I was fine on the way down, but boy from Cabo to San Francisco was awful. I have learned it is better to take Bonine and not need it than to not take it and need it.:eek:

I am a little nervous about our upcoming cruise. Fort Lauderdale to LA. The part I am nervouse about is Cabo to LA. I remember our first cruise we had 15-20 foot swells and there were alot of sick people not just me. I had quit taking Bonine because I was fine on the way down, but boy from Cabo to San Francisco was awful. I have learned it is better to take Bonine and not need it than to not take it and need it.:eek:

It's normal to have rough seas heading north from Cabo. Expect it. It's always that way. We've sailed right around there many, many times and the average waves tend to be in the 7.5-8.5' range, so not too bad. Maybe you'll have a more typical experience this time?

It's normal to have rough seas heading north from Cabo. Expect it. It's always that way. We've sailed right around there many, many times and the average waves tend to be in the 7.5-8.5' range, so not too bad. Maybe you'll have a more typical experience this time?

I am hoping that the Island Princess handles it better thatn the Dawn Princess. On the Dawn we were in the 400's on Caribe Deck. This time on the Island we are farther Forward on Dolphin Deck low 300's. But I won't forget my Bonine!;)

Not really talked to anyone who has also been in storms as bad as we have on cruises, so good to know it isn't just our aura! We were in a typhoon in the Tazmanian Sea, where we sat for 5 days while waves 70 feet high hit us! One broke a window on deck 12, nearly hitting a woman sitting there reading! My DH and I were 2 of very few passengers who were not affected somehow. We had the dining room to ourselves, along with most of the rest of the ship! Everything was roped off, seasickness bags every 10 feet. When we did get to port, there were 8 ambulances waiting for our ship. Several people broke bones falling out of bed. We missed 5 ports of call. Really don't want to experience that again!

Yup. I would have loved it. :) I HATE roller coasters but do enjoy ship movement. Go figure. However, there is a fine line between fun and fear. I was on the Amsterdam in Antarctica and as we sailed through a straight, we were hit by katabatic winds which put the ship at a 12-degree list that she couldn't recover from until we rounded Paulet Island. That didn't bother me in the least and I've been on ships with 20-30' seas. On the other hand, I wouldn't have wanted to be on the Prinsendam when they were going through the Force 12 storm, nor would I have wanted to be on her several years ago when she was hit by a succession of 64-70' rogue waves south of Ushuaia. When I was a teenager, I went to/from Europe on a freighter (long story and an incredible experience) and as we sailed from Rotterdam and into the English Channel, we were hit by a Force 10 storm. The ship was sailing empty, no stabilizers of course back in the 50s, and we bounced around like a cork for about 24 hours, often with the ship's propellers coming out of the water as the bow dug into the waves. THAT was exciting.

I think I was a Sailor in my past life. I love, love the sea and all that she has to give.

When the ship is "rockin & rollin" I love it even more, especially when on a large vessel.

My DH needs to sit down. He doesn't like it and has been known to get quite queazy!

Not really talked to anyone who has also been in storms as bad as we have on cruises, so good to know it isn't just our aura! We were in a typhoon in the Tazmanian Sea, where we sat for 5 days while waves 70 feet high hit us! One broke a window on deck 12, nearly hitting a woman sitting there reading! My DH and I were 2 of very few passengers who were not affected somehow. We had the dining room to ourselves, along with most of the rest of the ship! Everything was roped off, seasickness bags every 10 feet. When we did get to port, there were 8 ambulances waiting for our ship. Several people broke bones falling out of bed. We missed 5 ports of call. Really don't want to experience that again!

Gotta ask - did the cruise line offer anything to offset the more or less ruined vacation?

When we were sailing to Hawaii from Long Beach we got some really high seas, it was so bad they cancelled lifeboat training, as half the guest could not leave their room, some had garbage cans walking down halls, getting sick, others were laying on the ground.

My husband almost did not make it back to room, he was so sick. I never get sick only once on a small sail boat

That night half the dining room was empty, but my husband tried to go, the chef brought him fresh sliced ginger root to eat, it was very spicy like radishes, also he told him to sit so waves rocked him like you are in a rocking chair not side to side

It really helped....:D he was much better and we had a nice dinner

Plumeria

The cruise was awesome, the weather was amazing and ports were beautiful. Just the last day was rough. Better the last one than the first one though.

We were on this cruise also, and I agree with you. it was an amazing cruise but the last day was rough...and our cabin was P324...cant get any lower or midship than that! :D

Love all these rough sea stories. Reminds me of the days when the waves would actually break over the flight deck and if the old memory is correct that was about 65 feet above the water. And that happened more than a few times. But never been sea sick and love roller coasters.:eek:

Sorry 4 the delay in responding. just got back on the boards. the cruiseline wouldn't offer anything until their "headquarters" authorized it as better to provide some customer service than to deal with a mass lawsuit, I think!:rolleyes: They provided nothing onboard (including any activitiesfor those who did not get sick)for the entire period of missed ports. Since they were not legally responsible for "natural disasters", they thought they should save the money it would cost them, but were finally convinced that something should be done as a token of concern, loyalty continuation and probable bad publicity! They offered a free drink with dinner one night, credit for the port charges we had paid(which they had to legally do) and $250 credit toward another cruise. Having experience in customer relations myself, I was quite underwhelmed by the attitude of the staff and end result of generosity from the company!Oh well...

Gotta ask - did the cruise line offer anything to offset the more or less ruined vacation?

Archived