Flight times out of Heathrow

We are cruising on the Independence next April. The cruise ends on a Wednesday, the 27th.

As I am looking at flights home out of Heathrow, I am unsure about the timing.

So, to anyone who lives in the area, or who has done this RECENTLY:

What is the earliest flight you would book out of Heathrow, knowing about disembarkation times, travel times, check-in times, security line times, and customs & immigration times?

(I searched for about an hour for any old threads about this, but none seemed to answer my question)

Ideally, I would take one more day and return home the next day, but I'm supposed to be in class on the 28th! :eek:

Thanks in advance for any experience-based advice.

Hi,

We were on the Indy last year and although I can't help with flight details as, living in the UK, we took the car to Southampton, what I can tell you is that by 9am the ship was almost empty of pax. We disembarked at about 9.20am and were one of the last to leave. The ship docked at approx 5am.

Hope this helps, I am sure you will get many replies to help you with your other questions.

Indy is a wonderful ship, hope you have a fabulous time.

Carole

Not a place I would want to go back to....however, if you are well armed with helpful information, I believe it can be done. You need a lot of time in the airport...A LOT. Not to scare you or anything...but the only part of our recent Mediterranean cruise that slowed us down, was our time spent in that airport. My detailed blog will point out some of the "interesting" things we encountered at Heathrow, upon entering the country and leaving it through this place. The lines everywhere were unending...I won't sugar coat it because we just lived it.

The Independence is a great ship, we were on board when she came across for the first time in Nov 08. We have been on two transatlantics and just completed our first med cruise, which was a dream come true. Have a wonderful trip...do lots of research...it really is a great adventure across the seas...happy cruising....Joanne

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse earlier this year out of Southampton and flew in and out of Heathrow. We stayed in London for a few days post cruise but on docking day, I wouldn't book anything earlier than 1pm. Many we talked to were on a 3pm flight.

You would be best to sort out your travel arrangements to the ship and back and work out your flights from there.

Jo

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse earlier this year out of Southampton and flew in and out of Heathrow. We stayed in London for a few days post cruise but on docking day, I wouldn't book anything earlier than 1pm. Many we talked to were on a 3pm flight.

You would be best to sort out your travel arrangements to the ship and back and work out your flights from there.

Jo

Jo, that's what I was "afraid" of. My choices are basically 12:35 or 4:25.

Naturally, the 12:35 is less expensive.

<sigh>

Jo, that's what I was "afraid" of. My choices are basically 12:35 or 4:25.

Naturally, the 12:35 is less expensive.

<sigh>

Carol, you know that the reason it's less is because the airlines know cruisers can't make that flight.;)

The funny thing is, my first assumption was: Well, we'll have a car. We can get to the airport very quickly; no waiting for coaches. My daughter lives there, and we'll just drive in her...............

OOPS. She has a mini. Three adults and their luggage in a mini?

YIKES!

Carol, you know that the reason it's less is because the airlines know cruisers can't make that flight.;)

BA & USAir both have that 12:30-ish flight. Only BA has the later flight. And the fare is higher on BA. CRUD.

Anti-American discrimination! :D

The funny thing is, my first assumption was: Well, we'll have a car. We can get to the airport very quickly; no waiting for coaches. My daughter lives there, and we'll just drive in her...............

OOPS. She has a mini. Three adults and their luggage in a mini?

YIKES!

:eek: And RPC and I thought our driver was having trying to get our luggage (well, mainly my luggage;)) in the boot of our car. He said he was good at playing Tetris.:p

BA & USAir both have that 12:30-ish flight. Only BA has the later flight. And the fare is higher on BA. CRUD.

Anti-American discrimination! :D

Hey at least I've heard better things about BA than US.

Can your daughter not rent a nice big car for the day?

All being well your journey from Southampton to Heathrow should take an hour and a half (barring traffic snafus) You need to be there 2 hrs prior to your flight. So, if you do the self assist and leave the ship at 0730 or thereabouts you should be fine...:)

We thought we'd booked a BA flight (originated and returned to Miami) from Heathrow to Barcelona...it ended up being an Iberia flight YIKES!!!

Happy cruising...Joanne

From Heathrow to PHL it has to be on BA metal so no worries on that one.

12:35 is doable, but you would really need to be leaving Southampton no later than 0830 in my opinion. Remember on a Wednesday that is also rush hour, which starts to ease off around 9am.

Unless the price difference is sufficiently high, I would go for the late afternoon flight, which should reduce your stress levels and provides plenty of buffer time for the unforseen contingencies.

With the 5 hour time difference you would still be arriving into Philly early evening local time.

Can your daughter not rent a nice big car for the day?

All being well your journey from Southampton to Heathrow should take an hour and a half (barring traffic snafus) You need to be there 2 hrs prior to your flight. So, if you do the self assist and leave the ship at 0730 or thereabouts you should be fine...:)

She's going on the cruise.

We are going to have to figure out the most cost-efficient way of getting three of us from her home near Wallingford to Southampton, then two of us from Southampton to Heathrow and her home again.

Anyone know how much parking is at the port in Southampton?

From the RCI website under Port of Southampton.......

Port of Southampton, England

PIER TERMINAL

101 Berth, City Cruise Terminal

Southampton SO14 3QN

Port of Southampton website

Parking Information:

Parking at the Port of Southampton can be arranged in advance only by calling locally at +44 870-085-6030. There is very limited space available for cars not holding an advance reservation. For directions to the “Long Stay” parking facility, follow the above directions, however enter the Southampton Docks through Dock Gate 8.

From the RCI website under Port of Southampton.......

Port of Southampton, England

PIER TERMINAL

101 Berth, City Cruise Terminal

Southampton SO14 3QN

Port of Southampton website

Parking Information:

Parking at the Port of Southampton can be arranged in advance only by calling locally at +44 870-085-6030 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************+44 870-085-6030******end_of_the_skype_highlighting. There is very limited space available for cars not holding an advance reservation. For directions to the “Long Stay” parking facility, follow the above directions, however enter the Southampton Docks through Dock Gate 8.

Thanks, Patti.

She now insists that she can fit all three of us and our luggage into the Mini.

One in the boot, two in the backseat, carryons in our laps.

Should be interesting................ :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Thanks, Patti.

She now insists that she can fit all three of us and our luggage into the Mini.

One in the boot, two in the backseat, carryons in our laps.

Should be interesting................ :rolleyes: :eek: :D

YIKES....:eek::eek:

I drive a Mini and that sounds MORE than interesting!!!!!

That is categorically not the case.

LHR airport is some 70 odd miles from Southampton cruise port and I can assure you any pricing policy by the airlines is totally inconsequential to cruises docking in Southampton.

To correct Merion Mum.

On transatlantic flights you need to be there 3 hours (not two hours) to departure.

The M3 road which goes to London/LHR from Southampton is usually free flowing and 75-90 minutes is the norm, however it can often take as much as 3 hours. Consequently, needing to prepare for worst-case scenario, leaving the ship at 8 to 830, with a 2/3 hour journey, and a check-in requirement of 3 hours makes the lunchtime flight a no-go.

Assume you have had a great holiday, the last thing you need is stress at the end, especially as it is avoidable stress so go for the later flight.

You're going to be in the UK!!! Awesome :D

So, totally agree that 3 hours is the recomended time needed to go through check in and security at LHR. We all know it can be done quicker but if there's any sort of backlog you're in trouble. If you're flying Business with BA you get through security lines quicker as they have dedicated channels otherwise you have to do the up and down thing quite a bit.... all depends on the time of year of course. Terminal 5 with BA is wonderful...shopping is fabulous.... Terminal 3 with Virgin is horrendous.

We are cruising on the Independence next April. The cruise ends on a Wednesday, the 27th.

As I am looking at flights home out of Heathrow, I am unsure about the timing.

So, to anyone who lives in the area, or who has done this RECENTLY:

What is the earliest flight you would book out of Heathrow, knowing about disembarkation times, travel times, check-in times, security line times, and customs & immigration times?

(I searched for about an hour for any old threads about this, but none seemed to answer my question)

Ideally, I would take one more day and return home the next day, but I'm supposed to be in class on the 28th! :eek:

Thanks in advance for any experience-based advice.

Earliest from LHR; 1pm. Likewise from LGW. Remember you disembark in one city (Southampton) and fly from another (London) some 100+km away

Archived