"Shuttle" from Airport to Waikiki

thecruiser85

This could have been on a prior post, but I dont remember seeing or reading it, so I thought I would put it out there. I booked a "shuttle" with Roberts from the airport to Waikiki hotel (marriott). I wanted to mention to everyone that it isn't actually what I thought of as a shuttle. When I think of a shuttle I think of a 10-12 passenger van (my ignorance, obviously). The "shuttle" we were on was a greyhound size bus and the ride was LONG. Had I known that I would have let go of the extra $25-$30 for a cab. After a 12 hour flight (actually, that includes one stop, 1.5 hour layover)...riding in a greyhound type bus for another 1.5 hours was a bit much. No complaints about Roberts, but just not what I expected.

This could have been on a prior post, but I dont remember seeing or reading it, so I thought I would put it out there. I booked a "shuttle" with Roberts from the airport to Waikiki hotel (marriott). I wanted to mention to everyone that it isn't actually what I thought of as a shuttle. When I think of a shuttle I think of a 10-12 passenger van (my ignorance, obviously). The "shuttle" we were on was a greyhound size bus and the ride was LONG. Had I known that I would have let go of the extra $25-$30 for a cab. After a 12 hour flight (actually, that includes one stop, 1.5 hour layover)...riding in a greyhound type bus for another 1.5 hours was a bit much. No complaints about Roberts, but just not what I expected.

Sorry you had to experience that. We stayed at the HHV last time and we were the first stop , so it wasn't that bad. We are staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach this trip and I'm wondering how long it will take with Roberts? We might consider other transportation.

I think the closer the hotel is to Diond head the longer the drive. I don't remember where the Outrigger is, but you may want to check it out. If I had to do over again I wouldnt do the shuttle. We were at the end of the line.

Thanks for the tip!

Your experience is why I always recommend other choices. Some people do not mind waiting for a bus to load and make stops but I am not one of them. Last year we used Hawaii Super Transit (800-841-2928) for some of our guests. They were always at the airport or hotel when they said they would be, it is a large van and it is $6.95 per person. Our other choice if more than one person was Xpress Limo Shuttle, 808-551-5578. They were also always reliable. I think I have read where some recommend VIP. Cherie

We have always used VIP and they have a shuttle van but we still stopped at other hotels along the way and like you we stayed at the Mariott which is on the far end of Waikiki. With a smaller group it takes less time to unload at each hotel and that is why we prefer the vans over buses..

I just checked out Hawaii Super Transit, and their price now is $9pp one way to Waikiki hotels, or $16pp round trip. I guess prices go up each year! I also read a disturbing review from 2 passengers who said their driver hardly spoke English, and spent almost an hour driving around the airport looking for additional passengers to fill up the van. We would love to avoid the "Greyhound bus" delays,but I wonder if the shuttle van is always better! I wonder if the vans will leave the airport if they don't have a "full load".

I just checked out Hawaii Super Transit, and their price now is $9pp one way to Waikiki hotels, or $16pp round trip. I guess prices go up each year! I also read a disturbing review from 2 passengers who said their driver hardly spoke English, and spent almost an hour driving around the airport looking for additional passengers to fill up the van. We would love to avoid the "Greyhound bus" delays,but I wonder if the shuttle van is always better! I wonder if the vans will leave the airport if they don't have a "full load".

VIP left with only 6 people in the van. They knew who had reservations and when the planes landed. There was no wait for walk-ons. We sat for only about 5 minutes after we got on until another couple got on, then we took off.

Thanks for that information thecruiser85, I think you just made up my mind about using Roberts for our shuttle from the airport to the Marriott. We will also have been traveling for over 12 hours and the last thing I'll want to do is sit for another 1.5 hours. :rolleyes:

Now I just need to convince the rest of my travel mates to take a different shuttle.

I been reading about taxi services charging a flate rate of $30-35 for (1-4) people. Are there plenty of taxis waiting to pick people up at the airport without a ressie? Also, anyone recommend a good speedy service?

We will be leaving a Waikiki hotel on Sunday, so will need to decide on transport. I am interested in all of your suggestions. I do not want to spend extra time having to transport form the hotel to the airport on a long shuttle ride. Our travel companions will be leaving from the ship on Saturday, so they will probably use Robert's.

I have bookmarked earlier a link to Hawaii23 Transportation. Their prices seem fair - $23 for up to 3 adults. Would they be a good alternative to a shuttle?

http://hawaii23.com/schedule

I been reading about taxi services charging a flate rate of $30-35 for (1-4) people. Are there plenty of taxis waiting to pick people up at the airport without a ressie? Also, anyone recommend a good speedy service?

We travel to Hawaii a lot and, depending on circumstances, use either a walk-up taxi or flat rate taxi. We don't like the large shuttle buses. There are always taxis available and if you have a slightly larger party (say 5 people), the dispatcher will call up a limo taxi to accommodate you.

The flat rate taxis are a good deal especially if you're arriving at peak traffic times. You book ahead, then call them when you get to baggage claim. Because of airport regulations, they wait in a holding area and can only come to curbside after you arrive. We've used A8 Taxi Shuttle, but there are other good ones out there.

We travel to Hawaii a lot and, depending on circumstances, use either a walk-up taxi or flat rate taxi. We don't like the large shuttle buses. There are always taxis available and if you have a slightly larger party (say 5 people), the dispatcher will call up a limo taxi to accommodate you.

The flat rate taxis are a good deal especially if you're arriving at peak traffic times. You book ahead, then call them when you get to baggage claim. Because of airport regulations, they wait in a holding area and can only come to curbside after you arrive. We've used A8 Taxi Shuttle, but there are other good ones out there.

Thank you ell52 on the great info! :)

I have bookmarked earlier a link to Hawaii23 Transportation. Their prices seem fair - $23 for up to 3 adults. Would they be a good alternative to a shuttle?

http://hawaii23.com/schedule

Aloha! Yes, we used Hawaii23 Transportation for our Oct. trip. They are very courteous and professional and I would recommend them highly. When we scheduled them for transportation, he told me he would keep track of the flight, but to call when we landed. When we called, he was already there waiting for us. It was 23 for two adults and two kids 15 and 12. We used their service other times during our stay and then for our departure from HHV, too. On our departure pick up, he did ask if it would be okay to share our ride with a solo traveler and he said we could share the price of transportation, too. If you send them an email, they will get back in touch within a day. Yes, it was nice to have a direct shuttle without any stops to our hotel. We flew from KY and it was midnight our time when we arrived. We were exhausted and would not have enjoyed stopping. We found out that the owner of Hawaii23 actually went to high school in KY, just an hour from our home. It was like we had a piece of home right there with us! He gave us helpful information about the city and our trip, too. Again, I would recommend their service.

Aloha! Yes, we used Hawaii23 Transportation for our Oct. trip. They are very courteous and professional and I would recommend them highly. When we scheduled them for transportation, he told me he would keep track of the flight, but to call when we landed. When we called, he was already there waiting for us. It was 23 for two adults and two kids 15 and 12. We used their service other times during our stay and then for our departure from HHV, too. On our departure pick up, he did ask if it would be okay to share our ride with a solo traveler and he said we could share the price of transportation, too. If you send them an email, they will get back in touch within a day. Yes, it was nice to have a direct shuttle without any stops to our hotel. We flew from KY and it was midnight our time when we arrived. We were exhausted and would not have enjoyed stopping. We found out that the owner of Hawaii23 actually went to high school in KY, just an hour from our home. It was like we had a piece of home right there with us! He gave us helpful information about the city and our trip, too. Again, I would recommend their service.

Thank you. Good to know. We will be renting a car for the pre-cruise portion of our trip, but will need a shuttle for the post cruise portion (Waikiki hotel to the airport). I will give them a call. I don't want to be stressing about missing our flight with an extra long shuttle ride at the end of our vacation.

I am so greatful that this post indicated Roberts as using the large buses and how long it could take to reach the far end of Waikiki. I now know Roberts is not for us as we will be at the far end and after a 13 hr flight we will not be wanting to waste time reaching our hotel. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Archived