Glacier Landing options, help please

Charlestfl

I've done both, many times, and can not choose one over the other.

As only a suggestion- you aren't going until next year. It may be possible to aquire funds in the meantime- skip gifts at holidays/birthdays?? Eat out less. A way it can pile up is to "pay yourself" at the time of savings. Put what would have been spent in an account. If an option and asked- tell family members about the vacation "fund". This is ONLY a suggestion. :) No flames please.

That is a good idea just wondered if doing both would be worth the $ or would I be better off doing something else?

Suggestion for Denali?. We are booked on Tundra wilderness tour and have a half day before and half day after.

Thanks

I'm curious about this myself. We are planning to do a glacier trek and a flightseeing of the summit of Mckinley.

Trying to decide between doing a helicopter flight with glacier landing out of Skagway or a airplane flight to Mt. McKinley with glacier landing. Any thoughts, opinions or sugesstions would be appreciated.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard of the glacier landing on Mt. McKinley, is it better than the trek w/ northstar in Juneau? How far to Mt. Mckinley from anchorage?

I've never heard of the glacier landing on Mt. McKinley, is it better than the trek w/ northstar in Juneau? How far to Mt. Mckinley from anchorage?

These are ski planes out of Talkeetna, 2 hours from Anchorage. This type of landing is all snow. Best to think of it as the ski plane experience, as the "glacier walking about" aren't the forte for some, especially if you have any snow exposure where you live.

I find these flights not my preference, and always will opt for summit flights over a "McKinley" glacier landing.

As I have posted before, IF you want a glacier trekking option, then you either need to look at Matanuska or Exit.

From Denali ERA, had glacier landing helicopter flights. These are similar to all the other, glacier landings, with the 30-45 min walk abouts.

These are the two options I was looking at (Denali)

McKinley Glacier Landing Flightseeing Tour by Airplane

Land on a glacier on Mt. McKinley and experience the Ice Age! Your Flight seeing tour includes views of both the North and South sides of Mt. McKinley, including the Wickersham Wall and the Don Sheldon Amphitheater. You will fly past steep walls of rock and ice, with azure-blue glacier melt-ponds, blue ice, and glacier moraines below. Experience the thrill of landing on one of Mt. McKinley's glaciers where you can throw snowballs, take pictures, and enjoy the wilderness beauty and vastness of Denali National Park. This flight lands on Mt. McKinley and includes a fully-narrated tour. All guests have a window seat and interactive headsets.

Or

McKinley Quest Flightseeing by Airplane

For over 35 years Denali Air has offered views of Denali National Park that are simply unimaginable from the ground. Each trip around the mountain originates from our private airstrip in the scenic Yanert valley and parallels the Alaska Range all the way to Mt. McKinley. This flight provides up-close views of the rugged glacial beauty of the Alaska Range and Denali National Park. Flexible routing allows your pilot to provide the best views (over 90% of passengers see Mt. McKinley) even on days when the mountain is not visible from the road. Each tour is fully narrated through individual headphones and all seats are window seats.

You need to look at the flight times as well. As I posted, for me, the glacier landing, is something to do, based on the unique aircraft. There isn't much more than walking about snow, when you land. You are not on the ice, and may not be within range to walk to any either.

Your other listed flight is a flight seeing view around the range, but not a summit flight, which goes over the top of McKinley.

If there is a map, take a look at it, this will clear up the routing and allow you to compare.

Most of the Talkeetna vendors have routing maps, perhaps take a look at those.

If you do a summitt flight from Talkeetna will they pick you up from Delali/

Any vendor you reccommend?

Thanks

If you're staying at Denali National Park then that's about 2 hours away by car, so no, the vendors will not come and get you.

Susan in Anchorage :)

If you do a summitt flight from Talkeetna will they pick you up from Delali/

Any vendor you reccommend?

Thanks

There are vendors who fly out of the Denali airstrip. I've gone with Talkeetna Aero the most. Contact them directly for their flight schedules.

Ok, looked at Talkeetna Aero and here is the description of their flight. I do not see the flight route. Which one???

McKinley Summit Tour

This is the ultimate flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley*! Your multi-engine,

oxygen-equipped aircraft will climb to

nearly 21,000 feet for a dramatic view

of Denali’s summit, the surrounding

peaks and glaciers, and an amazing

view of Denali National Park. Feel the

excitement only a few mountaineers

have experienced: the view from the

top of North America’s highest peak!

Includes complete north and south side

tour of McKinley.

http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/mckinley-summit-tour.htm

And here is the Denali Air flight description with map

For over 35 years Denali Air has offered views of Denali National Park that are simply unimaginable from the ground. Each trip around the mountain originates from our private airstrip in the scenic Yanert valley and parallels the Alaska Range all the way to Mt. McKinley. This flight provides up-close views of the rugged glacial beauty of the Alaska Range and Denali National Park. Flexible routing allows your pilot to provide the best views (over 90% of passengers see Mt. McKinley) even on days when the mountain is not visible from the road. Each tour is fully narrated through individual headphones and all seats are window seats. http://www.denaliair.com/Tours.htm

Ok, looked at Talkeetna Aero and here is the description of their flight. I do not see the flight route. Which one???

McKinley Summit Tour

This is the ultimate flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley*! Your multi-engine,

oxygen-equipped aircraft will climb to

nearly 21,000 feet for a dramatic view

of Denali’s summit, the surrounding

peaks and glaciers, and an amazing

view of Denali National Park. Feel the

excitement only a few mountaineers

have experienced: the view from the

top of North America’s highest peak!

Includes complete north and south side

tour of McKinley.

http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/mckinley-summit-tour.htm

And here is the Denali Air flight description with map

For over 35 years Denali Air has offered views of Denali National Park that are simply unimaginable from the ground. Each trip around the mountain originates from our private airstrip in the scenic Yanert valley and parallels the Alaska Range all the way to Mt. McKinley. This flight provides up-close views of the rugged glacial beauty of the Alaska Range and Denali National Park. Flexible routing allows your pilot to provide the best views (over 90% of passengers see Mt. McKinley) even on days when the mountain is not visible from the road. Each tour is fully narrated through individual headphones and all seats are window seats. http://www.denaliair.com/Tours.htm

These are very descriptive. The first is a summit flight, going OVER McKinley, you will require O2 usage.

The second is a "view" trip, and can have impaired viewing, since it doesn't get as high or go over McKinley. And "seeing" McKinley covers a lot of various viewing.

I've never heard of the glacier landing on Mt. McKinley, is it better than the trek w/ northstar in Juneau?

They are completely different beasts. The northstar trek is much more active. This is mostly a flightseeing ride, with an opportunity to land and get out of the plane for a little while. We flew with K2 out of Talkeetna. I had debated the summit flight vs. the landing flight, but I was not disapointed with our choice.

Speaking as someone from a tropical climate, I really enjoyed the landing on the McKinley snow. It's so remote, the only sound you will hear is the occasional snow cascade (think mini-avalanche) in the distance. It's extremely peaceful and serene out there. We had a perfectly clear day and took lots of pictures (both in the air and on the snow).

Archived