Lens and filter choice for D5000

ion-man

Hi all, being a relative newbie to DSLR cameras I've been trying to devour as much as I can and to obtain the accessories needed to enhance my photos.

I am therefore soliciting advice regarding lens choice and polarizing filter options re: brands, coating etc. I currently have 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, but seriously considering a 70-300mm. In my search (adorama etc) I see some pricing around $160, then another version around $500. Is it because of lack of VR in the cheaper option? Is it that simple or something else I am missing?

Regarding filters, I know some of you don't like them, but I keep reading that at the very least I should have a polarizing filter. Whats a good brand...Hoya, B+W, Tiffen? I see different pricing as can be expected, so whats a good option?

Thanks for any feedback.

The 70-300 VR lense is a fine lense, great on FX equally good on DX.

If you need more reach and if you plan to stay with a DX like D5000, D3100, D7000, and D400 then the new 55-300 is another choice, brand new lense specific for DX. Another slighty cheaper option is the new tamron 70-300 VC.

If you are going on a trip where you need considerable more reach it is worth getting another lense. IMHO you have a great kit already. The 18-55 and 55-200 are such value and bang for buck kits. If I was to spend given your kit I'd get a 35 1.8 nikkor fprime or low light, a flash, SB400/SB600.

As to filters it can make your head spin. A polarizer is useful, I have two of them ( 62 and 77 ) and funny or sad last trip to alaska was too busy and having too much fun shooting that I never put them on. Looking at my pictures got no complaints so for me its not anse must have. Flash, fast prime lens, monopod/tripod, extra memory, extra battery are more important.

Happy shooting

Hi all, being a relative newbie to DSLR cameras I've been trying to devour as much as I can and to obtain the accessories needed to enhance my photos.

I am therefore soliciting advice regarding lens choice and polarizing filter options re: brands, coating etc. I currently have 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, but seriously considering a 70-300mm. In my search (adorama etc) I see some pricing around $160, then another version around $500. Is it because of lack of VR in the cheaper option? Is it that simple or something else I am missing?

Regarding filters, I know some of you don't like them, but I keep reading that at the very least I should have a polarizing filter. Whats a good brand...Hoya, B+W, Tiffen? I see different pricing as can be expected, so whats a good option?

Thanks for any feedback.

Thanks for the lens information Chipmaster, greatly appreciated,espeacially the 35mm prime as I forgot to ask about that aspect. I had a cheap polarizer (polaroid) but misplaced it so since I have to replace, I want to get something better.

On a side note, I find I like images of insects, etc. so wondering if the Tamron 90 mm I've read about is something I can live without.

Man, I thought electronics gear made me up-grade/accessory prone, didn't realize photography would turn out the same. LOL!

If one can't afford the 105 2.8 micro nikkor the tamron gets great review for value.

Photography is like an iceberg, the body is only the "tip" of it! :D

Thanks for the lens information Chipmaster, greatly appreciated,espeacially the 35mm prime as I forgot to ask about that aspect. I had a cheap polarizer (polaroid) but misplaced it so since I have to replace, I want to get something better.

On a side note, I find I like images of insects, etc. so wondering if the Tamron 90 mm I've read about is something I can live without.

Man, I thought electronics gear made me up-grade/accessory prone, didn't realize photography would turn out the same. LOL!

LOL, nice analogy! As for the 105mm 2.8 lens...don't see that happening anytime soon, maybe the 90mm Tammy might be more feasible. Oh, thanks for pointing out the DX distinction of the lenses, hadn't noticed. So I guess my 'kit' will eventually include the 18-55mm, 55-200mm, possible 55-300mm, 35 mm prime, and the 90mm. Filters: haze, neutral density, polarizer and UV. That about cover it?

I was wondering if the MODS ever thought of a 'technical question' subforum. I have tons of questions that I'm sure other newbies have relating to the technical aspects of photos and not sure where to ask since this forum doesn't have a 'Private Mail' function. For example, I plan to go to an aquarium with my daughter soon andwould like to take pics but it's not the ideal lighting situation so I am stumped as to what to do. How do you take photos in that environment where its dark, yet dimly illiminated by a source that is bounded by glass? Please help. If I need to start a new thread please let know.

There are many forums where gearheads, pro's amateurs, and novice can interact. Tread with care as its a pretty wild group, IE have a thick skin :D

My favorites are dpreview, nikoncafe and fredmiranda

LOL, nice analogy! As for the 105mm 2.8 lens...don't see that happening anytime soon, maybe the 90mm Tammy might be more feasible. Oh, thanks for pointing out the DX distinction of the lenses, hadn't noticed. So I guess my 'kit' will eventually include the 18-55mm, 55-200mm, possible 55-300mm, 35 mm prime, and the 90mm. Filters: haze, neutral density, polarizer and UV. That about cover it?

I was wondering if the MODS ever thought of a 'technical question' subforum. I have tons of questions that I'm sure other newbies have relating to the technical aspects of photos and not sure where to ask since this forum doesn't have a 'Private Mail' function. For example, I plan to go to an aquarium with my daughter soon andwould like to take pics but it's not the ideal lighting situation so I am stumped as to what to do. How do you take photos in that environment where its dark, yet dimly illiminated by a source that is bounded by glass? Please help. If I need to start a new thread please let know.

How do you take photos in that environment where its dark, yet dimly illiminated by a source that is bounded by glass? Please help. If I need to start a new thread please let know.

Bump the ISO up.

Also, use the flash, but put the lens right up against the glass.

There are many forums where gearheads, pro's amateurs, and novice can interact. Tread with care as its a pretty wild group, IE have a thick skin :D

Have you used nikonians.com?

Never heard of nikoncafe, but gonna check it out.

Bump the ISO up.

Also, use the flash, but put the lens right up against the glass.

Makes perfect sense, I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for any feedback.

I saw this lens in Pop Photography and they rated it as a Steal. It fits more solidly in your hand, where as the 55-200mm that is in the nikon kit feels too light and flimsy.

So I guess my 'kit' will eventually include the 18-55mm, 55-200mm, possible 55-300mm, 35 mm prime, and the 90mm. Filters: haze, neutral density, polarizer and UV. That about cover it?

There's not a point to having two lenses that cover the same focal distance. If you get a 55-300, sell the 55-200. If I were in your shoes, I'd sell both of those lenses and get a Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8, and then add a Nikon 70-300. From there, I would add the 35 1.8, a good wide angle like a 10-20, and probably the SB400. You'll have everything covered.

If you get filters, get the filter that will fit on your largest lens, then buy step-up rings, that way you can re-use the same filters on all your smaller lenses. If you get a polarizer, get multi-coated...huge difference in that and non-coated. A graduated ND filter of about 2 stops is also good to have. UV filters are just great lens protection.

There's not a point to having two lenses that cover the same focal distance. If you get a 55-300, sell the 55-200. If I were in your shoes, I'd sell both of those lenses and get a Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8, and then add a Nikon 70-300. From there, I would add the 35 1.8, a good wide angle like a 10-20, and probably the SB400. You'll have everything covered.

If you get filters, get the filter that will fit on your largest lens, then buy step-up rings, that way you can re-use the same filters on all your smaller lenses. If you get a polarizer, get multi-coated...huge difference in that and non-coated. A graduated ND filter of about 2 stops is also good to have. UV filters are just great lens protection.

If only I had read your post sooner!! I just received ND filter and CPL to fit my original lenses, 52mm. Oh well, live and learn, at least I can do something about your other suggestions. At least the CPL is multi-coated.

My plan is to try to sell the 2 lenses it came with,hopefully I can get a reasonably price. I had ruled out the Nikkor 70-300 since it wasn't AF but I guess I could reconsider. The 35mm f/1.8 I plan to buy this week, along with the SB400/600, so thanks for the response, much appreciated.

My plan is to try to sell the 2 lenses it came with,hopefully I can get a reasonably price. I had ruled out the Nikkor 70-300 since it wasn't AF but I guess I could reconsider. The 35mm f/1.8 I plan to buy this week, along with the SB400/600, so thanks for the response, much appreciated.

If you don't have the change, keep the 55-200 VR. It's an upgrade to that 70-300 G lens.

Found what I considered to be a good deal over the weekend on the 70-300mm G lens so jumped on it. At the very least I can try it out and return it if it really is crappy. For the $114 price, not a huge gamble.

IMHO, I do not think that the 70 - 300 adds enough reach to make it worth carrying it. If it were me, I would go to the other end and get a superwide lens such as an 10-18.

You can always crop your pictures to make it appear that you shot with a longer telephoto. In many instances, you can not step any further back than a wall or cliff edge allows you.

DON

IMHO, I do not think that the 70 - 300 adds enough reach to make it worth carrying it. If it were me, I would go to the other end and get a superwide lens such as an 10-18.

DON

For right now, the superwide lenses are not an option,maybe when I get better at this and deem it worth the expense. FWIW, I find Astrophotography quite intriguing so I figure since I'd have to use the lens in manual mode anyway, might as well try this lens.

you can not step any further back than a wall or cliff edge allows you.DON

LMAO, for my sake, I'd hope not. LOL. I'll try not to put this to the test.

Archived