Eurodam vs. Nieuw Amsterdam

ViolaSwamp

I am in research mode for booking our next cruise - February 2012, for our 10th anniversary.

It will be me, DH, and DD - we will be 31, 46, and 8 by that time.

Have several options at this time, one of which being Carnival Pride out of Baltimore - the major advantage there being avoiding the airlines!!

However, I loved the Eastern Caribbean itinerary we sailed on HAL Maasdam last year. So... for the week we're looking at, it appears that both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are sailing from FLL on Eastern Caribbean itineraries that week (one leaves Saturday, one leaves Sunday - the only other difference I see is that one visits the USVI and the other visits St. Maarten).

Can someone help me to make a decision between Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam? Highs and lows of each? Any tips on what you would select if in my shoes?

Pricing is comparable between the two, if not identical.

Thanks!

I'd vote for the Nieuw A. There were several decor choices on the Eurodam that just didn't hit me the right way, but I thought the N.A. was a gorgeous ship, and had none of the flaws in construction or operation that I expected to find on a new ship. The only thing I'd "fix" is the bright red color used in the MDR, but my DW liked it.

I am in research mode for booking our next cruise - February 2012, for our 10th anniversary.

It will be me, DH, and DD - we will be 31, 46, and 8 by that time.

Have several options at this time, one of which being Carnival Pride out of Baltimore - the major advantage there being avoiding the airlines!!

Thanks!

As for the Pride, remember it is mid winter and the water could be rough leaving from Baltimore.

I would prefer St. Maarten to St. Thomas every time.

But, if I were expecting to return to work on Monday following the cruise, I would want to disembark on Saturday rather than Sunday. That extra day comes in handy.

Between the two, I'd select the newer ship only because it appears to have nicer decor.

But if you liked Maasdam, you might want to consider another itinerary on one of the older HAL ships which won't be nearly as crowded as either Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

While the NA and Euro both hold more passengers than the smaller ships, never did it seem crowded when I was on board for the 10/6 sailing. I honestly can say I never had to wait in a line for anything really, even the lido. Maybe 1 or 2 people, but never a "line" such as it were. So I'm not even sure that the size of the ship population even needs to come into play.

I loved the NA and would sail her again in a heartbeat, maybe it's because I'm from the NYC area, so it was like home :-) The MDR decor doesn't follow suit for the rest of the ship though, that's for sure. I didn't mind the color at all, found it nice, but it was more asian than NYC.

Thanks for all the responses!

That's a good point about the Sat vs Sun thing, Ruth!

Brian - we liked the Maasdam itself okay, but would prefer a bigger ship. I just got off of CCL Liberty and the size was perfect. It was large but I never felt crowded, nor did I wait in line for anything.

We LOVED the Maasdam's Eastern itinerary, however, and thought HAL was decent overall, hence why these two ships are toward the top of contention for our 10th anniversary trip. :D

But if you want to fly down a day early and not have to take an additional vacation day, a Sunday departure works well. ;)

They are both good itineraries, so you can't go wrong. The Carnival Pride and both the N.A. and Eurodam have the same basic hull (along with a bunch of Costa ships and the two new Cunarders), Carnival's space ratio is less which is cruise speak for holds more people. Saying that, I've had good experiences on that class of Carnival ship.

I loved the NA and would sail her again in a heartbeat, maybe it's because I'm from the NYC area, so it was like home :-) The MDR decor doesn't follow suit for the rest of the ship though, that's for sure. I didn't mind the color at all, found it nice, but it was more asian than NYC.

Chinatown? LOL

I'll be doing a variation on a back-to-back theme, sailing on Eurodam 12/26 - 1/2, then transferring to Nieuw Amsterdam 1/2 - 1/9 -- both R/T Fort Lauderdale. Do you think I will recognize a difference between the 2 ships? Or will I think I have stayed on Eurodam?

I'll be doing a variation on a back-to-back theme, sailing on Eurodam 12/26 - 1/2, then transferring to Nieuw Amsterdam 1/2 - 1/9 -- both R/T Fort Lauderdale. Do you think I will recognize a difference between the 2 ships? Or will I think I have stayed on Eurodam?
You'll see a difference ... and IMO, an improvement on the N.A. ! :)

The Carnival Pride and both the N.A. and Eurodam have the same basic hull ...

...Carnival's space ratio is less which is cruise speak for holds more people.

Yes, they share the same basic hull structure and similar general arrangements...

...however, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam actually have a slightly lower space to passenger ratio than Carnival Spirit Class vessels (based on double occupancy)

Spirit Class:

88,500 Gross Tons / 2,124 passengers = 41.67 Gross Tons/passenger

Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam:

86,700 Gross Tons / 2,104 passengers = 41.20 Gross Tons/passenger

(1 Gross Ton is equal to a volume of 100 cubic feet)

When you also take into account that enclosed spaces such as the Navigation bridge, engine rooms, crew and staff quarters, machinery spaces, kitchens, fuel & water tanks and such roughly take up the same amount of space on both ships - one could reasonably argue that the usable space per passenger ratio is even lower on the new HAL ships than on the Spirit Class than these numbers would suggest.

We just did Carnival Pride out of Baltimore for the same reason, that we wouldn't have to fly. Two days into the sailing we looked at each other and said "It is time to go back to HAL." If you are considering the Pride vs any HAL sailing take the HAL sailing!! :) :)

I wrote a review of our Pride sailing that you can read in the cruise reviews section...

Yes, they share the same basic hull structure and similar general arrangements...

...however, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam actually have a slightly lower space to passenger ratio than Carnival Spirit Class vessels (based on double occupancy)

Spirit Class:

88,500 Gross Tons / 2,124 passengers = 41.67 Gross Tons/passenger

Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam:

86,700 Gross Tons / 2,104 passengers = 41.20 Gross Tons/passenger

(1 Gross Ton is equal to a volume of 100 cubic feet)

When you also take into account that enclosed spaces such as the Navigation bridge, engine rooms, crew and staff quarters, machinery spaces, kitchens, fuel & water tanks and such roughly take up the same amount of space on both ships - one could reasonably argue that the usable space per passenger ratio is even lower on the new HAL ships than on the Spirit Class than these numbers would suggest.

I saw those numbers, but when you add in the third and fourths the newer HAL ships come out slightly better at 32.4 to 32.0. Carnival will fill many more third and fourths than HAL.

I saw those numbers, but when you add in the third and fourths the newer HAL ships come out slightly better at 32.4 to 32.0. Carnival will fill many more third and fourths than HAL.

The cruise industry does not include 3rd and 4th berths in a space ratio. This is standard practice and all cruise lines follow it. It is an assumption that all 1st and 2nd berths in a cabin will be filled, and this equates to 100% capacity. Anything over that capacity would be above 100%. There is no way of knowing how many 3rd and 4th berths will be filled on any given cruise.

Bottom line, as far as the cruise industry is concerned, the Spirit Class does have the higher space ratio.

On a side note, I have sailed on two Spirit Class ships and loved them. By far they are the best in the Carnival fleet and I much preferred their layout over HAL's Vista class. The Spirit Class feels much more open, has many more impressive multi-level spaces, and the pool areas are fantastic. There are two pools midship (one can be covered) and another pool aft. The Supper Club under the red glass dome by the funnel is an amazing space. I also like that there are two indoor promenades to stroll, one on each of the public room decks. The dining room on the CARNIVAL PRIDE is beautiful, and by far the most classy on any Carnival ship. The theme is Normandie, from the beautiful French Liner NORMANDIE.

Ernie

On a side note, I have sailed on two Spirit Class ships and loved them. By far they are the best in the Carnival fleet and I much preferred their layout over HAL's Vista class. The Spirit Class feels much more open, has many more impressive multi-level spaces, and the pool areas are fantastic. There are two pools midship (one can be covered) and another pool aft. The Supper Club under the red glass dome by the funnel is an amazing space. I also like that there are two indoor promenades to stroll, one on each of the public room decks. The dining room on the CARNIVAL PRIDE is beautiful, and by far the most classy on any Carnival ship. The theme is Normandie, from the beautiful French Liner NORMANDIE.

Ernie

I agree with you Ernie; I've sailed on three of the four Spirit class ships, some multiple times, and I've really enjoyed each one.

Archived