Has anyone had rumrunners taken out of checked bags?

QVickiB

Before anyone gets upset that I'm asking yet another rumrunner question, when the board is full of success stories, please note, I'm asking for any FAILURE stories.

Anyone?

THANKS!!!!

I think there's a certain reluctance to post stories of NOT getting their illicit booze aboard. Few people would want to post "I spent $20 on a rum runner, filled it up with $30 dollars of Crown Royal and lost it all"...

Personally I'm very happy with BV delivered booze to the cabin,very convenient, and one can be assured it will be there.

Just saying...

So, from the conversation, it sounds like they aren't taking out sealed bottles just rumrunners. Or, am I reading this thread wrong. Last year we took an unopened bottle of vodka with no problem. But, in the other suitcase we had a pair of pliers which they called us to the naughty room for and took away. They said "no household tools are allowed." Must admit it provided a week of laughs.

Libtrek

P.S. In case you're wondering, DH took pliers to open balcony doors in case the room stewart wouldn't open the six adjoining rooms.

They are taking bottles also. Those they return on the last night. The rum runners they throw away.

That is a good ?(unlocked vs locked baggage). I would imagine if security saw other shapes that looked like bottles security may open them and find the rum runners. If no other liquids like mouthwash bottles were seen under X-ray, why would they be opened?. I would think security needs a reason to open baggage. Does that make sense.

Gary

I think the same way you do. After an x-ray, they have no reason to open the luggage.( Except rum runners I guess.) But I also heard and John Heald confirmed it that some porters are now doing the checking of luggage.

I don't smuggle, but my luggage is going locked. Call me to any room you want, but I will be there to watch you go through my luggage.

I think the same way you do. After an x-ray, they have no reason to open the luggage.( Except rum runners I guess.) But I also heard and John Heald confirmed it that some porters are now doing the checking of luggage.

I don't smuggle, but my luggage is going locked. Call me to any room you want, but I will be there to watch you go through my luggage.

No you won't get to watch. they will simply remove the locks and go through your luggage and leave a note. If they do not have the correct master key locks are cut off. Security has the authority to search anything and everything that is taken on the ship.

I have no problem with a trained security personnel going through my luggage but if Carnival is allowing porters to check luggage that's concerning to me. A whole list of questions come to mind having someone who was hired to move luggage from point A to point B search luggage.

Vinnie

No you won't get to watch. they will simply remove the locks and go through your luggage and leave a note. If they do not have the correct master key locks are cut off. Security has the authority to search anything and everything that is taken on the ship.

That was a question I had, what if your bag is locked, do they call you down to unlock it, or just cut it off? I would think it would take way too much time to call people down instead of just cutting the lock off themselves.

I seriously doubt they would CUT OFF a lock from a luggage unless it was a safety issue (ie: not for smuggled alcohol). The TSA locks have a master key - we are talking about cruise ship security, not the TSA here. I doubt they have the key.

I see countless people stating they have been called down to the naughty room to unlock their luggage. All these people did not have their locks cut off as you say. I don't think you are correct on this one.

Not true. Carnival's FAQ says they will call you down to open any questionable luggage should you choose to lock it.

And I quote: "We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel."

About the rumrunners where did you put them in your luggage. Is there a better place to hide them. I feel really bad even trying to smuggle them on but im paying for my mom on this cruise and at 28 years old ive seemed to run out of money. It could be b/c I just bought a house! I know ill still buy some of carnivals drinks but anything to help with some of the cost would be nice.

When the baggage is looked through are the contents messed up or are they put back in the same order before the baggage was searched.?

Gary

Think about it Gary. Do you think they will refold, repack with the same care that you and I do?

Every time I've had a bag searched (eitehr by TSA or Port) my clothes were wadded up and jammed in. I'm thinking next time just to pack them that way. :)

You are thinking TSA not the port. No master keys, etc.

According to our agreed upon passenger contract, they pretty much have the right to do as they want.

For some strange reason, somehow four "nips" of Grey Goose somehow got mixed in with my toiletries, all in one suitcase. I have no idea how this happened. Must have been some elf put them in there. :o

They made it aboard... and went GREAT with the Lido lemonade... ;)

For some strange reason, somehow four "nips" of Grey Goose somehow got mixed in with my toiletries, all in one suitcase. I have no idea how this happened. Must have been some elf put them in there. :o

They made it aboard... and went GREAT with the Lido lemonade... ;)

I already foresee that elf doing some packing for me.

A couple of years ago on RCCL I did manage to get 21 nips of tequila AND a magic bullet (blender) onto a cruise. The bottles were spread out everywhere between checked and carrying. I figured they couldn't get them all. My cabin steward was very impressed!lol!

About the rumrunners where did you put them in your luggage. Is there a better place to hide them. I feel really bad even trying to smuggle them on but im paying for my mom on this cruise and at 28 years old ive seemed to run out of money. It could be b/c I just bought a house! I know ill still buy some of carnivals drinks but anything to help with some of the cost would be nice.

I put them inside my shoes in checked luggage. No problem so far. Smaller ones in cargo shorts.

TSA has the right to cut locks off. Not porters and security on a ship. They call you to open your luggage. Which is fine with me. At least I know my stuff will not come up missing! Well, unless the entire suitcase goes missing.:)

I believe it was Host Mach that told us that Carnival employs two people whos job it is to read cruise forums. Cruise Critic included. I strongly suggest you do not tell secrets on here that you don't want the cruiselines to know about.

And then there are those people that read here and go running to John's blog to tattletale. So keep your secrets, secret!

GRITSKRD--Oh my, I know how broke you are...I bought a condo (single income) and I still live paycheck to paycheck with little left over...My mother moved in with me three years ago and she is the only reason I can cruise, when she moves out, I go back to living on $50 or less in groceries a week (which is difficult to impossible!!!!)

Rum Runners--I bought a pack with 2-16oz and 2-8oz. I will see how they fit in my running shoes and if I can squeeze two 2/3 full rum runners in my shoes I will get em in that way, and if the 8oz fit better than those two and I'll find some of the cheap 4 for $2 bottles to put the rest of the rum in....

I thought the whole purpose of rum runners were that they were not supposed to be able to be detected in the xrays other than the cap?

Me too, at least that is what company that makes rum runners say but if luggage that contains rum runners is searched, at random, I suppose they can be found.

Gary

So they're not seeing the RR on the x-ray, just finding them via random searches? I never bought them and was always lucky to get on the ship with my smuggled booze, but I'm **thinking** of getting some RR for our May cruise. What are nips?? :confused:

Archived