Departure time change-when can we board?

travelmatron

We're on the first Westerdam cruise after the TA (November 12th). Our boarding time was recently changed from 5pm to 7pm. Our boarding passes were originally 1pm and are still 1pm. When will we really be able to get on the ship?

In my memory, which I no longer trust, boarding passes have been for 1pm, but we have actually boarded before noon. We have scheduled a shuttle to get us to the ship between 11:30 and noon with the plan of eating lunch on board. Will this later departure change the time we are allowed to board? I don't want to start off a cruise sitting in a waiting area for several hours if I can help it. On the other hand, once I'm on board my cruise has begun, and I don't want to postpone that at all!

We're on the first Westerdam cruise after the TA (November 12th). Our boarding time was recently changed from 5pm to 7pm. Our boarding passes were originally 1pm and are still 1pm. When will we really be able to get on the ship?

In my memory, which I no longer trust, boarding passes have been for 1pm, but we have actually boarded before noon. We have scheduled a shuttle to get us to the ship between 11:30 and noon with the plan of eating lunch on board. Will this later departure change the time we are allowed to board? I don't want to start off a cruise sitting in a waiting area for several hours if I can help it. On the other hand, once I'm on board my cruise has begun, and I don't want to postpone that at all!

Are you on the 11/19 to Aruba?

Depart time still states 5 pm.

If it was me I would not count on being able to board at 11:30..You may not even be able to board at 1:p.m. ...The departure time may have been changed due to a Coast Guard Inspection of the ship & an & Immigration Inspection of all the Crew members...Inspections such as this frequently take place when a ship first arrives in the U.S. after spending time in Europe...I don't believe that any one on this board can accurately pin point when you will be able to board the ship..Why don't you call HAL & ask them the reason for delayed departure....

Are you on the 11/19 to Aruba?

Depart time still states 5 pm.

The OP stated she was on the Nov. 12 departure..

Cheers....:)Betty

If it was me I would not count on being able to board at 11:30..You may not even be able to board at 1:p.m. ...The departure time may have been changed due to a Coast Guard Inspection of the ship & an & Immigration Inspection of all the Crew members...Inspections such as this frequently take place when a ship first arrives in the U.S. after spending time in Europe...I don't believe that any one on this board can accurately pin point when you will be able to board the ship..Why don't you call HAL & ask them the reason for delayed departure...

My bolding...There actually is a reason I haven't called HAL. I've read so much here on this board about the miss information given out by those answering the phones in Seattle that I had a higher confidence level in the response from other cruisers who had been in a similar situation. I may need to repost with my question phrased differently to see if someone who has been on the first cruise after a TA remembers their boarding time.

Are you sure it's your boarding time that's changed from 5 to 7pm or the ship's departure time?

There are so many variables - Nobody here is going to know for sure...

If you're still not certain, why not have your Travel Agent find out for you - After all, that's what they're for.

Are you sure it's your boarding time that's changed from 5 to 7pm or the ship's departure time?

If you're still not certain, why not have your Travel Agent find out for you - After all, that's what they're for.

OOPS...Good catch Brian..I never even noticed that one..

Cheers...Betty

It's the departure time, because we are experiencing the same thing on the Noordam on Nov. 3. Our TA suggests we wait till at least 3 pm to board.

Your TA is giving good advice. I agree that after a ship has been out of the US for an extended period, various US agencies are going to be all over that ship, and it's going to delay boarding/departure.

You're right of course I'm so glad you knew what I should have written instead of what actually came out!

It looks like we should be asking the hotel about a late check out.

Cheryl, I was wondering the same thing since our departure time changed to 7:00pm. I'm going to call our hotel and see if we can check out a little later. Also will give my TA a call and see what he says. I don't mind sailing later just don't want to miss the ship;). Glad you posted here, I'm sure there are others on our same cruise.:)

I've called my TA and she says to take the latest shuttle from the hotel that's available. I'll be interested in hearing if your TA says the same thing Pokeynose. While I think the subject of later departures is appropriate for this board, let's keep updating on our roll call.

For anyone sailing on the Westerdam the 12th of November, please you are welcome tour the roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1184125

Archived