Wine, wine, wine

azurewater

Is there any adjustment on the wine allotment for longer cruises? One bottle / person is good for say a 3-4 day cruise.

What about longer cruises? We are going on a 9 day cruise and one bottle will be gone as we enjoy our first lazy evening on our first aft balcony! (woo woo)

Yes? No?

None that I have seen. The goal is have you buy as much as possible on board at 3 times the retail sales prices per bottle.

That depends. While the more inexpensive bottles are definitely 3-4x retail, some of the bottles on the reserve list are 125-135% of retail. Though, I realize the market for the reserve list is much smaller and many fewer people are willing to spend that kind of money on a bottle.

Budget and value wines are marked up, as another poster mentioned, 3-4 times the usual retail price. The higher the price the markup drops considerably. So try to avoid the white Zinfandel and go for the Napa Valley C/S, etc., to get more bang for your buck. I work in the spirit world (wines, not ghosts!).

They often allow you to bring wine to your cabin from ports and not hold it. Just hard liquor.

I know with over 41,000 post you must know what you are talking about, BUT! Are you sure? :)

So I can board the ship in Galvseton as soon as they allow boarding, get off the ship 30 minutes later, jog to The Strand, buy a few more bottles of wine and then reboard the ship with my loot?

I know with over 41,000 post you must know what you are talking about, BUT! Are you sure? :)

So I can board the ship in Galvseton as soon as they allow boarding, get off the ship 30 minutes later, jog to The Strand, buy a few more bottles of wine and then reboard the ship with my loot?

I think he may have been talking about ports of call - not the embarkation port. It just depends on the location of the desk where they are collecting the alcohol, and the port. For example, my experience has been that security is a bit more on top of their game in ports like St. Thomas, where you can find some excellent deals on alcohol.

Fire means ports of call. This is why many of us smuggle.

When we took a cruise on Carnival almost 3 years ago it did say that one bottle per adult was allowed in carry-on at embarkation. I remember the family in front of us were pushing with their feet a case of wine and we brought 2 1.5 liter bottles of wine...can you bring the larger bottles or would that be taken away?

When we took a cruise on Carnival almost 3 years ago it did say that one bottle per adult was allowed in carry-on at embarkation. I remember the family in front of us were pushing with their feet a case of wine and we brought 2 1.5 liter bottles of wine...can you bring the larger bottles or would that be taken away?

When Davidson was CEO of Carnival, the wine policy was more lenient. Technically, its now 1 750ml bottle per person.

My first cruise in 2006, I walked on with 6 bottles and they didn't even blink an eye, but the official policy was "reasonable amount" then. Whether its directly related to new CEO or not..it changed by the time we took our cruise in 2007. Not sure when exactly Davidson left.

Archived