Scandinavia & Russia 11 days on Emerald Princess

RamRam

A group of 6-8 are considering Scandinavia & Russia 11 days Cruise on Emerald Princess in July 2011, touching Copenhagen, Oslo, St. Pertersburg etc. Those of you, who have done this cruise, can you recommend if we should go with an Interior State Room, or spend the extra money and go with Balcony.

thank you!

A group of 6-8 are considering Scandinavia & Russia 11 days Cruise on Emerald Princess in July 2011, touching Copenhagen, Oslo, St. Pertersburg etc. Those of you, who have done this cruise, can you recommend if we should go with an Interior State Room, or spend the extra money and go with Balcony. thank you!

There might also be the "compromise" option of a room with an outside window and spending the added money (or saved money versus a balcony) on shore tours, especially for super great St. Petersburg. With 6-8 people, a private/custom tour in Russia is much more enjoyable and time-efficient than most ship tours there. It is nice to have that outside view, but a balcony might not be as important as when touring in the Med or Carib.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi RamRam,

We are booked for the July 18, 2011 Princess Emerald cruise to Scandinavia and Russia. We booked an inside cabin to save money. I would rather spend my money on excursions. We had a balcony when we cruised to the Mediterranean, and it was nice, but we spent most of our time on the deck, not in our room. The only time we truly loved the balcony was late at night. Hope this helps!

Lady of the Canyon

'When you come home, the balcony is not the thing you are going to remember about the cruise, it is the impression of what you've seen on the way'.

Couldn't agree more. If you have enough energy to use and enjoy a balcony you haven't worked hard enough in the day as there's so much to see at every port. :)

Copenhagen

Tallin

Helsinki

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

Scenic Central Stockholm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweRnGqZ1k

Royal Warship Vasa & the Vasa Museum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45l1WMZOXA

When you come home' date=' the balcony is not the thing you are going to remember about the cruise, it is the impression of what you've seen on the way.[/b']

Couldn't agree more. If you have enough energy to use and enjoy a balcony you haven't worked hard enough in the day as there's so much to see at every port.

Yes and YES!!!! Agree strongly with both smart and wise comments. As a little sampling of my visuals from our 2008 Baltics trip shows, there is lots to see and enjoy outside of the ship. Sitting on balconies is nice, but the real excitement is on shore, in the great cities, etc.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Copenhagen's City Hall and Square:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the market area:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

Sorry all..but I will be the one to disagree..This itinerary/cruise will probably be for you as it was for us a trip of a lifetime..We booked a JS balcony (#1100 on RCI Jewel)..We spent a lot of time on our balcony..the views were amazing especially the cruise into and out of Stockholm as well as the other ports and the sail under the expansion bridge late one night..Sure we could have gone up somewhere on deck with the crowds..but how nice it was early in the morning, afternoons or late at night to enjoy this awesome experience in quiet calm..We also had an amazing private tour with TJ Travel in St. Peterburg..This was a trip where every $ spent was an investment in memories of a lifetime..Enjoy whatever you decide will be the best investment for you !!!:)

Sorry all..but I will be the one to disagree..This itinerary/cruise will probably be for you as it was for us a trip of a lifetime..We booked a JS balcony (#1100 on RCI Jewel)..We spent a lot of time on our balcony..the views were amazing especially the cruise into and out of Stockholm as well as the other ports and the sail under the expansion bridge late one night..Sure we could have gone up somewhere on deck with the crowds..but how nice it was early in the morning, afternoons or late at night to enjoy this awesome experience in quiet calm..We also had an amazing private tour with TJ Travel in St. Peterburg..This was a trip where every $ spent was an investment in memories of a lifetime..Enjoy whatever you decide will be the best investment for you !!!:)

Won't disagree with the disagreeing by Ashland. In fact, agree on this being a "trip of a lifetime" and that a balcony can be super nice and enjoyable. Each person has to consider how that and other costs/options fit their budget. In doing this area, in fact, you need to be prepared that things are generally more costly as Copenhagen and Stockholm are among the most expensive cities in the world.

Personally, I like being on the top deck for such sail-ins as Stockholm. That allows seeing BOTH sides, taking pictures on each side, plus from the back, etc. For us, the top deck has not been that crowded and has worked fine for such picture and sightseeing purposes.

Won't disagree with the disagreeing by Ashland. In fact, agree on this being a "trip of a lifetime" and that a balcony can be super nice and enjoyable. Each person has to consider how that and other costs/options fit their budget. In doing this area, in fact, you need to be prepared that things are generally more costly as Copenhagen and Stockholm are among the most expensive cities in the world.

Personally, I like being on the top deck for such sail-ins as Stockholm. That allows seeing BOTH sides, taking pictures on each side, plus from the back, etc. For us, the top deck has not been that crowded and has worked fine for such picture and sightseeing purposes.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I knew how important cabin location would be on this cruise..I was lucky to have booked a year out on RCI JOS #1100 which is a corner aft with a bit of a wrap around, so our view and vantage points were amazing..:eek::)

This has been discussed several times on threads already. For people who feel a balcony is a must, then by all means go for it. Others, like myself, felt this is such a port intensive cruise that we would forgo the balcony in favor of an inside cabin and spend that extra money on the ports of call.

You have an 11 day cruise, when you are in port, you are there for most of the day, running around and when you come back to the ship, eat and everything, you are tired, and there really isn't much to see from a balcony. Yes there are things to see and do, but I would disagree with Ashland, only because when you cruise the Archipelago from Stockholm if you view this from a balcony, you are only seeing ONE side of this amazing sail. You really should be on deck to see it from all angles. Ashland had a great cabin and was able to do this, but if you book a normal balcony this isn;t possible.

Except for a few things, and if you don't need the 'fresh air' to sleep, and since you did ask, go with the inside, and use that extra money on tours, souvenirs or a few good dinners in ports.

As Terry said, this is an amazing cruise.

Here are a few more pix of some of the things you will definitely want to see

In Copenhagen harbor sits the Little Mermaid, back from your travels thru China

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe218.jpg

Also in Copenhagen, you most definitely want to stroll thru the Nyhavn section and take the canal boat tour. This section is chuck filled with wonderful shops and restaurants and as picturesque as they come

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

Tallinn is just a remarkable city to walk around in. Here is the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, part of the walking tour that many people do

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

In St Petersburg, at Peterhof, looking down at the grounds, the fountains and out towards the Sea of Finland

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Also in St Petersburg, you will visit the Fortress Church of Peter and Paul

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster866.jpg

In Helsinki, everything happens from market Square. A few short blocks away is Senate square where you will see and visit the Lutheran Church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

Plase, any further help we can give, do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Len

Spent the money on private guides for St Petersburg, touring, lunches in port, shopping. I suggest you fly into the departure city a few days early. The Baltics are very port intensive you may not spend much time on a balcony. As far as sailing into Stockholm, go up to the open decks and see both sides.

Oslo fjord and Swedish archipelago are very beautiful. It will be great if you have a balcony, especially if you don't like to stay at the open deck for several hours. However, Baltic cruises are expensive. If you need to decide between spending money on a balcony or on excursions, then I will vote for excursions.

Thank you all for sharing your perspectives. They are very helpful. Besides opting for a private tour in St. Petersberg, and going to Copenhagen a few days ahead of the cruise, any other recommendations on tours and things to do?

thanks

Thank you all for sharing your perspectives. They are very helpful. Besides opting for a private tour in St. Petersberg, and going to Copenhagen a few days ahead of the cruise, any other recommendations on tours and things to do?

thanks

This board is filled with suggestions as to what to do in all the ports in the Baltics. Just scroll down a bit, or do a search and you will come up with just countless threads on each and every port you will visit. We had a thread up here for quite a while about 'can't miss places to see and do' in the Baltics. Again do a search and you will find it.

Cheers

Len

This board is filled with suggestions as to what to do in all the ports in the Baltics. Just scroll down a bit, or do a search and you will come up with just countless threads on each and every port you will visit. We had a thread up here for quite a while about 'can't miss places to see and do' in the Baltics. Again do a search and you will find it. Cheers Len

Agree strongly with Len on doing more looking through past postings on these boards. Here are more of my how-to suggestions and details:

FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on this great area of the world and also for the ports you would visit on your upcoming cruise.

SECOND, do a search on these boards by each subject or city. You will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop or subject. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city or topic, if you don't find it.

THIRD, when posting a new thread, be sure to have a title that is narrow or specfic to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. Don't just have a general term of "I have a question". Just like a good headline, the right title makes it so much easier for people to catch what you are seeking.

There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

• 2 weeks later...
A group of 6-8 are considering Scandinavia & Russia 11 days Cruise on Emerald Princess in July 2011, touching Copenhagen, Oslo, St. Pertersburg etc. Those of you, who have done this cruise, can you recommend if we should go with an Interior State Room, or spend the extra money and go with Balcony.

thank you!

we were on this cruise last september and booked an obstructed view outside since the sales person all but guaranteed us an upgrade. Anyway with no upgrade we had a great abin, the only obstruction was a slight like flagpole if you looked out the window at a certian angle. The view was less then 5% blocked. I have havd oeanview cabins booked as oceanview with less of a view. Carefully choose your cabin from the catalog. I would never take an inside,never know if it is morning noon or noght and the obstructed view are usually not very expensive. Have a great trip.

Archived