Can you take spices on an airplane?

JudithLynne

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for answering my question. What is a spice necklace?

Its a "necklace" strung with nutmeg with its mace covering, cloves, sage leaves, cinnamon, some seeds, and something cirtusy. I am looking at mine right now. Don't think of them as a necklace so much as a pomander. They smell fabulous for a long time. Makes a great inexpensive gift, too. Just take them out of the plastic bag when you get back to the ship and only put them back in right before you disembark. They will mold, since the spices are fresh, not dried. Even if they do mold, you can rub it off.

Its a "necklace" strung with nutmeg with its mace covering, cloves, sage leaves, cinnamon, some seeds, and something cirtusy.

This sounds great. Where can you buy these, and about how much are they?

Thank you!

This sounds great. Where can you buy these, and about how much are they?

Thank you!

Spice Necklaces - Believe me when I say you will have no problem finding these unless you work very hard to avoid any stores and vendors on the island. They are about as hard to find as it is to find a drink on a cruise ship!! Cost of these varies from a few dollars to about $15 depending partially on the quality and construction of the necklace (some are nicer and have some nice beads along with the spices) and whether the vendor or you is the better negotiator. Cost isn't too high in any event.

We just came back from a cruise that stopped in Grenada. I bought spices and vanilla and packed them in my checked bag....no problem. My friends bought spice necklaces and they didn't have any problems either. It was our first stop in Grenada....absolutely lovely island!

• 1 month later...

Since we did the EZ check, I kept the spices with me in my carry on since I figured I was supposed to keep everything we bought for customs. I had them in a shopping type bag, and had no problems. I had three baskets (coconut shell looking things). They did have the vials of vanilla. I also had the cocoa balls. Again, I had no problem getting through security.

Archived