7 Mile Beach Question

ladyt

We are going on our 1st cruise (Carnival Victory Western Caribbean). We wanted to do the stingray thing, but my youngest son does not want to do it. So I figured that we would do the excursion for 7 mile beach through Carnival (about 21.00 per person). Anyway, I was looking at the time the excursion starts - 12:00 and this seems too late for me. Since we are in Grand Cayman from 7:30am-4:00pm should I just take a cab myself to seven mile beach? I don't want to waste anytime, as soon as I get to Grand Cayman I want to go right on the beach. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how far is 7 mile beach from from where the ships come in? One more question: What is up with ship time and island time? What time do we go by? What is the difference?

Thanks!!!

I am very interested in 7 mile beach too. I want to just take a taxi or a bus from the port but do not know where exactly to stop at for the best beach experience? Any recommendations? Do most places charge for chairs? What is the best place to go?

You can take a cab (plentiful right at the pier) to 7 mile beach anytime you want. It was $4 per person one way. Sea Grape seems to be the most popular destination right now on these boards. The Courtyard is right next to it and both have cabs lined up and waiting to return you to the pier. These two places have chairs for rent for $20.00 for two. This includes two beverages as well (water/soda). This particular beach area is only about 5 minutes away. You can see the ships from there and the water is very nice. They offer water sports, such as jet skis, parasailing, snorkeling, banana boats, kayaks, etc. They also have food and a bar for drinks and lunch.

What Carnival rents you for $21-$23 pp is a chair, restroom rights and maybe a drink. You will still have to pay for your transportation - about $4pp by taxi.

You can cut the chair rental fee in half or more by doing it yourself, plus you can avoid the crushing mass of the cruiseships.

7 mile beach isn't really 7 miles long, but it is miles long. How far from the tender docks (you do know GC is as tender port?) depends on how far out you want to go. Cemetary Beach is about as far as you can go.

Carnival will send you to Beach Club Colony - number 5 near a Kodak symbol on the map. Sea Grape is around number 32 near a umbrella and a camera.

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/wcmap.shtml

Don't waste your money with a ship tour to Seven Mile Beach. You can save and get more time and flexibility by doing this yourself. Taxi's/Van as they mention are $4 each way. Ask to be left off at Sea Grapes across from the Courtyard Hotel. Rent lounge chairs at $10 each inc. a soft drink, water or beer for those who need a chair. The family will have a great day in the sun. Taxi's que up for return into town. Allow at least an hour or more to get back to the tender pier. Also, often GC is missed due to strong tides and seas.

The beach club was the Colony. I do not know if that reopened since the hurricane. It certainly is not worth the money a tour charges.

Bon Voyage

I agree with the others about doing this island yourself. The spots where the cruise ship "tour" taxis left people were the Courtyard Marriott and Sea Grape - both of which got real crowded. We prefer Cemetery Reef Beach, which is further down the road. Beautiful unspoiled beach and very quiet, but no facilities - if that's okay and what you want - but no crowds.

The mini-bus (taxi) driver first tried to talk us out of going there - hurricane damage, not being able to get a cab back, etc., but we decided to take our chances. I think he didn't want to go the extra distance for just two of us in the bus. Glad we did - we met one other couple from our ship there, and they absolutely loved it. Lots of hurricane damage along the way, but the beach was just fine.

When you're ready to come back, you just wait on the side of the road. The bus/taxis are always going by and flash their lights and stop when they see you.

So, if you're looking for a quiet, unspoiled beach - this is the spot for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The shops in downtown Georgetown are still there. Some are not reopened, but most are. As you head out of town you can still see a lot of damage to homes/businesses and trees are down, etc. But they are coming back.

Yes, there is still tons of damage evident as you enjoy your time in Grand Cayman. Many areas have worked very long and very hard to be ready for the tourists. We enjoyed our stay last week but were also in awe of the incredible amount of damage that Ivan brought to GC. For those who did not see her before the storm its a shame as it will be many years for her to fully recover. Go have fun, the people and the island need us there!

Archived