Train from Talkeetna to Whittier

2little time

What exactly was awful about it? I think you'd have to be pretty jaded to be visiting somewhere as beautiful as alaska and think it's awful.

There's no such thing as a "HAL train". The trains are run by the Alaska RR, and the cruise lines have specialty cars with panoramic glass roofs. HAL and Princess actually jointly own a company called HAP Alaska that handles land operations there. Some train cars have Princess logos, some have Holland America logos.

We enjoyed the train rides, and the views. I will say though, the day we went from Denali all the way to Whittier seemed like it would never end.

We rode the train from Talkeetna to Anchorage this past June. The train ride went through beautiful/awesome country. We did ride on train car with the logo HAL. This car had front facing seats which were comfortable but not as nice (IMHO) as the Princess cars with the tables and seating for 4. We were on a Princess car on our ride from Whittier to Denali which did make for a long day but it was worth every minute.

These trains are best considered as charters run for cruise ship passengers only. Since I live here, I would recommend a stop to sample some of the sights in the Anchorage area but many people choose not to do that.

As a jaded Alaska visitor, for me, only the 2 hours Whittier/Anchorage is the worthwhile segment. I have taken the entire rail distance many times. A great deal of the rest of the trip north is trees and more trees, not what I would consider the "scenic Alaska" that I prefer. I will always take the road if it works out for me, as I greatly enjoy the stops I can make along the way.

What most people don't realize with these trains is the time involved. No where is it mentioned. Whittier/Denali is 10 hours. Breaking up the run in Talkeetna is a good option- IF the time of the rest of the cruisetour is well planned, which some are not.

As a jaded Alaska visitor, for me, only the 2 hours Whittier/Anchorage is the worthwhile segment. I have taken the entire rail distance many times. A great deal of the rest of the trip north is trees and more trees, not what I would consider the "scenic Alaska" that I prefer. I will always take the road if it works out for me, as I greatly enjoy the stops I can make along the way.

What most people don't realize with these trains is the time involved. No where is it mentioned. Whittier/Denali is 10 hours. Breaking up the run in Talkeetna is a good option- IF the time of the rest of the cruisetour is well planned, which some are not.

You are absolutely correct that it is never mentioned on the cruisetours how much is actual travel time until you are booked! :( We found this out after the fact. We are OK with it since it's our first time to Alaska but I would probably not book a cruise tour again with all the independent information I have obtained.

You are absolutely correct that it is never mentioned on the cruisetours how much is actual travel time until you are booked! :( We found this out after the fact. We are OK with it since it's our first time to Alaska but I would probably not book a cruise tour again with all the independent information I have obtained.

As only a comment, I have made many times, and meant only as for thought- you haven't gone yet. This is SIMPLE to change, IF you choose to. Many people over the years have done so, and none have come back to report, they wished they had not. In fact, you never see ANY reports of independent touring, planned in part using this board, ever coming back with anything but rave reviews.

It is disheartening- to have seen, over and over, repeatively, posters coming to these board, after plans are in place, then to have them find out- some significant "problems" they had no clue about when they purchased. This is a MAJOR fault, I find of cruisetours. They are vague and I feel, deceptive at times, leading to assumptions that are completely inaccurate. I get slammed all the time of being "anti cruisetour". My reasons are valid in my experiences over many years. Clearly the more you know the better. :)

I agree and boy is there a LOT to know about Alaska! So if I was to make a change to my cruisetour I assume I can keep my cruise options as they are? (i.e. same room)

Yes, in the past, it was not any problem. Contact your booking agent directly however. Stuff changes. :)

I have had reports of increased costs, which, to me, is a nonissue. I don't spend my money on what I find isn't what I want, which is a much higher cost compared to some change costs. I don't ever advocate "practice trips" either- ("gives us a reason to go back etc etc ) yes I am outspoken. :)

The travel time information can be found on the Princess website under pre-cruise information. I have not yet booked for Alaska so I did some checking and found that all the rail times seem to be listed, including 9.5 hours from Denali to Whittier. It also says that Motor Coach time tends to be less.

The travel time information can be found on the Princess website under pre-cruise information. I have not yet booked for Alaska so I did some checking and found that all the rail times seem to be listed, including 9.5 hours from Denali to Whittier. It also says that Motor Coach time tends to be less.

This is a good reminder, but I suspect there probably are still many "questions" unanswered, like the Natural History tour, being, essentially "worthless" (my comment), train seating is assigned table seating, with 2 people riding backward the entire trip.

Yes the bus is less time. Anchorage/Denali 6 hours. Fairbanks/Denali 2.25 hours.

This is a good reminder, but I suspect there probably are still many "questions" unanswered, like the Natural History tour, being, essentially "worthless" (my comment), train seating is assigned table seating, with 2 people riding backward the entire trip.

Yes the bus is less time. Anchorage/Denali 6 hours. Fairbanks/Denali 2.25 hours.

I don't expect that either the Park Service or Princess will tell you that a tour is worthless. That's what these Boards are for-to answer questions on the best or worst tours. Why did you feel the tour was worthless? I have read several places on this Board that people advised upgrading to the Tundra Experience Tour in Denali. Since all Denali Tours are Park Service, Princess will not have much say over the content. The same area on the pre-cruise tour information also described the various Denali tours, the time for each and a recommendation.

Your comment on the train seating is welcomed. We are traveling with another couple and we can always rotate.

I don't expect that either the Park Service or Princess will tell you that a tour is worthless. That's what these Boards are for-to answer questions on the best or worst tours. Why did you feel the tour was worthless? I have read several places on this Board that people advised upgrading to the Tundra Experience Tour in Denali. Since all Denali Tours are Park Service, Princess will not have much say over the content. The same area on the pre-cruise tour information also described the various Denali tours, the time for each and a recommendation.

Your comment on the train seating is welcomed. We are traveling with another couple and we can always rotate.

For clarification, you have to have the time, to "upgrade" from the Natural History tour, to the Tundra Wilderness tour. As for the Natural History tour- you do NOT get into Denali park, that is the problem, you do not seem to realize that?? You are wrong, "all Denali Tours are Park Service"- sorry, they are run by Aramark. And there are BIG differences. I posted the web site to refer to. http://www.nps.gov/dena

It is all about distance. the farther you go, the more wildlife and scenery. The Tundra Wilderness tour- at triple the cost of the shuttle buses, doesn't go far enough for my preferences, which is at least Eielson. As I have already posted, it is of great benefit for people to find out the details of what it is to tour Denali Park. Princess has very few cruisetours with the TWT. Make the right choices, for "you", to begin with.

BQ - Is there a way to request the train seats to not be the ones riding backwards?

You're assigned a table, not a seat. So, if you're first to the table, you can sit wherever you want. Although, the friendly thing to do would be to alternate with your tablemates. They do keep you paired with the same tablemates if you have multiple train legs over the course of your cruisetour. I for one, did not "sit backwards" the whole time. I was often standing, taking pics, on the open air platform at the rear of the car, or in the dining area below.

I mentioned this earlier, but the long haul from Denali to Whittier does become tiresome, especially if you've had long active days and not enough sleep like we did. I got the distinct impression that the object of this train ride is to get out of the lodge early (so they can turn over the rooms), yet not hurry get you to the ship until they want you to board. Maybe that was just me being cynical, but I felt like the northbound trip from Anchorage to Talkeetna ran a SIGNFICANTLY faster speed than the southbound train we were on a few days later.

I got the distinct impression that the object of this train ride is to get out of the lodge early (so they can turn over the rooms), yet not hurry get you to the ship until they want you to board. Maybe that was just me being cynical, but I felt like the northbound trip from Anchorage to Talkeetna ran a SIGNFICANTLY faster speed than the southbound train we were on a few days later.

It may have, but more likely because there are so many trains on one track that the schedules are very closely coordinated so the trains can pass. There aren't that many places on the line with track to move to in order to wait for the oncoming train to get by.

Travel time by train Anchorage-Denali is 7.5 hours, and has been since I was a college student in Fairbanks using the train as my transportation home to Wasilla for holidays. A looooong time ago. Travel from Anchorage to Whittier is another 2 hours. There were no cruiseline cars back then. I'm sure it seems slower because you're on the train so much longer.

For clarification, you have to have the time, to "upgrade" from the Natural History tour, to the Tundra Wilderness tour. As for the Natural History tour- you do NOT get into Denali park, that is the problem, you do not seem to realize that?? You are wrong, "all Denali Tours are Park Service"- sorry, they are run by Aramark. And there are BIG differences. I posted the web site to refer to. http://www.nps.gov/dena

It is all about distance. the farther you go, the more wildlife and scenery. The Tundra Wilderness tour- at triple the cost of the shuttle buses, doesn't go far enough for my preferences, which is at least Eielson. As I have already posted, it is of great benefit for people to find out the details of what it is to tour Denali Park. Princess has very few cruisetours with the TWT. Make the right choices, for "you", to begin with.

Aramark is the official licensee of the National Park Service and among other things supplies food and lodging services at a number of National Parks (we used them recently at Mesa Verde). They were selected by the Park Service and no other vehicle can enter. We have taken their tours in a number of parks. According to the description on the website, there are four tours into Denali and they are all officially authorized by the Park Service. The road into Denali is 91 miles long. The cheapest tour is the Experience Denali-4 to 5 hours- at $79 and it goes to Mile 15. The next is the Denali Natural History Tour-4-5 hours- at $99 and get goes to Mile 17. The third is The Tundra Experience-7-8 hours- at $149 and goes to mile 53 and the last is the Kantishna Experience-11-12 hours-at $199 and it goes clear to the end. You are right that there is a deadline which is 14 days prior. My point is that there is a lot of information available on the Princess website; through the National Park Service and Cruise Critic boards. I admit that I may be more thorough than many in my preparations and I have been surprised on some rare occasions, but my point is that there is a lot of information available.

Aramark is the official licensee of the National Park Service and among other things supplies food and lodging services at a number of National Parks (we used them recently at Mesa Verde). They were selected by the Park Service and no other vehicle can enter. We have taken their tours in a number of parks. According to the description on the website, there are four tours into Denali and they are all officially authorized by the Park Service. The road into Denali is 91 miles long. The cheapest tour is the Experience Denali-4 to 5 hours- at $79 and it goes to Mile 15. The next is the Denali Natural History Tour-4-5 hours- at $99 and get goes to Mile 17. The third is The Tundra Experience-7-8 hours- at $149 and goes to mile 53 and the last is the Kantishna Experience-11-12 hours-at $199 and it goes clear to the end. You are right that there is a deadline which is 14 days prior. My point is that there is a lot of information available on the Princess website; through the National Park Service and Cruise Critic boards. I admit that I may be more thorough than many in my preparations and I have been surprised on some rare occasions, but my point is that there is a lot of information available.

And what about the shuttle buses??? Not sure if you have been to Alaska, but if you do not know about them, you are missing a significant transit choice, which to some is superior than the tour buses.

We used the park shuttle bus last May and went as far as Tolkat which was the same distance as the TWT. Had a great bus driver who had all kinds of stories and info to pass on. It was approximately $20+ pp and no charge for kids under I beleive 14 or 15. TWT was a lot more ($149 per KC Dan) plus there was a charge for kids also. It was a fantastic trip.

Archived