St Thomas on Strike today?

kathyemma

Just posted by Sunny Liston

"What is going on on St.Thomas today? It seems that the pilots for the cruise ships are on strike here on St.Thomas. All 5 ship are out in the harbour cannot get in port. It is really sad, because I had so many people schedule for my tour today.

That is a big lost. Hope they get out soon and bring in the ships. Ships that are schedule today are the Emerald Princess, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Dream, Oasis of the Seas,and the Norwegian Sun. Over 20.000 people are held up in the harbour."

Has anyone heard anything?

Wow that is a lot of people to leave hanging. I have always thought that Harbor Pilot thing was a big racket. The Captains are in and out of those harbors every week you would think they could bring the ships in blindfolded. An airplane pilot makes approaches to new airports all the time with out difficulty. But it is the law.

I don't know who would be more upset, the passengers or the vendors. Guess the vendors - they have had a hard few months with the weather.

Haven't heard any updates from Sunny. Hopefully they are all off the ships by now.

Kathy

Just posted by Sunny Liston

"What is going on on St.Thomas today? It seems that the pilots for the cruise ships are on strike here on St.Thomas. All 5 ship are out in the harbour cannot get in port. It is really sad, because I had so many people schedule for my tour today.

That is a big lost. Hope they get out soon and bring in the ships. Ships that are schedule today are the Emerald Princess, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Dream, Oasis of the Seas,and the Norwegian Sun. Over 20.000 people are held up in the harbour."

Has anyone heard anything?

Is today the first day they are striking to your knowledge?

Is today the first day they are striking to your knowledge?

This is the first comment Sunny Liston has made about it. He is one of the tour operators in St Thomas. Pretty sure if is was going on earlier he would have said something.

Kathy

Been following this via a friend's Facebook page..(they live there and own a dive shop).

The pilot boat pilots are on strike because they haven't received paychecks for a while. The government is claiming they don't have the $$. There are a total of about 5 pilots.

And today is one of the "high traffic" days with 5 ships scheduled in.

Very dangerous situation, because the Islands have been getting hit with a string of bad weather...if the ships can't get in, it's that much less income the local businesses will see.

:(

I read the CC article... as one poster here already noted, it's the crew of the pilot boats who are on strike, not the pilots themselves.

Rather amusing if you ask me... cruise ships have their own tenders or at least lifeboats... not that this would be a long-term solution, but especially now that they know about it, it's not going to be a big impact. All these striking crews are doing is making everybody mad. Not exactly a good bargaining tactic.

Theron

I'm not a union person and I don't usually support strikes. And I admit we may not have all the facts yet. But, if it's true that these guys have been working and haven't received their paychecks that just isn't right. The money is coming in--those cruise lines pay sizable fees to use the facilities at the docks. Pay them what they are owed!

I have to agree with the above poster. If I didn't get paid for several months I wouldn't be working either. I'll be looking for another job that would help me put food on my families table and clothes on my childrens' backs. Even if that job was sweeping out stalls in the Straw Markets.

I'm not a union person and I don't usually support strikes. And I admit we may not have all the facts yet. But, if it's true that these guys have been working and haven't received their paychecks that just isn't right. The money is coming in--those cruise lines pay sizable fees to use the facilities at the docks. Pay them what they are owed!

I have to agree with the above poster. If I didn't get paid for several months I wouldn't be working either. I'll be looking for another job that would help me put food on my families table and clothes on my childrens' backs. Even if that job was sweeping out stalls in the Straw Markets.

I guess that when it takes insurance comanies several months to pay me what I am owed it gives me a different perspective on things.:rolleyes: You mean to say that some people actually get paid in a reasonable amount of time after completing their work?

I guess that when it takes insurance comanies several months to pay me what I am owed it gives me a different perspective on things.:rolleyes: You mean to say that some people actually get paid in a reasonable amount of time after completing their work?

I sympathize with you. I have clients that often take advantage of delaying payment for 60, 90, even 120 days or more when the terms are due within 15 days of invoice. Bottom line, if you do the work as agreed, you should be paid--as agreed.

I'm not sure we have all the facts, but if the USVI local gov't isn't paying the people who work at the port as normal, then they're just being short sighted. The income generated by the ports--both cruise line and freight--has to be a significant part of the island's GDP. Again, if it's true that they're simply not paying the crews the salary they're owed, then they're just plain stupid.

In Texas laws were put in place to stop that poop. Those groups who bill and get paid electronically sometimes are paid in 5 days... on the flip side UHC just paid the claim for DD and me when we saw a PCP group in AK while there for Christmas and NYE last year. It took my appeal directly to the CEO to get it paid as well. (OB you can join the TX RI exchange program my parents are in...:D split your time between the two places.)

Many patients would cringe if they knew how their providers have to at times fight to be paid...at times even over simple small amounts.

I sure hope the StT folks get paid...only fair to be paid when you work.

In Texas laws were put in place to stop that poop. Those groups who bill and get paid electronically sometimes are paid in 5 days... on the flip side UHC just paid the claim for DD and me when we saw a PCP group in AK while there for Christmas and NYE last year. It took my appeal directly to the CEO to get it paid as well. (OB you can join the TX RI exchange program my parents are in...:D split your time between the two places.)

Many patients would cringe if they knew how their providers have to at times fight to be paid...at times even over simple small amounts.

I sure hope the StT folks get paid...only fair to be paid when you work.

It seems like everything is bigger and better in Texas. Rhode Island is a whole other issue in itself.:rolleyes:

Archived