Which Alaska cruise is best?

Yochell

Hi. My hubby and I are planning our 25th anniversary celebration for July or August 2011 and are treating ourselves to an Alaska cruise. We have heard that the southbound cruises are best, but are looking for more pointers? Which Alaska cruises have you taken and what do you recommend as far as cruise line, itinerary, ports of call, land tours, etc? We have sailed Princess before, and would like to stay in the price range of that cruise line. (We can't afford the more expensive lines.) I want this cruise to be the best ever! Thanks for your help.

Hi. My hubby and I are planning our 25th anniversary celebration for July or August 2011 and are treating ourselves to an Alaska cruise. We have heard that the southbound cruises are best, but are looking for more pointers? Which Alaska cruises have you taken and what do you recommend as far as cruise line, itinerary, ports of call, land tours, etc? We have sailed Princess before, and would like to stay in the price range of that cruise line. (We can't afford the more expensive lines.) I want this cruise to be the best ever! Thanks for your help.

Are you planning on spending anytime visiting the interior of Alaska, or are you just looking at a 7 day cruise?

Princess has one of the best itineraries with their southbound cruises. They go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier which are the 2 biggies. Princess does Alaska well, and we found our Princess Alaska cruise to be wonderful. They have a naturalist giving talks and pointing to interesting sites, which some of the cruise lines do not. If you do a one way, you should plan to spend some time on a land tour as well to get the best experience.

My second choice is what we're doing this time around - a round trip out of Vancouver on HAL. It also goes to Glacier Bay. Vancouver sailings give you more time with the beautiful scenery and have less potential for rough water than the trips out of Seattle. The benefit of a round trip is that you don't have the long flight to/from Anchorage, but for a first time in Alaska, I'd choose the Princess southbound cruise with a land tour first.

I haven't gone yet myself (June 2011) but I will share what others told me. People doing cruisetours like the Southbound route better since the land portion can be very excursion intensive and tiring and then they can relax on the ship for a week.

We are going with Princess because they go to Glacier Bay and Hubbard and not all the other cruise lines go to both. They also seem to have the Alaska trips down pat from the trains, hotels etc and it makes it easier for first time travelers.

If you are just doing a cruise then maybe the itineray is the only decision that's important for you.

We have sailed Princess two times, both in Alaska, the 1st southbound, the last a northbound.

Comparing the two, we prefer the northbound route, stopping in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway.

I think the main reason is, boarding the ship in Vancouver is so easy, getting off in Whittier is very easy as well. On the southbound, getting on in Whittier is not a problem, however Vancouver is a zoo. Also, we enjoy Vancouver and like the time prior to the cruise to do our thing there.

Some say the starboard side is preferable on a norhtbound, so far have not found that to be the case. Each time when we were on deck, we always migrated to the port side. When we did the southbound, then we were on the starboard, regardless, good viewing on either side.

We enjoyed the whale watching tour in Juneau, lots of time with the whales. There is a resturant in Skagway - Skagway Fish Company that has very good King Crab.

On our northbound we did a 5 day land tour, 1 night Mckinley, 2 nights Denali and 2 nights Fairbanks. Maybe next time, spend more time in Fairbanks as we could fit in only what Princess had lined up for us other than a trip to North Pole. There is a lot to do in Denali as well.

The train was a nice way to travel. The food on the train was good and the scenery spectacular.

I haven't gone yet myself (June 2011) but I will share what others told me. People doing cruisetours like the Southbound route better since the land portion can be very excursion intensive and tiring and then they can relax on the ship for a week.

I find that my cruise portion can be just as if not more tiring than the land portion. Up early for Glacier Bay, up and ready to disembark at each port soon after docking in order to maximize time in the port. Back on the ship, hurry up and get ready for dinner, maybe miss dinner altogether and just clean up and grab something later in the evening at the buffet. In fact, I find the land portion to be MORE relaxing, at least when done independently.

Are you planning on spending anytime visiting the interior of Alaska, or are you just looking at a 7 day cruise?

We aren't sure yet. I would love to do a land tour of the interior also, but it all depends on the final costs. Right now, I am trying to gather as much info as I can and then weigh my options.

I am also wondering which cruise would be the best. I have heard Princess is the best line to cruise to Alaska. The husband and I were looking at a RT 7-day cruise from Seattle visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, and cruising Tracy Arm Fjord. The husband has already cruised to Alaska but I never have, so this will be nothing new to him. How is this itinerary for someone who has never been there?

We liked that it was RT from Seattle so it would save on airline tickets as we are flying from North Carolina. Amazingly, we found a deal for $280/person RT for tickets. Of course, it would be much higher for tickets if the cruise started and ended in different cities.

Any suggestions?

I am also wondering which cruise would be the best. I have heard Princess is the best line to cruise to Alaska. The husband and I were looking at a RT 7-day cruise from Seattle visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, and cruising Tracy Arm Fjord. The husband has already cruised to Alaska but I never have, so this will be nothing new to him. How is this itinerary for someone who has never been there?

We liked that it was RT from Seattle so it would save on airline tickets as we are flying from North Carolina. Amazingly, we found a deal for $280/person RT for tickets. Of course, it would be much higher for tickets if the cruise started and ended in different cities.

Any suggestions?

Honestly, that is one of Princess' poorer cruises. Tracy Arm is the only glacier on this trip and often you don't get very far into the Arm. If you can get to Seattle, it is a relatively short bus/train/rental car ride to Vancouver, where it opens up lots more options.

Any suggestions?

Most cruisers will tell you that Tracy Arm (and the Sawyer glaciers at the end) is the least desirable glacier experience. Either Glacier Bay or the Hubbard Glacier are much better glacier experiences. Often the ships don't get far enough into the fjord at Tracy Arm for the passengers to be able to see the glaciers. This is due to ice in the water. The Hubbard Glacier is huge - over a 6 mile wide face with much calving. Glacier Bay is a National Park - none of the glaciers are the size of the Hubbard, but you will see about 4 glaciers there and it's an all day trip with the chance of seeing wildlife.

When you look at cruises, look at how long they stay in port, not just the ports where they call. The longer the better. Also look at the possibility of doing a Vancouver round trip. You can still fly into Seattle and take a bus, train or rental car to Vancouver. The Seattle round trips have 2 full days - first and last - when you're sailing in the open Pacific west of Vancouver Island with nothing to see and the possibility of very rough seas. (I experienced 20 foot seas and 60 MPH winds on the Holland America Oosterdam this past June.)

Keep reading everything here on Cruise Critic and ask questions - that way you can maximize your Alaska cruise.

Any suggestions?

In general the Princess one ways are better itineraries than their round trips. If you are set on Seattle, take a look at the HAL round trips. HAL does a great job in Alaska too. For a first timer I would recommend Glacier Bay. Even Hubbard can be iced out or fogged out. Most first timers really want a glacier experience and Glacier Bay is an amazing day of beautiful sailing. Tracy Arm Fjord is very beautiful too. However, if you have a glacier priority I would nix that itinerary. HAL has been offering a round trip out of Vancouver that goes to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Lots of choices. I suggest you do a little more research on the glaciers and ports and then find an itinerary that includes the places you most want to see. I Have been reading these boards since 2007 and I don't recall anyone having a bad cruise to Alaska. (Some have better weather than others) In general, first timers don't know what they are missing if they do not see one of the major glacier areas. They come back very content. Just don't book until you have done your research.

:DOaky, I will put my twelve cents in (my opinion is too long for the 2cents). I would definately choose Princess; however, they are my line of choice for just about all travel. We have done both the land package with them and the RT Seattle.

Landpackage was great....However, the majority of the time you are doing the land package it is just that...land not by the water at all. I know that sounds obvious but some were disappointed because the lodges are not by the water. Also, you don't always get to see Mt. McKinley as it can be clouded over. It is tiring in my opinion for land if you don't stay more then one night as you have to wake up early for the bus or train. Also, when you go on the bus sometimes it is not a luxury coach but a school bus. Also, the prices of the food are higher because you have to eat their lodge. To be fair you can eat more in the bar area and get a burger and split fries. The food is good but more like going to a nice dinner out. No other places to eat in walking distance. However, if you do land I would say go with Princess as their lodges are beautiful. You don't stay in the lodge proper. They have out buildings that hold most if not all the rooms. The lodges though have the fireplaces, dining rooms, etc. When you go with other lines you stay in hotels not lodges. WHen I go to Alaska I want the lodge 'outdoors' feeling not a hotel feel.

We just did the RT Seattle Alaska trip with Princess this past May. It was wonderful. On the first and last day it was 'rougher' water...but nothing serious..because it is open water. I loved every port. I have tons of fav. excursions too. I would highly recommend the Princess bus tour that goes to the Yukon out of Skagway. It was fantastic. We took the train the first time and the bus this past trip. The bus was great because they pulled over at various stops and we could get out and explore for a bit. WHere the train you see the sceneray but you don't get to get off and see places along the way. This is where they had to stop the bus because a bear was eatting dandolions. It was right in front of the bus. Also, we stopped at the desert. I never even knew there was a desert in Alaska. Juneu was okay. However, we did love our tour! We took the Mendenhall Glacier, nature center, and fishbake. The Glacier was fantastic as you can walk right up to a waterfall. It was unbelievable no rails or fences just walk right up and feel this wonderful cool glacier water spray hitting your face. Go for the walk as opposed to the nature center. Also, they bring a piece of ice from the glacier and let you touch it. That piece of ice is older then Christ. WOW! Ketchikan was a cute little town but all it is is tourist shops (though cute and dirt cheap!) WHen the salmon are spawning you can see them jumping over each other down at the Kids Creek Market. My Uncle took a Holland cruise and they couldn't get into Ketchikan because of weather. Glacier Bay was Amazing. It was the most religous experience I have ever had. Just amazing. We went into this one inlet and you were surrounded by the mountains and glaciers and water falls and there wasn't a sound. You felt like you were the only one there and the first one to explore it. Unbelievable. We live in Northern Michigan where we have tons of trees, hills, snow, and "clean" air. But you can get an oxygen high from how pure and clean the air is there. Ohhhhhh to be back. Finally, if you go on the RT Seattle you will have the honor of hearing this wonderful naturalist speak Michael Modzelewski. He helped to make our trip the awesome experience that it was. His talks were amazing. Each time the group got bigger that listened to him. It was a daily talk. He speaks with his hands and is really poetic but it is just magical. He lived in Alaska without any conviences for two years. He knows the land like the back of his hand. He is doing the whole season on the Golden this year again. Even if you don't go on Princess or the RT you can get his books about Alaska. They are a simple read but interesting and either brings the memories back or gets you excited to go again.

I didn't really want to go to Alaska but went as a family multi-generational trip. Now, I would sell my house tomorrow and move their if I had the chance. I know that most would beg to differ with me but we had an obstructed OV room. We are a family of 4 so much diff. then celebrating an Anniversary. However, we were on deck and seeing the sites so often that I wouldn't want a balcony. I would rather save the money for shore excursions. Plus, for Glacier Bay and some of the other areas they have naturalists talk over the PA on the decks so you can hear about the area. If you had a balcony you would have missed their information. Just my opinion on that. If I had to do it again I would choose the obstructed OV again. However, our OB OV wasn't all that obstructed either.

I hope I didn't bore everyone with my long opinion. We hope to go back again this year! If you have any questions just ask I love to talk about Alaska (If you couldn't tell!)

I would highly recommend the Princess bus tour that goes to the Yukon out of Skagway. It was fantastic. We took the train the first time and the bus this past trip. The bus was great because they pulled over at various stops and we could get out and explore for a bit. WHere the train you see the sceneray but you don't get to get off and see places along the way.

There are tours where you take the train in one direction and bus in the other. Some of the private operators like Chilkoot operate much smaller buses than the cruiselines. Doing it this way, you get the best of both worlds.

My Uncle took a Holland cruise and they couldn't get into Ketchikan because of weather

I do not understand why you made this point. Was it Holland America's fault that the weather prevented the ship from docking. It sounds like you are trying to say that if you cruise with Princess you will be able to dock in spite of the weather.

You did provide potential cruisers with lots of food for thought. I am sure it will get some new cruisers thinking about their options. It is always nice to hear first hand from those who have done what you might want to be doing. Just remember there is no one way that is best for everyone. However, there is a way that is best for you. For example, you really like the Princess Lodges, but some do not, especially Mt. McKinley. ALthough some enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere, others wish they were staying elsewhere. Key is to do the research and find what will be best for you.

I am sorry that I made it sound if you took Holland America that you wouldn't be able to dock. What I meant is that sometimes you can't dock at all ports no matter what due to weather. We almost couldn't dock at Victoria due to weather.

One size does not fit all for any line, itinerary, or anything. I was voicing my opinion my two cents. Speaking only for myself. They asked for opinions so I gave mine. That is what a message board is about.

That is why there are many different cruise lines, itineraries, and choices for everything.

I am sorry that I made it sound if you took Holland America that you wouldn't be able to dock. What I meant is that sometimes you can't dock at all ports no matter what due to weather. We almost couldn't dock at Victoria due to weather.

One size does not fit all for any line, itinerary, or anything. I was voicing my opinion my two cents. Speaking only for myself. They asked for opinions so I gave mine. That is what a message board is about.

That is why there are many different cruise lines, itineraries, and choices for everything.

You provided valuable information and I mentioned that. It is good to hear first hand reports. You did a great job explaining your experience. I am sure it will be helpful to those planning a future cruise to Alaska.

Hi Carefree, I am the person who began this thread, and I am thrilled to be able to read your opinions. That is what I am looking for. I value experienced cruisers opinions, read them all, and then use them to decide in which direction to go regarding making my plans. I know everyone feels differently about different vacation activities, but as someone who has never been to Alaska, I have no clue as to what are some "must do" activities. I want to hear what you, and everyone else, liked and use that info as a starting point. Then I will research and decide what is right for me and my husband. Otherwise, I might read something that sounds wonderful from a tourist agency's promotion, but not know whether or not it is really worthwhile. Thanks for adding your 2 cents (or 12 cents!) worth! It is very appreciated.

Well, it should now be clear, there is no best. :)

What I suggest you do first, is find out about Alaska. Set the cruiseline aside. There are only 6 Alaska ports on the inside passage. Find out what each can offer you, and rank your preferences. This will cut down on the "cruise" list. I have sailed Alaska on HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCI, and NCL. I recently booked a Celebrity cruise, so, I'll have taken all the mega lines. :)

Figure out, how long you can go for and if the budget is there, for an extended visit. Doing a cruise then interior Alaska touring is a big highlight. BUT, TIME is your friend here. I strongly encourage you, to go for as long as you can afford. Cruisetours, make it "easy" to book, BUT, and I get flamed all the time, BUT, there clearly are some poor cruisetours out there, and most people do not understand the details of what they are booking. This board is repeatively full of these posters. It is FAR better to make the right choices from the begining rather than trying to fix something later.

Take some time, to read trip reports, head to your library, take out Alaska By Cruiseship, and other Alaska travel guides. Do your homework and understand FULLY what Denali Park is all about. It is generally the highlight of interior Alaska touring.

Most of all, have fun, don't look for that "perfect" trip, you aren't going to find it. Alaska isn't a one time visit, even in 10 it's still a fraction.

Comparing the two, we prefer the northbound route, stopping in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway.

Almost all itineraries include these 3. They're pretty much the standard.

I think the main reason is, boarding the ship in Vancouver is so easy,

Some cruisers this year found boarding in Vancouver to be a nightmare. We're crossing our fingers that won't be the case next year.

As Budget Queen recommends, do research at the library. Everything is very different in Alaska. As you see, everyone has their own preferences.

Do as BQ suggests - We booked a cruisetour for June on Princess and I honestly wished I would have waited a little longer after I obtained all my reserach to book a trip! We are still going to have a great time with everything I planned but I would have booked the land portion independently had I known then what I do now. We signed up for a 12 day cruisetour with 2 nights in Denali, 2 nights in Mckinley and 1 night in Fairbanks. What it really ends up being is less then a day and a half in the first 2 because of travel. I also discovered there is WAY more I want to do in Denali then Mckinley and I would have allocated my time differently had I booked independently.

I'm not bummed about the cruisetour because it will still be great but if I was starting from scratch then I would not book a cruisetour.

Do as BQ suggests - We booked a cruisetour for June on Princess and I honestly wished I would have waited a little longer after I obtained all my reserach to book a trip! We are still going to have a great time with everything I planned but I would have booked the land portion independently had I known then what I do now. We signed up for a 12 day cruisetour with 2 nights in Denali, 2 nights in Mckinley and 1 night in Fairbanks. What it really ends up being is less then a day and a half in the first 2 because of travel. I also discovered there is WAY more I want to do in Denali then Mckinley and I would have allocated my time differently had I booked independently.

I'm not bummed about the cruisetour because it will still be great but if I was starting from scratch then I would not book a cruisetour.

I replied elsewhere to you, and ONLY an option to consider. This can easily be changed, IF you choose to consider it. This board has planned many accurate itineraries for Alaska visitors, with getting nothing but rave reviews upon return.

For me, I don't compromise on my travels, nor spend my valuable time and money on what is not ideal. If you have the interest- alternatives are available.

HAL has lots of cruisetours to offer and you do want to spend two days in Denali. The advantage of doing a cruisetour is that you don't waste a lot of time checking in and out of hotels or trying to figure out the best way to see Alaska. They have lots of experience and offer great itineraries. Yes, decide what you want to see for sure. Most go to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan but only some go to Sitka. In Denali you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes further into the park. You want to do the White Pass in Skagway but try to go up by bus and down by train. There is so much to see and do that you can't possibly do it all in one trip. Lots of people like Misty Fjords in Ketchikan but fly over rather than take the boat trip. We didn't care for the boat trip into Misty Fjords. Most prefer to do the land part first and cruise last so they can relax on the ship at the end of the trip. Don't miss either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. College Fjord is also magnificent! Have Hal send you their brochure.

HAL has lots of cruisetours to offer and you do want to spend two days in Denali. The advantage of doing a cruisetour is that you don't waste a lot of time checking in and out of hotels or trying to figure out the best way to see Alaska. They have lots of experience and offer great itineraries. Yes, decide what you want to see for sure. Most go to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan but only some go to Sitka. In Denali you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes further into the park. You want to do the White Pass in Skagway but try to go up by bus and down by train. There is so much to see and do that you can't possibly do it all in one trip. Lots of people like Misty Fjords in Ketchikan but fly over rather than take the boat trip. We didn't care for the boat trip into Misty Fjords. Most prefer to do the land part first and cruise last so they can relax on the ship at the end of the trip. Don't miss either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. College Fjord is also magnificent! Have Hal send you their brochure.

You make some very valid points, and there are other alternatives. It is necessary to really do your homework, no matter how you tour interior Alaska. But,- independent- can greatly be a better use of time. You state, about not wasting time checking in and out of hotels- BUT, cruisetours, can have a LOT Of wasted time, waiting, for departures, line ups, rest stops. So, I really do not find this always a valid point. For some Denali Park visitors (definately me), the Tundra Wilderness, is not what is considered- what to "want" in Denali Park. This is too short a distance, for me, and I would never consider any less than Eielson, at 1/3 the cost. :) I always recommend, that Denali Park, be very "understood", so to make the best decisions. It is very clearly explained http://www.nps.gov/dena

we took the Holland Zuiderdam may 15/10 on the inside passage from Vancouver and it was awesome. Many people told us before going it was the wrong time of the year to go etc...and we had the best weather ever. The temperature was 15-18C in ports(Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican) and the only rainy misty day was in Ketchican on our way back. The land excursions were amazing( we did dog sledding on a glacier by helicopter, walking on a glacier by helicopter and whale watching(we wouldnt do that one again in Juneau as you see enough whales on the ship) and lastly we did the Alaskan crab feast ( you either fly up by float plane or back..we went up in a bus and back by plane ). We never got to expierence the fjords by plane as the weather was not great that day. We were dissapointed in that one also as we felt we were rushed through the dinner and "feast" that was supposed to be all you can eat and the food was just OK. It was a bit misleading to say the least.

But the cruise line does an awesome job. We truly enjoyed it especially Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. If we went again we would do the 8hr rail ride in Skagway. There were rave reviews on that one.

Have a great trip

Archived