Other Ships in Port

PreciousMissy

How do you find out how many ships will be in port the same day as your cruise line? I see many posts and people say that this is something that should be taken into consideration.

OR...

http://cruisett.com/ships.php

If you do this one just click on your ship and then (next screen) click on the month and you will see where the ship is each day and what other ships are in the same place.:)

How do you find out how many ships will be in port the same day as your cruise line? I see many posts and people say that this is something that should be taken into consideration.

I usually find out by looking around after the ship has docked.

OR...

http://cruisett.com/ships.php

If you do this one just click on your ship and then (next screen) click on the month and you will see where the ship is each day and what other ships are in the same place.:)

the funny thing is that I just checked four ports that I'm going to at and it lists this other ship as being in all four ports on the same day. But the website for that other ship's cruiseline has the first and fourth ports switched. I would be more likely to trust the cruiseline's site than this one on the matter.

Unless you're going to change YOUR cruise because of the number of ships in the ports, I can't see where or why it would matter....nothing you can do about it! And, the ports can handle the influx of day tourists!

I, personally, don't care if there is 1 or 100 ships in port the same day we are there! The more the merrier! With this being our first cruise, I'm just soaking in all the info I can get on these boards!

Unless you're going to change YOUR cruise because of the number of ships in the ports, I can't see where or why it would matter!

I like to know in advance. It can matter if one is considering whether to make certain arrangements prior to sailing or upon arrival. For instance, if Key West is going to have three cruise ships the day we are going to be there, we will probably stay on the ship rather than stand in line for the trolley tour or wait an hour for a table at our favorite restaurant with outdoor seating. In our experience, shopping St. Martin and Cozumel is a totally different experience when there is one ship in port as apposed to four. One ship in port, vendors are eager to haggle whether it's for goods or for services. Four ships in port, vendors are not so hungry to make a deal.

I like to know in advance. It can matter if one is considering whether to make certain arrangements prior to sailing or upon arrival. For instance, if Key West is going to have three cruise ships the day we are going to be there, we will probably stay on the ship rather than stand in line for the trolley tour or wait an hour for a table at our favorite restaurant with outdoor seating. In our experience, shopping St. Martin and Cozumel is a totally different experience when there is one ship in port as apposed to four. One ship in port, vendors are eager to haggle whether it's for goods or for services. Four ships in port, vendors are not so hungry to make a deal.

So, how would knowing in advance change any of this? When you get to Key West, look around. If you see a lot of ships, don't get off. If you don't see a lot of ship, head over to your favorite restaurant.

The same with St. Martin and/or Cozumel. Look around. If you see a lot of ships, don't expect to get any good deals. If you don't see a lot of ship, bargain hard.

Unless you're going to change YOUR cruise because of the number of ships in the ports, I can't see where or why it would matter....nothing you can do about it! And, the ports can handle the influx of day tourists!

Was that really necessary? No it was not, it's just plain rude. It's none of your business why someone has a question. If you have nothing to contribute that would be helpful why contribute at all? Maybe I have a physical disability or a mental disorder that could easily be dealt with when there is only one ship of 4000+ cruisers in port as opposed to 4 ships of 4000+ cruisers. Maybe it's helping me decide if I want to go to a beach club or a free public beach. It's MY business why I asked the question, not yours. :mad:

So, how would knowing in advance change any of this? When you get to Key West, look around. If you see a lot of ships, don't get off. If you don't see a lot of ship, head over to your favorite restaurant.

The same with St. Martin and/or Cozumel. Look around. If you see a lot of ships, don't expect to get any good deals. If you don't see a lot of ship, bargain hard.

That way of thinking doesn't work for us, but if it works for you, that's great.

Maybe I have a physical disability or a mental disorder that could easily be dealt with when there is only one ship of 4000+ cruisers in port as opposed to 4 ships of 4000+ cruisers. Maybe it's helping me decide if I want to go to a beach club or a free public beach.

Wow, I never thought of that. You have a good point. We're cruising with my parents, and my dad is physically and psychologically not capable of enduring a heavily crowded port for several hours.

Was that really necessary? No it was not, it's just plain rude. It's none of your business why someone has a question. If you have nothing to contribute that would be helpful why contribute at all?

At first, I thought the same thing, about the rudeness, but maybe, Cuizer, the writer of thousands of posts and, I assume, a lot of cruising experience, is a well-meaning know-it-all who perceived you as a newbie who would benefit from his (or her) "wisdom". :rolleyes:

Having never cruised before it intrigued me to look which ships are in port too. Apparently in Roatan there will be 2 others and Cozumel another 4 besides our cruise.

I don't even know if this constitutes a lot or little.

In Honduras we have a tour booked but Cozumel we are hoping to take a taxi so it may mean that it could be crowded, but I'm sure there'll be enough around for us all.

Having never cruised before it intrigued me to look which ships are in port too. Apparently in Roatan there will be 2 others and Cozumel another 4 besides our cruise.

I don't even know if this constitutes a lot or little.

In Honduras we have a tour booked but Cozumel we are hoping to take a taxi so it may mean that it could be crowded, but I'm sure there'll be enough around for us all.

Three ships in Roatan is a lot. Five in Cozumel is not.

One or two ships in Roatan is okay. Cozumel could dock up to ten ship at once before the hurricane wiped out the piers.

Thanks for this info everyone!! I have been wondering about this as well. Just found out there will be 6 ships in port on the day we arrive in Nassau.:eek:

Often the number of ships can impact your visit to that port. If some of those six ships are big (3,000 passengers or more), the stores and attractions could be very crowded. If a few of those ships are with more luxury lines (Regent, Crystal, for example), those will have a smaller number of passengers. Also if there's a limited number of berths at the dock, some of the ships will anchor away from the pier and will use tenders to transport passengers to the shore.

Archived