Your Favorite Drugstore Alternatives to Expensive Cosmetics?

FinelyRetired

Anyone have a really good inexpensive facial moisturizer that you like? I woke up this morning with one side of my face feeling like sand paper it was so dry and I was out of moisturizer. I'd like to find a drug store one that works good.

I always use a moisturizer with SPF; I have a lot I like and no reason to stick with just one - I love to shop for lotions and potions so I try new stuff, and have used all these more than once:

* Aveeno POSITIVELY AGELESS Daily Moisturizer SPF 30,

*Roc Deep Wrinkle Daily moisturizing SPF 30 http://www.rocskincare.com/retinol-correxion.jsp#b

*Burt's Bees radiance day lotion http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-moisturizers/radiance-day-lotion-spf-15.html

* L'Oreal Revitalift SPF 30

*Olay Regenerist spf 15 (I don't like the lower SPF but the lotion I like)

Right now I'm using the Roc again - I got a 2 pack with an extra tube of night cream from Costo.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I've used Avon Anew moisturizerr nd eye cream, for over 15 years. As I got older I just progressed to the product I needed. I always say if I stopped using them my face might fall apart LOL BTW I'm 60 and am often told I could pass for 45. I think that's stretching it a little but I do get a kick out of that LOL Seriously, I don't use everything but I often find good deals on ebay. I stick with what works for me.

I have extremely dry lips from working in a dry hospital setting. What lipstick/stain can people recommend that is long lasting and won't dry

me out more than I already am?:cool:

Ohhh Good luck finding a lip stain that won't dry your lips out......I have a serious addiction to Chapstick and Burts Bees wax usually find any lip stain is way too drying.

Burts Bees Wax has lip sticks but I hated the taste of them.

I have just started using Loreal Infallible Lip Gloss in the darker colors (they are pretty sheer) They give 6 hours of coverage, are not too glossy or gloppy, and seem not to be drying ...so far.

Ohhh Good luck finding a lip stain that won't dry your lips out......I have a serious addiction to Chapstick and Burts Bees wax usually find any lip stain is way too drying.

Burts Bees Wax has lip sticks but I hated the taste of them.

I have just started using Loreal Infallible Lip Gloss in the darker colors (they are pretty sheer) They give 6 hours of coverage, are not too glossy or gloppy, and seem not to be drying ...so far.

Thanks!

Caldesene diaper rash powder for my face:D I have sensitive skin, & this sort of cools it down. Pretty feet & hands exfoliator for my face, cheap, make my face baby smooth, & it's not rough on my skin like the gritty scrubs are. Make up wise, it all comes from target, I love the nutragena line!

I have run out of this....and cannot find it at Walgreens or CVS....anyone else use this? Where do you find it?

Thanks!

Anyone have a really good inexpensive facial moisturizer that you like? I woke up this morning with one side of my face feeling like sand paper it was so dry and I was out of moisturizer. I'd like to find a drug store one that works good.

I highly recommend Avene.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=All&srchtree=1&Ntt=avene&Go.x=9&Go.y=15

I heard of the Pretty Hands and Feet as a facial exfoliater, but I thought feet exfoliater was for really rough, dry, thick skin and my face doesn't have that kind of skin. What exactly does it exofilate off your face and how often do you do that??

Some things I don't mind using on the cheap (baby oil, body lotions, body washes) etc but then for some things like makeup, shampoo (I finally found Schwarzkopf Bonacure in the USA) I am willing to spend the money on. Sometimes you get what you pay for quality wise. I like Rimmel make up, I had that in England before and was happy to see it here. Boots skincre and makeup is great too and you can buy that at Target and it's good quality for the low price.

Loreal owns Lancome......and almost everything else under the sun :) Go on their website and check out how many companies they own, it's amazing.

I am a big fan of Loreal's Double Extend tube mascara, it coats each lash into a tube that washes off easily with warm water.

I have just been introduced to Urban Decay's brightening primer... I think I like it but have noticed my face breaking out ...which is usually unheard of.

What makes a primer work???

Seriously, most of the cosmetics companies are owned by either L'Oreal or Estee Lauder :p

I'm a huge fan of Laura Mercier's oil-free primer from Sephora. Not sure what makes it work, but my makeup doesn't budge. Of course, I also use Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray.

I heard of the Pretty Hands and Feet as a facial exfoliater, but I thought feet exfoliater was for really rough, dry, thick skin and my face doesn't have that kind of skin. What exactly does it exofilate off your face and how often do you do that??.

I just used it once a week. It is not rough at all...it is a lotion that really deep cleanses my face and leaves it soft & smooth...and I follow it up with a very light cream for the day with SPF in it.:) Really!! It feels like a wonderful facial ...but for a lot less then a spa treatment!

But...I'm out - and can't find it anywhere in town! :(

which stores carry the Monistat anti chaffing gel and the price?thanks!

I bought it at Walmart and it was less than $4 for the tube. Per oz, it was a tiny bit cheaper than the Lanacane anti-chafing gel and that's why I chose the monistat. I imagine if it's a good seller, Walmart will have its own generic version in a couple year:rolleyes:

I bought it at Walmart and it was less than $4 for the tube. Per oz, it was a tiny bit cheaper than the Lanacane anti-chafing gel and that's why I chose the monistat. I imagine if it's a good seller, Walmart will have its own generic version in a couple year:rolleyes:

I know CVS has a generic of it. But it's more liquidy..I don't like it as much as the original monistat brand.

Here it's like $7 or $8..I've only found them at Walmart and CVS so far.

Seriously, most of the cosmetics companies are owned by either L'Oreal or Estee Lauder :p

I'm a huge fan of Laura Mercier's oil-free primer from Sephora. Not sure what makes it work, but my makeup doesn't budge. Of course, I also use Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray.

Ohhhh How do you like the UB all nighter spray??? I am going to branch out and try other primers and a few people have mentioned LM oil free primer so it is on my gotta try list.

LOL Loreal owns the company *I* work for.....that said, I used Loreal drug store products like the Mascara and such way before Loreal bought us.

Has anyone tried using the primer with mineral makeup? Concerned it would cake up....

I don't use mineral makeup, but I thought the whole marketing deal about mineral products was that they're all you need? That essentially the base coat you put on IS the primer?

I don't use mineral makeup, but I thought the whole marketing deal about mineral products was that they're all you need? That essentially the base coat you put on IS the primer?

NOOOOO... you NEED primer with mineral makeup, it might be optional with liquid makeup, but the mineral makeup will look cakey (especially in fine lines) if you don't use primer first (and allow it a couple minutes to set before applying the makeup).

I haven't tried the Monistat cream as primer but if it's the same as Smashbox like everyone says, it should be fine. I've tried Smasbox (and I don't like it, personally, but it's very popular so to each his own) and it was fine - didn't do a great job of smoothing out my complexion, but definitely didn't get cakey at all either. FYI, I definitely prefer Laura Geller's Spackle, $25 for a pretty big container of it, available at drugstore.com, fills in large pores & fine lines better than anything else I've tried, and is cheaper per ounce than almost any other primer (including the L'Oreal stuff you can now find at drugstores).

Ducklite, Did you know that Lancome owns and produces L'Oreal? In a pinch you might want to try one of their mascaras. One of their formulas might be very similar to Definicils at half the price. Good luck:D

They may own the company but they're lothing alike. :)

Has anyone tried using the primer with mineral makeup? Concerned it would cake up....

Yes, in fact the popular BE has a makeup primer called "Barevitamins Prime Time"

Haven't tried this brand but seems to have good reviews and they have one for face, oily skin and eyelids.

Has anyone found something to get rid of brown age spots on face?? So far, I've managed to dodge them on my face.

No one has said what blush they use and if it looks natural. Bare Escentials makes wonderful blushes.

Has anyone tried the foundations that are clear and change color to skin tone..Almay?

Can someone post some great looking natural lipstick colors that last?? I found Lancome makes the best lipsticks for me but I haven't found any brand that lasts a long time without drying out my lips too much.

Has anyone had great success with teeth whiteners?? Ahh now we're talking! I priced the drugstore varieties and decided for the cost, I'd rather get mine whitened by my dentist. I didn't realize that my teeth were rather dingy until we had a formal portrait taken on a cruise. The picture was beautiful...until I looked at my smile. I was into the dentist within a week and what a difference! It is worth the cost.

Thanks for help in advance. S

Hope this helps. :)