Cruise Credit vs. Onboard Credit?

swdke

What's the difference between Cruise Credit vs. Onboard Credit?

A cruise creit is basically a count of the number of Princess cruises you have taken.

With 5 cruises, you get Captain's Circle Platinum status. With 15 cruises, Elite status.

You do get an extra cruise credit if traveling solo in a cabin and/or if in a full suite, so it is not always exactly the number of cruises.

Onboard credit is $$$ that is on your shipboard account and anything charged to your account is deducted from it before you start to owe Princess money.

Cruise credit can mean two things:

1) Cruise counts towards Circle status

2) Credits off the fare of a future cruise you book. For instance, you may purchase a Future Cruise Credit on-board for $100 which counts as your full deposit amount for a future sailing, and gives you a small on-board-credit on the sailing you book with it.

You also get "cruise credit" of $25 off your next sailing for every person (who hasn't sailed with Princess before) you refer who sails within 4 years. It seems like no one mentions that on this board; people go to such extremes to save $20, but I haven't seen this mentioned (I must admit, though, I certainly don't read every thread, and I might have seen it and forgotten, too:confused:). We'll get $100 off our next cruise just by making sure we referred our friends before they made their reservation for the trip they're going on with us!

There are two uses of the term "cruise credits" with Princess. The first, is a count of the number of cruises plus the number of times you have a suite plus the number of times you sailed solo. Cruise Credits are one way to qualify for higher levels of the Captain's Circle.

The other Cruise Credit refers to amounts that you have accrued that can be used towards the cost of a cruise. You get these for things like referring a friend or family member and having them take a cruise. You also have $100 cruise credit for each unused FCC you have.

Onboard credit is used to pay the onboard purchases you make. It can go toward things like tips, excursions, beverages, the shops, etc.

Archived