Glory Stuck In Nassau............

nassaucruiser

tcsmithh, you have MUCH to learn. My hubby works on a $400 million ship in the middle of the GOM...it constantly has unexpected things go wrong. It has a joystick and it has monitoring on all vital equipment...but even then unforseen things happen. He's an electrician and things constantly go down without warning on the ship...so yes, there are monitoring systems, no, they are not the end all be all of shipboard efficiency.

Wow! Are you sure you went to St. Maarten?? And you didn't like "the people" of St. Maarten either?? That really throws me....... it's called the "Friendly Island" and our experience has been that locals are wonderful and very friendly. Some incident must have happened to completely turn you off on the people. Well, whatever floats your boat................

We'll still return as often as we can and love intereacting with locals and visitors alike. I feel that missing St. Maarten when it was scheduled as a port would be a major blow to a cruise. We select a vacation venue based on what we want to see and experience, not just for the ride.

I shouldn't have said the people of St. Maarten...just the people I encountered in St. Maarten. Our experience wasn't good...I have to say that when I visited it was many years ago...maybe things have changed since. I won't know beause I don't desire to go back. When I was there the people wouldn't let you walk 2 feet without tryingto sell you something...which is fine, but then would become totally irate if you didn't purchase something. It would have been impossible to buy something from everyone who had something to sell....they were all over the place. At first it was OK...then after being there all day with people following you around, it gave me the creeps....not because they were creepy...but it was totally my issue of feeling crappy because of their conditions.

The beach we went to was right at the 'flight line' coming into the landing strip of the airport. The planes flew so low over the beach that you were literally sand-blasted when they flew over because they were down so low...

Although, my husband did enjoy the views at that beach since it was of the topless variety. ;)

Yes...and the poverty did get to me...it seemed extreme and although I understand the difference in cultures from country to country, it isn't pleasant seeing people in such conditions when you are on an expensive vacation....for me, at that time, it just made me feel guilty and sad...so all in all it was not a pleasant experience....but that is just my opinion. I'd rather be in the Keys.

I understand that most islands have poverty...these people just seemed so DOWN...I can't even describe it...it was different (to me) from other islands. Plus, like I said, I didn't find the island itself to be beautiful at all....but again, this was a lot of years ago...so maybe things aren't as bleak there as they once were.

Story aired on WIXT Channel 9, syracuse, NY about the Carnival Glory and who were the people who got the offer to get off the Cruise.

Carnival told Dan Cummings at WIXT, that the offer to get off were for

certain curcumstances, so basically they changed their story.

I do not know if it will be on the website, but everyone can check at

http://www.wixt.com

Archived