Glory Stuck In Nassau............

nassaucruiser

For those who offered opinions, Carnival has provided $100 per person refunds for the missed ports... Things happen, so I will not fault Carnival. IMHO, a week at sea beats a week at work. Despite the change in ports, there is still no cellphone, no fax, and no work stress. Life is good! Regards!

So I guess now that we have all sliced and diced the Glory's status, gotten a first hand report as well as the actual "comp" that was in fact made, AND we have all decidedly conveyed how we WISH Carnival or any cruise line for that matter to comp us if the same thing happened, do you think it is now time to turn ourselves away from fantasy, back to reality and discuss just what we would spend that $100 bucks on?

Because we can throw this ball back and forth over the net indefinitely and only one thing will be certain, that certainty is that some folks will never be satisfied with any "comp" offered and even more so if they think they can get something more. Yet, I can can attest with certainty one thing, I'd rather be on that hobbled boat in Key West than be driving to work in the morning sez I!

again, I see things from a customer service perspective. Having my own company, its all about keeping people happy.

And to make them happy, I'm sure there's a pecking order.

You start out small, to test the waters. I'm sure up front you know how much you'll offer at max, and possibly exceed that, possibly on a rare occasion. For some, they take the initial offer. Others want the far extreme.

On a cruise, to a person that wasn't planning on getting off the ship, and they exist, the $100 per person would probably be fine.

For those that are planning a wedding at one of the stops, it is not.

And everything in between.

You cannot make everyone happy, but you wouldn't offer a free cruise or percent off to all right out of the gate.

I'm sure in all these instances, someone is getting more than what you read here...or not.

But it's all about how you go after it.

What exactly is the problem, anyway? Someone said the Starboard Propeller? That could be lots of things. The prop itself (Drydock for sure), the variable pitch controls, (maybe drydock), the electronics for the variable pitch, the motor, the motor controls, and so on. It sounds like the starboard propeller will only run so fast, so they have to cut back on the port prop to match it, thus the speed loss.

Anyone hear anything for certain?

So I guess now that we have all sliced and diced the Glory's status, gotten a first hand report as well as the actual "comp" that was in fact made, AND we have all decidedly conveyed how we WISH Carnival or any cruise line for that matter to comp us if the same thing happened, do you think it is now time to turn ourselves away from fantasy, back to reality and discuss just what we would spend that $100 bucks on?

Because we can throw this ball back and forth over the net indefinitely and only one thing will be certain, that certainty is that some folks will never be satisfied with any "comp" offered and even more so if they think they can get something more. Yet, I can can attest with certainty one thing, I'd rather be on that hobbled boat in Key West than be driving to work in the morning sez I!

touche! :D

This from the Miami Herald

CARNIVAL GLORY HAS TECHNICAL GLITCH

A Carnival Cruise Lines ship that departed from Port Canaveral on Saturday has had to change itineraries after it developed a technical problem related to its starboard propulsion system.

The Carnival Glory is unable to operate at normal speed, because it is running on only one -- rather than two -- propulsion units, said Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz.

When the vessel reached its first port of call, Nassau, Bahamas, technicians were flown in to work on the problem, she said. But because it will take time to make the repairs, the ship's remaining ports of call -- St. Thomas and St. Maarten -- were replaced by Freeport and Key West.

The ship will return to Port Canaveral as scheduled on Saturday.

De la Cruz said it is unclear when the ship's propulsion unit will be fixed.

About 50 of 3,370 passengers opted to get off the ship in Nassau. They were flown back to Orlando and will receive a pro-rated refund for the unused portion of their cruise.

Everyone else is receiving a $100 shipboard credit due to the change in itinerary, de la Cruz said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/10965938.htm?1c

Okay, I just got off the phone and the rep said that it is still in progress to get fixed and to call back tonight or in morning and they should know by then if it is fixed. HOwever, she said it would not be cancelled for this saturday but may have port changes. She mentioned getting ship credit if this happens, and having the opportunity to cancel for a refund if changes are made before the ship actually sails. I will call tonight again and post update in the morning if I hear anythign.

I called last night and everything is still on schedule for all other sailings. They are saying that only the current Feb 19th sailing is affected and all others are okay as of right now. They said to keep calling each day to make sure, but as of now, nothing has changed for 26th sailing. I will probably call again this afternoon.

I just called Carnival and we are sailing on the 19th of March and she said no other cruises will be affected only the cruise of 2/19. Lets hope she knows what she is talking about. She had to go ask another manager to find out as she was not aware of any problems at all on the "Glory"..

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that we can get to all our ports.

Laurie :)

I hope the ship is fixed in time for everyones cruise. When you are planning to go to certain ports and they change it on you, it disrupts a planned vacation. But I give Carnival a lot of credit for last minute replacing the ports with others that they can make it to. Last year I went on RCCL Explorer and we did not stop at two ports. One because of weather but also we did not stop at their out island which was in Haiti. There was unrest going on and they thought it would be unsafe. They did not look for other ports to go to. They knew before we left that we would not be stopping but instead they figured we'll have another day at sea to spend money on board on drinks and bingo. At least Carnival compensated people $100, RCCL gave us nothing - no compensation at all.

Wherever you go, have fun and enjoy.

I hope the ship is fixed in time for everyones cruise. When you are planning to go to certain ports and they change it on you, it disrupts a planned vacation. But I give Carnival a lot of credit for last minute replacing the ports with others that they can make it to. Last year I went on RCCL Explorer and we did not stop at two ports. One because of weather but also we did not stop at their out island which was in Haiti. There was unrest going on and they thought it would be unsafe. They did not look for other ports to go to. They knew before we left that we would not be stopping but instead they figured we'll have another day at sea to spend money on board on drinks and bingo. At least Carnival compensated people $100, RCCL gave us nothing - no compensation at all.

Wherever you go, have fun and enjoy.

AGAIN....weather and mechanical failure are two differant things. Ask any insurance company! Very seldom is a weather related situation insured. (act of god)

I too have missed ports due to weather....&*^% happens..........and that was the way it was treated and people understood. :) Mechanical failure is the situation with the Glory.:(

Since you are on board could you tell us, have they fixed the problem?

Traveling 2/26 am on pins and needles

No, they have not fixed the problem. We are still running on one screw only. Yesterday we pretty much just floated around lazily in the ocean sucking up the sun. Our CD, Carlo Lombard and his staff have gone out of their way to make everybody happy, except the few that nothing would make happy.

If there are any lawsuits that come out of this, the only ones that will make money is the lawyers representing them. Each and every ticket says that they have the right to change itineraries. We knew that going into this cruise.

What we have heard said more than anything on this ship is "I'm an adult. Life isn't perfect and as an adult, I can deal with disappointment." So we're floating around for two days...this cruise was supposed to have two sea days anyway.

We talked to Carlo last night and he said that it's unfortunate but most people are dealing with it. He never did say if the ship would be fixed for the next cruise but as I said earlier, I know it's only using one screw right now.

No, they have not fixed the problem. We are still running on one screw only. Yesterday we pretty much just floated around lazily in the ocean sucking up the sun. Our CD, Carlo Lombard and his staff have gone out of their way to make everybody happy, except the few that nothing would make happy.

If there are any lawsuits that come out of this, the only ones that will make money is the lawyers representing them. Each and every ticket says that they have the right to change itineraries. We knew that going into this cruise.

What we have heard said more than anything on this ship is "I'm an adult. Life isn't perfect and as an adult, I can deal with disappointment." So we're floating around for two days...this cruise was supposed to have two sea days anyway.

We talked to Carlo last night and he said that it's unfortunate but most people are dealing with it. He never did say if the ship would be fixed for the next cruise but as I said earlier, I know it's only using one screw right now.

BRAVO!!!!

I hope that if I ever get 'screwed' (LOL!) by a running on just one screw, ;) that I will be sailing with people with your attitude!!! I'm thrilled to see that 'most' people on board are dealing with the situation in a positive manner. All hope in humanity is not lost :)

So is it fixed or not? I can't believe one person can say it is and another say it's not. Are we talking about the same ship here? One says "everything is back to normal" and another says "it's not fixed yet".

Another thing that bothers me is you get different answers from different people at Carnival. The Carnival Website hasn't even mentioned it at all.

Based on this latest post I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the 2/26 sailing don't find anything out until they get to the pier.

So is it fixed or not? I can't believe one person can say it is and another say it's not. Are we talking about the same ship here? One says "everything is back to normal" and another says "it's not fixed yet".

Another thing that bothers me is you get different answers from different people at Carnival. The Carnival Website hasn't even mentioned it at all.

Based on this latest post I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the 2/26 sailing don't find anything out until they get to the pier.

I totally understand your frustration with Carnival in this matter...and sadly, you may be right about not finding out anything accurate. My advice is to think positive and do lots of praying. Seriously, you have no control over this so let it go before you drive yourself nuts. Hopefully it will all turn out well and you'll have a great time. A little optimism goes a long way.

I wish you happy sailing! :)

I am also scheduled for the 2/26/05 Glory cruise. I understand that those that live in cold weather will look forward to cruise in warm weather no matter where it goes. However, I live in Cocoa Beach on the beach, so a cruise to "nowhere" or the Keys is not of interest to me.

We are all getting conflicting information. Cruiser on board states that ship is still going with only 1 engine. I called Carnival this morning. The first thing rep said was that "there is nothing wrong with Glory." I advised of what above cruiser said. She checked with supervisor and then came back and told me that they had flown technicians to Bahamas for "fix" and everything was fine. It looks like we won't know until ship actually sails.

Question - I really don't want to go on this cruise if ship is not fixed. Is there anyway to determine if ship is fixed before sailing - and if it is not - will Carnival refund my money for cruise if I don't go?

Thanks for the help

Archived