Glory Stuck In Nassau............

nassaucruiser

Not entirely true on Carnival. See their vacation guarantee at http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/vacation-guarantee.aspx

Reread that vacation guarantee, you have to let them know before the first port that you are disatisfied with the Cruise. These people got us to the first port, let us disembark at Nassau. At that point, nothing had been said.

They waited till we all got back and leaving port to let us know. A select few people were allowed to leave at that point. When confronting the purser's office with this, why were some allowed to get off and not a general announcement to extend to the rest of us, they got totally defensive and indignant. They had a meeting in the Amber room around 3 in the afternoon, for a select group, there was no general announcement extended to the rest of the passengers. They knew when we left Florida we had problems. Read the contract, get us to the first port, they can do anything, reread the welcome aboard book and the policy, basically the same thing. THEY SAID NOTHING, LET US GET OFF, ENJOY THE FIRST PORT AND THEN LET US KNOW that we had problems.

Someone asked earlier if there was any indication of the ship having trouble before entering the port at Nassau. I was standing on our balcony watching us go in. The ship slowed down to about half speed just when the island was in sight. I thought it was strange that it was slowing down so early. I do not believe the rumors that it was broken before we left Port Canaveral. One thi ng that floated around more than drinks was rumors. Every time they got repeated, they got worse.

One thing I don't understand is the people complaining about floating around at sea for two day. Our cruise had three sea days scheduled into it. The Capatin did his best to keep us in warm weather, even to the point of when it got too hot, he started moving faster to create a breeze again. Yes, we went around in circles but if you've ever looked at the itinerary with the VIs, you leave one port in the afternoon and get to the next one the next morning and they are only a few miles apart. What do you do in that time frame...go in circles.

One thing that Norman did that I thought was completely tasteless was at the debarkation lecture. Carlo introduced the cabin stewards, chefs, waiters, and then the Captain. Norman went up there on stage with them like he was one of the crew. I thought that was very tacky. Bottom line-he likes to be the center of attention. He's not the person I thought he was from reading these boards for the past five years.

Reread that vacation guarantee, you have to let them know before the first port that you are disatisfied with the Cruise. These people got us to the first port, let us disembark at Nassau. At that point, nothing had been said.

They waited till we all got back and leaving port to let us know..

I ask again, What time was the Glory scheduled in Nassau, and when did it actually arrive. If it arrived on time, then it seems reasonable that the propulsion problem was not recognized in time to advise the pax.

Has anyone mailed a complaint letter to Carnival yet? I am working on mine and would like to send it to where it would get the most attention.By the way,there is a reference number for our complaints,does anyone have it? If not,i'll get it from my wife and post it later.

I am glad to see not everyone had a terrible cruise,actually,we made the best of it ourselves.but at the same time,I believe Carnival deceived us and should be held accountable.As for my own story,I live a block away from the beach in Florida and drive to Key West on a regular basis.I have been to Freeport (which I think is the very worst port of call)and Nassau on a 4 day cruise.In no way does this compare to the beautiful islands we paid to go to.I suppose if I lived up North it would be nice to get away but many of our fellow cruisers were from the south.

:confused: I still wonder about ******* normin....does he work for Carnival? is he always by himself? on a previous post I said that alot of folks thought he was kinda creepy...I gotta say,an older guy who wears a different crazy hat everyday and walks around with a frown and a bubble blowing gun is open to question.:confused:

We just returned from the Valor yesterday and heard about the engine problems on the Glory when we returned. It is a disappointment when you miss ports but I don't see how anyone can hold Carnival responsible for engine problems. We cruise because of the ship, the sea, and the opportunity to travel with family members of all ages - we can all be together and we all have things to do that we enjoy.

On the Destiny in 2000, we missed ALL of our ports on a 7 day cruise. We were about half way to our first port when we had engine problems and drifted for about 5 days. Since we were basically stuck in the middle of the ocean, technicians had to be brought in by boat and the part flown over from Europe but I have to say, it was one of the BEST cruises I have been own. The staff was incredible. They had fun things planned all the time, open bar on a couple occasions and free phone calls home. The kids were disappointed about missing the ports but all still had a great time.

On the Destiny in 2000, we missed ALL of our ports on a 7 day cruise. We were about half way to our first port when we had engine problems and drifted for about 5 days. Since we were basically stuck in the middle of the ocean, technicians had to be brought in by boat and the part flown over from Europe but I have to say, it was one of the BEST cruises I have been own. The staff was incredible. They had fun things planned all the time, open bar on a couple occasions and free phone calls home. The kids were disappointed about missing the ports but all still had a great time.

There are quite a few people on this board with attitudes like yours and I will say that I'd love to sail with every one of you...especially if the cruise turns out different than planned. Great attitude!!! :D

Prekteacher, if that is true, then how did some 50-odd passengers on that cruise manage to take advantage of the guarantee?

This is what we wanted to know and asked. When asking at the purser desk we were told "there are 3000 people on this ship do you think we could get everyone on a plane." and that is why they did not let the rest of us know that we could still use the guarentee! Believe this one? When asked why there was a meeting in the Amber room at 3 that day, for a select few, the pursers office totally ignored that question. Carnival people were not upfront.

The Captain should have been doing more of the dirty work in a situation like this and not leaving it to the CD. He is the CEO/Head Honcho and the "buck should have stopped with him" and he should have dispelled all the rumors and he should have kept us informed.

I ask again, What time was the Glory scheduled in Nassau, and when did it actually arrive. If it arrived on time, then it seems reasonable that the propulsion problem was not recognized in time to advise the pax.

It arrived actually earlier than the scheduled time, just like they do most of the time. My personal thoughts on this is that they knew they had problems and had hoped that they could fix them before it was time to leave port at 2 PM. Seeing how they couldn't get it fixed, they then had to scramble to find ports to take us to. They made the announcement around 2:30 of the changes. Lots of people were complaining that they weren't making enough announcements. I thought it was a little more important that the Captain get his ship back in one piece with all the passengers than to make announcements. Carlo kept us as informed as well as could be expected. They made arrangements to dock at the downtown pier in Key West instead of the Naval Pier.

As someone mentioned earlier, we are from the North. The ports weren't the ones we wanted but we still had a great cruise. There were lots of people on there from the north that were disappointed in not getting to St Thomas and St Martin but still enjoyed what we did get.

To anyone that wasn't on this cruise, don't believe half of what you read here. There were rumors floating around constantly and until we hear from Carnival we don't really know what happened and may not ever know. What I do know is that it wasn't worth US gettingupset over. We still had a great cruise and got to meet some fantastic fellow cruisers who kept a good attitude through the week.

In talking to Carlo, he mentioned that they were trying their best to make sure that everyone was happy but some were taking it out on them and there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem. He said that the worst part was that it was bringing the passengers down that wanted to have fun.

:confused: I still wonder about ******* normin....does he work for Carnival? is he always by himself? on a previous post I said that alot of folks thought he was kinda creepy...I gotta say,an older guy who wears a different crazy hat everyday and walks around with a frown and a bubble blowing gun is open to question.:confused:

Calyptoe, as a very good friend of Norman who has cruised with him 6 times I feel qualified to answer a few of your questions. Norman doesn't work for Carnival and I would have been cruising with him if I wasn't already on the Miracle when the Glory left. Norman loves to cruise and brings a lot of joy to many and passengers and crew members (who need a little diversion from the usual weekly group) with his hats. He has in the past organized get togethers, parties and scavenger hunts for people participating on these baords. He is also very informative about the ship and the ports and is most helpful to anyone with questions. He mostly smiles rather than frowns and remembers and shows concern for everyone he meets (maybe the disappointment affected him this cruise and he wasn't his normal self). As far as a bubble blowing gun .... heck, they are a lot of fun!

I read about two dozen people took advantage of the guarantee. Why did you not?

THIS OFFER WAS NOT MADE NOR EXTENDED TO ALL PASSENGERS. We were told that we were being givin $100 ship credit, that was it. When our group leader finally got to the pursers desk and asked why we did not get this option, she was told, there were 3000 people on this ship and they could not get flights for everyone.

Read the welcome aboard book, you have to tell them before you reach to the first port. There was no mention of problems before we docked, it was after they let us off for the day in Nassau. They waited until we all had to return around 2:30. The annoucements were made then.

So hence, we did not get offers, or a general announcement. So how the few got to take up Carnival on this offer, no one seems to have a clue. How they got to the pursers desk before 1000 other people, once the announcement was made is amazing or a miracle. Maybe someone can tell us how this happened. Maybe those people who were not on the cruise have an idea.

So why do you continue to argue with CC'ers who were not on the cruise, but voice their opinions as to what they think is reasonable? I wonder why everyone is jumping on the board after never having been here before.. It would have been so much easier to have known the possibility of these things happening, and what everyone thought would be a good remedy! :)

We are here to help and enlighten, but to jump in and just 'bad mouth' a cruise line that most people on this board 'love, is intentionally bad manners..!

Write your letter to Carnival.. it's the only thing that will get satisfaction for you.. AND, I sincerely hope you get satisfaction. Unhappy cruisers is 'bad for business'.. If you only take the first step, and write a letter, your displeasure will be known to the 'cruise Gods'.. Hollering at us gets you nowhere.. :D IMHO..!

does anyone know what the two port charges would be? The cost of both of them?

Bep......Profit ? $100.00 serious! And by giving the guest $100 credit, how much of that is going to go right back to Carnival for drinks, etc.?

Ours were about 180/pp---I was on this cruise heard alot of people got them refunded, I tried to but almost put the woman at the pursers desk thru the wall b/c she just stood there and ignored everything i was trying to say to her...I think the main reason I will never go on Carnival again is the "Quality" of their staff.

"The technicians have made a temporary repair that has restored sufficient speed to the vessel that we believe will allow us to operate the scheduled itinerary this week," said Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz. "We anticipate the ship will continue to sail a normal itinerary."

That doesn't sound that positive, could be dry dock time

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050301/BUSINESS/503010321/1003

It arrived actually earlier than the scheduled time, just like they do most of the time. My personal thoughts on this is that they knew they had problems and had hoped that they could fix them before it was time to leave port at 2 PM. Seeing how they couldn't get it fixed, they then had to scramble to find ports to take us to. They made the announcement around 2:30 of the changes. Lots of people were complaining that they weren't making enough announcements. I thought it was a little more important that the Captain get his ship back in one piece with all the passengers than to make announcements. Carlo kept us as informed as well as could be expected. They made arrangements to dock at the downtown pier in Key West instead of the Naval Pier.

As someone mentioned earlier, we are from the North. The ports weren't the ones we wanted but we still had a great cruise. There were lots of people on there from the north that were disappointed in not getting to St Thomas and St Martin but still enjoyed what we did get.

To anyone that wasn't on this cruise, don't believe half of what you read here. There were rumors floating around constantly and until we hear from Carnival we don't really know what happened and may not ever know. What I do know is that it wasn't worth US gettingupset over. We still had a great cruise and got to meet some fantastic fellow cruisers who kept a good attitude through the week.

In talking to Carlo, he mentioned that they were trying their best to make sure that everyone was happy but some were taking it out on them and there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem. He said that the worst part was that it was bringing the passengers down that wanted to have fun.

I wish everyone had your common sense.

Also, I'd like to add just my personal opinion on St. Maarten.....I've been there, if you missed that port, all you missed was a LOT of poverty and ugly scenery. It is not a nice island...we rented motor scooters and toured the entire island ourselves....it's not a pretty sight.

St. Thomas is nice, but I wouldn't go back..it wasn't all that great. Seeing it once was certainly enough.

Poverty is all over the caribbean...this may be the only time I take offense at that. My hubby's family is from the caribbean...and considering the history of the islands, this is not unfamiliar territory. I guess I also find it disparaging when people talk about Mexico too. We, in the USA, speak about them in detached terms.

Yes, they may have alot of poverty...but each has it's own culture unique to it's own island. If you go just to look at the land and the houses and they don't look like the coastal USA, then you are missing out. The people most times are what genuinely makes an island/country nice to visit.

I guess it is a bit frustrating for me since I live and work and interact with people from Mexico daily and visit quite often on the top side...no, everything isn't pretty and developed like the USA...but I can point out some places in the USA that make those ugly/poverty ridden places in the caribbean look like paradise.

Quote from Halos: Also, I'd like to add just my personal opinion on St. Maarten.....I've been there, if you missed that port, all you missed was a LOT of poverty and ugly scenery. It is not a nice island...we rented motor scooters and toured the entire island ourselves....it's not a pretty sight.

St. Thomas is nice, but I wouldn't go back..it wasn't all that great. Seeing it once was certainly enough.

Dont even think of visiting Belize then.:mad: I LOVE to visit these places. Of course they are unlike the USA. And of course there is poverty everywhere. I absolutely loved Belize and listening to the history from our van driver. We need to open and our eyes and minds to every part of the world and learn from it. The local people are always so happy and they seem rich with what they have to offer us as guests. We have always been treated so wonderfull from local people on these islands. Take in the culture and learn from it. come home full of gratitude for what we have in the USA. My children see things very differant then alot of there friends because of there visits to mexico. They know how good they have it. But they also love the mexican culture and appreciate the differances. We have employees from mexico and its brought so much joy to our daily work. ITs a pleasure to have them because of there daily happiness. I wish everyone was such a pleasure to work with.:D

If people dont like what they see on these islands.......you can stick to Hawaii, or american resorts with beaches and water sports, but dont insult the life that these people have been dealt...........they depend on our tourism for support.

Many people don't understand the politics in these countries that force this sort of life. I only understand now because I have watched with intense horrific fascination the political antics that have happened in Trinidad in the past 5 years. It really will give you a whole different insight as to why there is the very rich and the very poor and very little middle class. Why the corruption in politics never ends and why the people become apathetic over time.

Until you understand that about the islands, you will truly never get why you see what you see.

Like I said before, I saw some places driving up Galveston island, before you get the Galveston proper that would make your skin crawl and make Mexico look like paradise. These places are in the USA, not some third world country...btw, I saw the same sort of scary poverty in places in Indiana and Illinois when I visited too.

Ours were about 180/pp---I was on this cruise heard alot of people got them refunded, I tried to but almost put the woman at the pursers desk thru the wall b/c she just stood there and ignored everything i was trying to say to her...I think the main reason I will never go on Carnival again is the "Quality" of their staff.

Dylan...... I have been interested in this glory situation just because of that very thing. Although we had a good time on the Carnival Pride a few weeks ago, I had never experienced such poor customer service, or service, in general, on a cruise. I didn't know what to think. :confused: Is this a carnival training issue, or just the way they do things?

Customer service is my life, and gets me through everyday. I have to be on top of my game. There is psychology involved. :D the guests on this glory cruise could have been kept upbeat enough to make it not so miserable for the people that were not upset with the situation. (not everyone was upset, until it rubbed off on them) Its all in how you treat people. This entire situation is a great source for some school reports in Feb.6th phy/320 human motivation class. I am putting a folder together for my son to use. :D

Dylan...... I have been interested in this glory situation just because of that very thing. Although we had a good time on the Carnival Pride a few weeks ago, I had never experienced such poor customer service, or service, in general, on a cruise. I didn't know what to think. :confused: Is this a carnival training issue, or just the way they do things?

Customer service is my life, and gets me through everyday. I have to be on top of my game. There is psychology involved. :D the guests on this glory cruise could have been kept upbeat enough to make it not so miserable for the people that were not upset with the situation. (not everyone was upset, until it rubbed off on them) Its all in how you treat people. This entire situation is a great source for some school reports in Feb.6th phy/320 human motivation class. I am putting a folder together for my son to use. :D

I worked in customer service for 5 years before i quit a year ago and would have never treated anyone the way we were treated at the pursers desk...I know it is a very stressful job...trust me I had to be medicated my last 4 years of working for an insurance company (and probobly should have been for this cruise...:) ) dealing with screaming people everyday, so i understand this is very stressful and they probobly just had enough of hearing everyone complain...but it was very stressful to us the way they handled it if they would have told us about the problem before our first port i would have taken advantage of the vacation gaurantee along with 3000 other people and flew to St thomas where I really wanted to go... As I had said before we did have a great time it was better than being in the 10 inches of snow i am in now! I don't think they would be as rude if this didn't take place they were just tired of hearing anyones complaints.

Poverty is all over the caribbean...this may be the only time I take offense at that. My hubby's family is from the caribbean...and considering the history of the islands, this is not unfamiliar territory. I guess I also find it disparaging when people talk about Mexico too. We, in the USA, speak about them in detached terms.

Yes, they may have alot of poverty...but each has it's own culture unique to it's own island. If you go just to look at the land and the houses and they don't look like the coastal USA, then you are missing out. The people most times are what genuinely makes an island/country nice to visit.

I guess it is a bit frustrating for me since I live and work and interact with people from Mexico daily and visit quite often on the top side...no, everything isn't pretty and developed like the USA...but I can point out some places in the USA that make those ugly/poverty ridden places in the caribbean look like paradise.

TX...I didn't mean for that to sound the way it did...you're right, it sounded really bad. I still don't like St. Maarten...I didn't like the people either. Like I said, we toured that island on our own, not through a tour. What I saw and what I experienced will make me not go back.

I've also been to Mexico...poor as well...but I LOVE Mexico. The people of Mexico are the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever met. I would cruise there, fly there SWIM there again and again. You are comparing apples to oranges when comparing those 2 places. From what I've experienced I prefer Mexicans over most Americans to be honest. That was not my experience in St. M.

BTW...I have every right to like or dislike something, someplace or someone. St. Maarten was not my cup of tea and I stated that that was MY opinion.

I'm sorry about your cruise, but posting about your experience has just helped me. My husband has only cruised once, and didn't much like it, but we were discussing a cruise to Bermuda or renting a house in Nantucket for our summer vacation.

All these posts I've been reading the last few days made up my mind. My husband is a perfectionist, and would not be one to roll with the punches of a cruise like this. I just signed the lease on a gorgeous house in Nantucket, which will no doubt have a much lower probability rate of failure than the cruise...so I wanted to say thank you for reminding me that cruising isn't for everyone, and certainly not for those with high expectations!

Also, good luck with getting fair compensation from Carnival. Some of us are rooting for you....

No problem Halos...I didn't mean you didn't have a right to your opinion...just the way it came out was if you hated the island solely because of the poverty. That is what bothered me.

Also, I'd like to add just my personal opinion on St. Maarten.....I've been there, if you missed that port, all you missed was a LOT of poverty and ugly scenery. It is not a nice island...we rented motor scooters and toured the entire island ourselves....it's not a pretty sight.

Archived