Why do I care WHO is the Cruise Director?

Mom2Evie

I've cruised only 2 times now, once about 10 years ago & once earlier this year. I couldn't tell you who my CD was or if my CD was male or female. I think I've assumed that activities on the ship are sort of standard across the class of ship. I ask this question because I've seen several posts lately about people thinking a particular CD did a bad job, no he didn't, you don't know what you're talking about, CD Bob is much better than CD Joe, etc.

Honestly, why should I care?

Some people apparently focus on the cruise director and how activities are run. On our first cruise we had John Heald. I had read about him on the boards and as we attended the Welcome Aboard show I could immediately understand why people are so drawn to him. It was a great first cruise experience. After that we found the cruise director is mainly someone we hear making announcements but rarely focus on who it is. Apparently some CDs are better than others IF you follow them....we don't.

Until you have a cruise director you absolutely love, you'll probably never notice it. It took me 5 cruises before I joined in on the cruise director band wagon. I had Weeeeeeeeeeeee Jimmy - he was a such a riot. I have not been with John Heald yet, but look forward to it one day.

For now, just enjoy your cruises.

I've cruised only 2 times now, once about 10 years ago & once earlier this year. I couldn't tell you who my CD was or if my CD was male or female. I think I've assumed that activities on the ship are sort of standard across the class of ship. I ask this question because I've seen several posts lately about people thinking a particular CD did a bad job, no he didn't, you don't know what you're talking about, CD Bob is much better than CD Joe, etc.

IF YOU NOTICE, PEOPLE WITH FAVORITE CD'S ARE VERY FREQUENT CRUISERS. AFTER MANY CRUISES, YOU KIND OF GET IN A RUT, AND A LIVELY CRUISE DIRECTOR CAN MAKE OR BREAK THE CRUISE. IT'S JUST A MATTER OF WHO CLICKS WITH WHOM.

MY MOST MEMORABLE CRUISES WERE WITH MALCOLM BURNS. I JUST LOOKED BACK AT THE OLD CAPERS I HAVE, AND DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF THE OTHERS, EXCEPT A KID NAMED JOSH, WHO IS NOW NOT WITH CARNIVAL, HE WAS THE WORST!

IF YOU GET INVOLVED WITH THE ACTIVITIES (IE, TRIVIA, HAIRY CHEST, CORN HOLE, BARTENDER, ETC.) YOU GET TO KNOW THEM, AND THEY ARE THE MAKE OR BREAK YOUR FUN PEOPLE.

JUST MY OPINION!

AUDREY:rolleyes:

I've been on a lot of cruises, but not all on the same line, or on the same itinerary. I think all that makes the difference -- if you keep going on the same cruise line to the same places, activities on board become much more important, and the CD is the one who conducts those.

We don't go to any of them, regardless of the cruise line, so other than paying attention to morning announcements that matter to us -- where to go to get off the ship, for example, or something pertinent to the ships' progress, we don't really know who the CD is, or care.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what type of person you are. I personally don't care, but I'm not going on a cruise for the scheduled activities. I'm going a cruise to relax and do my thing. Cruise directors are there to inform the uninformed and entertain the bored. If you're pretty good at finding your own way and making your own fun, you might never have need to interact with a CD.

We have been on 9 cruises with Carnival and one with NCL. The only cd I remember was on NCL and she was just plain annoying. Loud and screaming all the time with that voice that is like nails on a chalk board.

We attend many of the activities offered and I really could not tell you the name of any of the Cds. They do not make or break my vacation. If they are funny great....I love to laugh. If they are not, I just roll my eyes and walk on.

90 days until next cruise...I will pay more attention to the CD....for an experiment.

I don't care much, but I would rather not have the same one again because they tend to do the same schtick every week and if you've heard it before it can get tedious. Yes, I'm talking about the beloved John Heald who serves the same jokes year in and year out.

I don't care much, but I would rather not have the same one again because they tend to do the same schtick every week and if you've heard it before it can get tedious. Yes, I'm talking about the beloved John Heald who serves the same jokes year in and year out.

Totally agree, but the first time they ARE funny.:D

Yeah they all tell the same corny jokes and really the activities and such are all about the same on every ship (trivia, hairy chest, ice carving etc)as dictated by the CCL beancounters. While they have different personalities I fail to see what added benefits they provide to any cruise experience in any of our 30+ cruises on various cruislines. The constant annoying announcements hawking products (liquor, bingo, shore trips, inch of gold etc) are especially redundant on CCL ships something I have not had to deal with on other cruiselines.

Why?

First off, he coordinates all your entertainment activities.

Second, as the MASTER OF CEREMONIES, or EMCEE of the shows, who would you rather have? Robin Williams, or Dick Cavett?

If you don't care about the community feel that washes over the ship that has a good CD, it won't matter to you.

How do you find out who the CD is on a certain ship - sailing b2b on Freedom in February. I remember particularly annoying one and hope he is not on that one. Is there a site I can go to.

Next year's schedule isn'tout yet. I hear it should be out some time in November.

It will be posted on the left hand side of John Heald's Blog.

I have no answer for you. I certainly don't care at all. Makes no difference to my cruise experience at all. For some, mainly those who really cherish interaction with the staff, it is a big deal. Guess it just comes down to personal cruise style that dictates if it'll matter to you.....

Archived