Bridge Tour

JD26

Yep. Was on the bridge on Saturday... however... you generally have to be at the Diamond Plus level of the repeat cruiser club to get an invite...

Passengers in Suites can also ask their concierge for a Bridge Tour and he/she usually comes through.

We were in a GS on Explorer this past March and got a bridge tour. My DH loved it as he's a US Navy Captain. The concierge offered it to suite passengers, we didnt' have to ask. In 10 days when we cruise Explorer again, we're in a JS so no concierge access or bridge tour. We're going to book a GS Freedom for next fall and hopefully will get a tour of that bridge. It was fun, but they are very big on security and wand everyone and look through anything you carry.

I don't know if it would work on RCI but as soon as we boarded our recent cruise on the -X- Eclipse, my husband went to Guest Services and asked if it would be possible to tour the Bridge.

They bought out a 'Bridge Tour Sheet' and added our names. We received an invitation to tour the bridge the first full day at sea... and it was amazing!

So, it's worth a try. :)

When we were on LOS in the summer, our family bought a bridge tour. They auctioned a bridge tour for 8 people with the proceeds going to the Make a Wish Foundation. I thought that they did that every cruise, but since this was my 1st on RCL maybe it was something special. BTW the bridge tour was awesome and my 7 year old got to blow the horn.

Seems like the bridge tours leave a lot of discretion to the Captain. On Liberty OTS 2 weeks ago, all the suite guests got an invitation for the bridge tour. It was very interesting and the tour was during the sail away from Ocho Rios. We all had to be very quiet until we pulled away from the port, then the Capt talked to us for a bit and we could take pics with him. There was no extra security or wanding of tour guests. They specifically said no children allowed in the invite, but there were several and the concierge who brought us to the bridge or the Capt didn't seem to care because they were allowed. The event last about 45 minutes. If you get the chance, go for it.

One of the posters said, very accurately, that bridge tours are at the sole discretion of the Captain.

Some Captains will not allow bridge tours......while others will allow you to come up......during Code Red......which is either sail away........or docking.

Doing a sailaway from the bridge is awesome, and one poster was able to enjoy that wonderful experience. And, yes, there is no talking, as the Captain, Staff Captain, First Officer, Quartermaster and Pilot are all exchanging words to indicate what lines are to be released first, than all lines.......then beginning to maneuver out.

It is a very rare occasion to let anyone on the bridge for a sailaway, that the Captain does not know.......as he/she would not want any distrubance while concentrating on getting the ship to sea.

There is no reason not to ask for permission to have a bridge tour, but mostly it is limited to D+ and sometimes suites.

If you are very interested in having a bridge tour, bring cards and envelopes, and write to the Captain.....with your request, and why. You may be granted your wish.;)

Rick

We did ours on our last sea day going back to NJ around 12:45 so not during docking or sailaway. Suite guests are very commonly given tours. I've read multiple posts from people in suites on many different ships who had bridge tours. We also talked to several suite guests on the tour that had toured other bridges as suite guests.

I'm also surprised there was no security before anyone was allowed on the bridge (as Jay said) as that seems to be standard practice.

Archived