worried about the Zuiderdam????????????

imagolfer

I am booked with a friend to cruise on Holland America in February through

Panama Canal. I am disappointed with the remarks about this ship.

Does anyone have anything good to say or should I rebook on another ship??

I'm taking my first river cruise in a few weeks on Uniworld's River Beatrice, what's the chance of upgrade? thanks imagolfer who loves to cruise...........

I sailed on the Zuiderdam three years ago. Before our cruise I read reviews that said it was nothing but a rust bucket. We had a fabulous time.

Before our Maasdam cruise I read some scathing reports. We went and had an even better time.

What have you read that concerns you? You might want to post on the HAL board as you might find more people that can answer your concerns. My experience on the Zuiderdam is a bit dated, but I'm sure you'll find people there with more recent experience.

Debbie

I'm being completely honest here because you asked. We sailed on her last May and hated her. Tacky, worn, just plain bad. She has her highlights don't get me wrong, but we really didn't enjoy sailing on her and it has infact put us off HAL for the future. Reading some of the reviews I can see we weren't alone in this.

I took this cruise last November. We thought the ship was very nice. There were beautiful fresh flower arrangements everywhere and lots of great paintings and sculptures. My only irritation was fellow passengers who could not follow directions when waiting to leave the ship for shore excursions. The staff was so kind and helpful.

Marcia

We went to Alaska on the Zuiderdam in August 09. While she wasn't immaculate and there were definite signs of wear and tear in the public areas there wasn't anything that stood out as being particularly sub-standard. I understand that these ships get "rode hard" so it's next to impossible to keep them pristine at all times. The crew does a pretty good job keeping things spick and span IMO, even in the areas that are getting a bit 'tired'. However, we had the spectacular Alaskan scenary to look at instead of rust spots or faded seats so we probably didn't even notice some of the things that seem to trouble people on different itineraries.

I sailed her in 2003, at that time I found the ship to be beautiful. The staff was wonderful. Food very good. Shows excellent.

Only two things that I felt could be improved. We only had a waiter in the mdr (no assistant) he had a lot of tables, so it was hard to get say your water refilled.

I enjoy hanging at the pool during the day, but on that ship no music and the loungers were touching each other.

So you see those two things I listed were barely complaints. I had a wonderful time and would sail her again.

Archived